Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

  1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

4808 results found

  1. An option for the pen tool to behave like Photoshop

    As a Photoshop user most of the time, I would find it would be much easier to have bezier curve anchors not delete themselves when closing a path or reselecting a path. It would also be great if nudging points with the arrow keys would not interrupt and unselect the current path.

    Some preference to toggle these behaviors would be fantastic!

    2 votes

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Accessibility Feature for Mouse users

    Combining the hand and zoom tools would be ****. Cannot use keyboard shortcuts, left. hand. is unusable. I'm on desktop, mac, mouse only. The toolbar is low contrast can it be a diff color than artboard. I'm also now low-viz user, Illostrator is NOT v welcome to some...

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make Global Edit work in pattern mode

    If I need to replace all ducks in my pattern into chicken, I can surely use symbols... no, I can’t, these aren’t supported in patterns — https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/51662026
    ...OK, I can use Global Edit... no, I can’t. It says nothing it can’t though, it just fails to find copies.
    Please make all things Ai has work with all other things Ai has.

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow to use symbols in patterns

    Imagine I have a star used in several patterns.
    I want to replace it with a donut. I’d have to edit each pattern swatch that uses it and replace each star with a donut (I could have used Global Edit to make it faster, but surprise (no) — it doesn’t work in the pattern mode).

    And if we were allowed to use symbols in patterns, I could have select all the instances of the star in a pattern and quickly replace it with a donut symbol, or just change the core symbol instead, making a copy of it to have…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Handle highlight like in Photoshop

    Why in Photoshop, a raster-based editor, we get Bezier handles getting highlighted when hovered over with Direct Selection tool, while in Illustrator, a vector-first editor, the wannabe-king of vector graphics, we get nothing?

    Just look at the GIFs.
    No, I won’t enable Smart Guides just to see 'handle' and a small 'x' that I barely see, along with all the other labeling and snapping.
    No, changing the style of handles to hollow doesn’t help.

    I’d trade all the Turntables in the world, along with all the GenAI moss you grow on the mighty carcass of Illustrator for this one and…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Make the color of Snap to Grid annotations different

    Some time ago Illustrator reworked snapping to grid to use the Smart Guides engine, to allow both to work at the same time (thanks to this request: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/32421028), display annotations and more.

    But now we have two different snapping behaviors color-coded using the same color.
    Why Snap to Glyph allows to pick its own color, but Snap to Grid doesn’t?
    In a busy document and both snaps enabled, this would help to distinguish two systems easier.

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Suppress messages with no choice in Actions

    I have a very simple action I created ages ago:
    — ungroup
    — release compound path
    — make compound path
    It’s a simple technical action, and I use it co convert single color outlined texts from a group into compound paths (because we never got an option to prefer compound paths for this when possible: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/33627964 and https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/46559167)... why? Because these stay in one piece when exported to a PDF and imported in other apps, for example...

    But I digress. This simple was one of my earliest one, used so heavily I have it at F3.
    ...but when I…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Actions  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Please allow Compound Shapes in patterns

    Patterns are super restrictive. Compound paths are obviously allowed, but compound shapes, being just a tiny bit more complex (from a user’s POV) aren’t.
    I had a specific task where I had to invert some patters from being black or transparent to transparent on black. Using subtract compound shapes was the easiest method that would allow the original intact. Now I have to double them. A minor workaround... scratch that, it’s not. Duplicating pattern swatches is a nightmare.

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Opt/Alt-clicking Recent Colors should apply these to a selected gradient stop

    Opt/Alt just doesn’t work when Recent Colors are clicked to assign one to a selected gradient stop, it works only for the actual swatches.

    Also, there is a report clicking ordinary swatches with Opt/Alt doesn’t always do this as well: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447/suggestions/51498197

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make GenAI tools to be able to use selected artwork as context

    As a branding designer, I often build my layouts directly in Illustrator before using AI tools.

    Illustrator's generative AI tools, especially Text to Vector Graphic, should be able to use selected Illustrator objects as design context.

