Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

359 results found

1. gcode

Hello!

I would be absolutely DELIGHTED if you could introduce a way to export G-Code from Illustrator. I have a laser engraver (Cubiio) and the only way I can turn vectors into G-Code at the moment is by using Inkscape and an extension by J Tech Photonics. I hate Inkscape with a passion so I grind my teeth every time. This is what I have to resort to when working with vector files that I would like to convert: https://cubiio.muherz.com/gcode_instruction.html

There is a G-Code extension available for Illustrator, created by https://diegomonzon.com/illustrator-to-gcode/ , but I have been unable to get it…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Remove the "legacy" designation from Save For Web.

Save For Web was marked as "legacy" when Export For Screens was added, with the implication SFW would be vanishing at some point. It's seven years later and SFW is still around, and still what I use 100% of the time over EFS and the terrible Export As... options.

Save For Web is a great tool for someone creating art with Illustrator; it lets me quickly and easily adjust the file format and resolution of the generated image for whatever I may need, and uses most of the screen to show me exactly what I'll be getting.

Export for Screens?…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Clip to Artboard selection before rendering Preview

When I have a large project with many artboards and I want to export just one, I always have to wait for the entire project to render before I can select Clip to Artboard. If however, there was a dialog box asking clip to the artboard or not before rendering the preview, it would save the time of rendering a preview that isn't always necessary.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Return / make optional ability to indicate subfolders in artboard name / path

In previous versions it was possible to make name of artboard as "folder/subfolder/artboardname" and while export it would reproduce whole hierarchy of subfolders.
    It was super nice for organizing assets.
    Now it saves file in base directory and replaces "/" with "-".
    Maybe we can put this option to settings so that people may continue to use it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Save as PDF with multiple artboards is slow

Just had an long trail/error chat with you. We found the problem and thats why i post it here:

When having a illustator file with 1 image and 4 artboards. (segments of the image). We print & mount the 4 artboards it to make a complete wall vinyl graphics.

When i Save as PDF the export will take lets say 4 minutes. (it very depends on what image is used) but when i merge all artboards to 1 artboard it saves in 1 minute. So it means that per artboard the export time is multipled by number of artboards.

Sometimes…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Improve compatibility of object's features between Illustrator and InDesign

It's about 80% easy to share an object such as a logo or ad design or similar between the two packages, which is facilitated by the programs sharing an overlapping feature set.

With some features, such as gradients (InDesign to Illustrator) and type (Illustrator to InDesign) there are serious problems and the feature either doesn't travel across or is corrupted in the process. These problems mean that some parts of your project will easily copy and paste (or travel via PDF export) yet others fail.

It's not uncommon to use Illustrator as a publishing software for web assets and…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. .obj asset file multiple group/layer hierarchy

It’s very cool that you can export 3d models as obj - when I try to import the obj file Into blender, the group objects become scattered and lose there positioning that I have created - please make it so that when I import the file all of the objects are together / grouped as I intended and not scattered - great job on the new update 👍🏻

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Assets panel multiple selection with just mouse

I want to use mouse and "Ctrl" to select assets I want to export in Asset Export panel. But I can't do that. Mouse works only as per 1 selection. Yes, I can hold "Ctrl" and click on different assets or use Shift to select some, but that not useful for me. Sometimes I want to select big groups of assets located at the beginning and end of the assets list, so I just want to hold "Ctrl" and play with mouse easily and fast by selecting any items.
    ****, it's like you just holding "Ctrl" and selecting folder with…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Exporting SVG icons to use for web overrides classnames colours get all messed up

When you have multiple icons exported in SVG to use for web, once its introduced in the code their classnames get overridden and the colours get messed up of all icons.

Our programmers are having to open each icon in text editor Atom/Sublime and change the name of the class names for a different and unique name to avoid overriding between files. It's quite frustrating and time consuming for them.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Dirk Schulze responded

Hi Guillermina,

File > Export > Export As provides an option to create unique class names and IDs to avoid clashes when merging different SVG files into one document. In the SVG options panel select “Unique” under “Object IDs”.

Does this address your issue?

Greetings,
    Dirk

10. Allow to filter files in Recent menu/section to include only AI documents and exclude chosen formats like PDF, JPEG, TIFF, Save a Copy, etc.

