Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. adobe illustrator CC 2018 I pay for monthly. The switch from color photo to grayscale feature not available

the Grayscale from color photo feature is not available in my adobe illustrator CC 2018 I pay by the month for. I have to switch photo to grayscale in illustrator 6 then open in CC2018. How can this be corrected. Jer-Anny /Jerry L. Evans

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Non-Destructive Outlined Text - Gradients only show as black

From all the posts I've read, you should be able to have individual gradients per letter once you add a non-destructive outline in the Appearance Panel. I've even seen the steps described many times. However, trying to add an individual gradient per letter/number does not work no matter what method I use to add the gradient fill. The letters only show black or show the gradient across all letters - no matter what gradient I choose. There's seems to be a bug, because I've tried several different ways of adding the colors, even selecting each letter individually, and it will…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Apply transparency to color in "recolor artwork" tool box

Apply transparency to color in "recolor artwork" tool box

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Keep color values when applying freeform gradients

When applying a freeform gradient, Illustrator picks up colors from everywhere around the selected artwork, also the selected object itself. It would be extremely helpful if it could reliably keep the exact color values the object has, so you don't need to adjust it.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. ********** Tolerance Preferences

Please allow the ability to save (or remember) ********** Tolerance Prefs. When I change it from 20 to 1, I want it stay that way the next time I open it, and not have to change it every time. Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Automatic coloring of an inactive element (fill/stroke of shape/text etc.) with RMB (or LMB+modifier keys like Shift, Alt or Ctrl)

Automatic coloring of an inactive element (fill/stroke of shape/text etc.) when you press RMB (or LMB+modifier keys like Shift, Alt or Ctrl) on the color in 'Color', 'Swatches', etc panels.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. I just think the Pantone no. can be changed to any name, sometimes it is quite a trouble to a designer

I just think the Pantone no. can be changed to any name, sometimes it is quite a trouble to a designer. Some Customers need accurate Pantone color instead of CMYK.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. On the free form gradient tool can you allow each circle to be smaller for more detailed illustrations?

This free form gradient tool is my favorite update of all time. But I'd like to be able to have more detail and control. The circles are too big to allow for this and it really limits the tool.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Eyedropper automatically adds colour to swatches

I would suggest a function where eyedropper automatically adds picked color to swatches. Sometimes I take color from the picture and I have to first create an object, use eyedropper and then add it to swatches.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Please make color control a **** of a lot more intuitive

Hi team,

I am familiar with InDesign and Photoshop. I am really trying to use illustrator on a project. I am fairly new to illustrator and am using the latest version as of 10/30/2018. I have to say the way you use and set colors in Indesign is either horribly broken (i.e., Bug) or it is not at all intuitive or similar to other Adobe tools. For example, I want to create a color gradient swatch that is applied to an image and then alter the color gradient and see how it looks. Seems simple - but I have been…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. The ability to set a default colour slider, for instance HSB.

The colour palette always switches back to the default RGB which is frustrating and disturbs workflow. I would like the ability to set a default colour slider, based on the slider you are using in your current project. I mostly use HSB.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Illustrator 2019 Freeform Gradient and compound paths not quite right

When applying a freeform grad to a compound path, the effect struggles to jump a gap between paths, leaving odd results. If you create a path with a "hole" in the middle and create grad its OK. Move the whole fully out of the enclosing shape and its blank, move back into to cross border line and it works correctly with overlap creating hole.

In the attached file, the four squares are a compound path. Top right shows standard linear gradient covering the whole shape. The top left fort squares are supposed to share a freeform grad copied from the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Freeform gradient points to leave boundaries

In the freeform gradient tool if points are dragged outside of the boundaries it deletes the point. Instead I think it would be better if the points worked outside boundaries to allow for smoother gradients.

See example on how a freeform gradient would appear if points could used outside of the borders (you can currently do it by using a clipping mask but it would be easier if it was built into the tool)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. "Go to" used swatch directly from swatch panel

Just like you can click "go to" any link, and InDesign will show you where the link is on the page, it would be great to select all objects per swatch no matter if it's a fill or stroke. Currently the "select similar" option only selects objects with same characteristics. If you sample a filled shape it will look for a filled shape, and it will not detect an outlined shape even if it is the same color. I struggled trying to find an unwanted swatch color. It was hidden behind many layers as an outline with no fill.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Gradient Trouble

Why I can't use gradient onto text? Either I have to curve it or I have to take and extra layer from appearance panel..!! I wish I could directly pic the gradient.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ctrl+Z in Recolor Artwork doesn't work

Seriously, I just can't undo changes while this dialogue is on. Make both undo and redo work there!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors and Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. a bug in gradient tool when applied to text

hi,
    New is illustrator is great in many ways but i have found one bug* or intentional modification by adobe.

it is nice to see live preview of gradient as it is being applied.. for the objects, gradient tool works fine as intended but when it is applied to text, it is buggy, i think.
    once mouse is clicked for applying gradient, after setting colors in gradient panel and new fill from appearance panel, text vanishes entirely, not allowing to see the gradient. once mouse is released, text with applied gradient appears. it is annoying.
    Check video to understand better.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. a bug in gradient tool when applied to text

hi,
    New is illustrator is great in many ways but i have found one bug* or intentional modification by adobe.

it is nice to see live preview of gradient as it is being applied.. for the objects, gradient tool works fine as intended but when it is applied to text, it is buggy, i think.
    once mouse is clicked for applying gradient, after setting colors in gradient panel and new fill from appearance panel, text vanishes entirely, not allowing to see the gradient. once mouse is released, text with applied gradient appears. it is annoying.
    Check video to understand better.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base