    Currently, the AI generates new content without understanding the editable artwork already on the artboard. It ignores selected text, vector paths, colors, gradients, and layouts, which makes it difficult to maintain a consistent design language in professional branding workflows.

    I suggest adding a "Use Selected Artwork as Context" option. This would allow the AI to understand selected Illustrator objects and generate graphics that match…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. I hate how this entire software is organized

    This software is beyond confusing and incredibly user UNfriendly, im sure its not hard to add a ******** "Crop" feature

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow isolating a blended object

    I can isolate a blend, to avoid selecting things around/above/below it.
    This includes a spine (if exists) and all the blended objects.

    If I want to isolate further, to edit a single object, without affecting other objects in the blend or the spine, Ai won’t let me.
    Please allow isolating further, like in a group.

    Related requests:
    — Make Isolate work for components of a compound paths/shapes — https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/40684777
    — Allow to isolate a compound path when only a part of it is selected — https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447/suggestions/40684837

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Blends  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. The shortcut key D to save before closing, in Italian country should be the N key

    The shortcut key "D" in a window "save before closing" to select "D"on't Save", in Italian country should be the "N" key for the answer "N"on salvare".

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add Transparency/Opacity setting to Stroke panel

    Add Transparency/Opacity setting to Stroke panel.
    Is fast and intuitive, in stead of going through the Appearance hazzlel for a simple setting.
    Strokes should have separate Opacity settings, so a Path can have Fill and Stroke with different Opacities.

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Auto-toggle Display Print Size at 100% Zoom by RGB/CMYK document; avoid manual Prefs switching

    Illustrator should learn how to pick the proper screen resolution based on the intent of the document... that is auto-disable the 'Display Print Size at 100% Zoom' option perhaps for RGB-based docs for screens and enable it for CMYK-based to-be-print documents.
    I create a lot of BOTH, and I have no idea why should I manually toggle this in Prefs EVERY time I switch between opened documents.

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Linked file is not shown like it should be

    I also found this issue while linking the file between the other apps (InDesign/Premiere Pro).
    Please see the attached pictures for reference.

    I normally linked the file(s) and lay on another size to make a production.
    It's easy to modify the original (one file), and the other linked files will be updated.

    Now I need to export to a photo and re-link the file.

    Why are the advantage functions continuing to disappear?

    Including the Cloud Storage, it is useless. Cannot share or download the file. Modifying the file on the cloud is a nightmare (super lack).
    The old version (shared…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Images, Links  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Help user to show open panels

    Sometimes UI panels are covered by others. When choosing those panels from the menu, a blue outline hints on their position.
    Why not bring it to front? in 99,99 % of the cases, that is what users want.

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 'Click to copy value' button in Color doesn’t indicate the value gets copied clearly

    I don’t like how the 'Click to copy value' button in Color panel is designed — when it gets pressed, it selects the value and that’s it. It makes us think we NEED to copy it, and the button just selects... other editors in similar or related conditions show a shy message or change the icon for the button, indicating the copying happened.

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. registerKeyEventsInterest fundamentally broken in modern Illustrator (silent failure)

    I am reporting a critical issue with the registerKeyEventsInterest API. In modern versions of Illustrator, this function is completely broken for global keystroke interception. Worse, it fails silently with no errors or feedback in the CEF console.

    According to the CEP documentation, we should be able to pass a JSON string to this API to catch key events and stop the host app from swallowing them. But right now, calling csInterface.registerKeyEventsInterest() with a standard JSON payload does absolutely nothing.

    If you set up a basic CEP panel, include CSInterface.js, and try to register interest in a global keystroke, the code…

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. A way to measure the area used by the bounding box, not only shapes within

    I noticed that there is a Measure by Area tool, but it measures the print area. We would like the area it forms that considers the selection rectangle.

    1 vote

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)

    We’ll send you updates on this idea

    0 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

    We're glad you're here

    Please sign in to leave feedback

    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?