RECENT FILES SHOULD IDEALLY BE ONLY AI DOCUMENTS.

If I have exported say 10 jpgs in my previous session, on start-up my RECENT FILES is over-run with those JPG file names. They all have the same thumbnail too. That's outrageous!

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Baked-in colors when exporting Obj's

I'm new to working with 3D objects in illustrator but I'd very much like to use Illustrator in my 3D workflow. Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but I was confused to see that the obj's I exported had no color. Is there a way to attach colors when exporting these?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Adobe Illustrator CC is integrated with InVision Studio. When designing prototypes in Illustrator CC it can be exported directly to InVision

Adobe Illustrator CC is integrated with InVision Studio. When designing prototypes in Illustrator CC it can be exported directly to InVision Studio. Adobe Illustrator supports 100% technology from InVision Studio.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Be able to create a finished vector repeat tile from Pattern Editing Mode.

Currently, the only way for a designer to get a final tile from a repeat pattern created in pattern mode is a clunky workaround involving dragging the fill swatch art from the swatches panel to the artboard and then working with the bounding shape to create a cropped, repeatable tile for export. We need a button to click inside pattern mode that creates a tile from the artwork inside pattern mode that is perfectly cropped (could be a clipping mask) but will retain all the live content that typically gets expanded when you exit pattern mode. This option should…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. CMYK separations

I'd love to be able to save/export a file into 4 separate files of CMYK. I know you can print separations but I'd like to be able to save the separations as separate files. It would be a lot easier then to reprint film for the printing press etc

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Issue transferring dwg file to Temp folder

Is there any possibility in Ai, when we export or run the script on the Ai file and we get only dwg file without that png (bitmap image) so that we can add only dwg file in Temp folder and it will get convert into .svg file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. New symbol info window should retain properties of previously created symbol

When creating a new symbol, it should remember not only the export type, but the symbol type and registration as well, instead of having it default to dynamic-center every time. Usually when creating symbols, they are of the same type as the last. This is how Flash handled symbols way back in the day and it was an invaluable time saver for projects containing dozens of clips (such as site plan artwork).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Please add automated color bar, separation color information - Print PDF output

Hi! I am missing a choice in PDF save or export. In the print industry is needed to add colour information for the customer, what colours is the artwork made from - esp. when we use solid colours. Customers need this for the approval process so we have to add this colour-bar manually. In the PDF (composite PDF) window there are Marks and Bleed choices, but there is missing a choice to choose a colour information automatically generated from the document colours - separations. The colour information can be graphical (squares with separation names) or text based (separation name…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Artboard preview in Save dialog

In the theme of "recognition over recall," it would be great if the Save dialog allowed you to preview artboards the way the Print dialog does. When I'm working fast I don't always remember to stop and jot down the numbers of the specific artboards I need to export, and it's annoying to have to exit the save dialog, find the numbers, go back to the save dialog, repeat any necessary steps such as setting file name and location, THEN enter my desired artboard number(s) before moving forward. Having the artboard preview as part of the save window would…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Unlink assets from Creative Libraries

After I drop an asset from the library in a document, I want to be able to unlink it, and remove dependencies to an external library.
    In my case, I'm using library to build products that I'm selling, so when I export the products for sale, I need to remove the dependencies to these libraries.

Any designer who sell his products, or share with people external to a team, would have the same need.

We need to keep the flexibility of using a library (to update changes through multiple documents), but we need to make these documents self sufficient.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As stated in the comments, one can place a library item as an unlinked copy with Opt/Alt+dragging on canvas. To embed linked copies, a user can press the Embed button in Control / Properties panels, or choose Embed Image(s) command from the Links panel's flyout menu.

20. Opening Fresco files from the cloud with Illustrator

Hello, it's really great that Illustrator can now open files from the cloud. But unfortunately not the sketches from Fresco. You still have to export them first and then you can open them in Illustrator. It would be great if you could change that, i.e. open PSDC files from the cloud in Illustrator. Thanks a lot

Gabi

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

You are now able to send Fresco files to Illustrator on the desktop with the latest version of Fresco and Illustrator. You can also place embed Fresco files in Illustrator. Please give it a try. In the future, we will also add smoother options to copy paste objects on both the Illustrator surfaces – desktop and iOS.

Thanks,
    Sanjit

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base