Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

117 results found

1. Stability update made Illustrator very unstable

I noticed the 27/07/2020 update described itself as addressing stability issues, which I didn't have. Since the update ran, 3 hours ago, I've had three crashes - all when copying text and graphics together. My crash report crashed too.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. New Illustrator 2020 laggy and slow on the simplest of tasks

Illustrator 2020 is really laggy and slow, only when completing simple tasks like colour picking, moving art-boards, selecting different objects, or even just wanting to zoom in or out.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

General slowness on using Illustrator on Mac is one of the major issues reported in this thread. Illustrator team made significant progress in replacing Illustrator’s GPU rendering engine from OpenGL to macOS Native Metal Rendering Engine – https://developer.apple.com/metal/.
    We have observed common operations like Zoom, Pan, and rendering operations are now smoother in cases where it was sluggish as reported in this thread. We urge Mac users to try the Illustrator Beta build with Metal support and share your feedback.
    Please note, this may not address other performance issues reported in this thread not related to rendering like File Save, Export, or slowness in any particular feature.

This build is available in Illustrator Prerelease Download Section – https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/85A6F544-2705-49BD-8314-DD549C6A1713

3. Illustrator 24.2 EPS title information changed to "Adobe Illustrator Artwork"

Previously when saving eps files, the "Title" information embedded within the file would be the filename. It appears that with version 24.2 the eps title information defaults to "Adobe Illustrator Artwork". Can this be corrected back to the filename? Our RIP uses this title information and now all our files are being processed with the same name.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. BUG: Envelope Distort (with Anti Alias option on) changes colour values of embedded images.

When trying to use Envelope Distort (eg Mesh) and the 'Anti Alias' option to maintain clarity, if the artwork features embedded images (eg a multichannel PSD that must be embedded for Envelope Distort action) it is clearly seen the results with and with AA active are different. Only without use of AA will the colour values remain faithful to the original pre-distorted image.

Whilst I would expect some changes along edges, etc. that would benefit the most from using AA, it is seen across the entire image. This is not correct and renders the Envelope Distort function unusable for these…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Line tool is immune to the Constrain Angle

When you set up Constraint Angle to 30 or whatever is different form 0 or 90, pick up Line tool and hold Shift, it still snaps to 0, 45, 90, 135... instead of 30, 75, 120, 165...

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Anjali responded

Thank you for reporting the issue.
    The engineering team is looking into the concern.

Regards

6. Illustrator 2020 v24.1.1 - "Real-Time Drawing and Editing" can't save new symbol

I tested the new Real-Time Drawing and Editing feature today and found that once I finished my drawing, dragging it over to the Symbols pane to create a new symbol as I normally would resulted in the attached error.

This was the first bit of work I had done since enabling this new feature so I suspected it was the cause and I moved on to two other projects to confirm. One of those worked correctly - the simpler project - and the other did not. So two out of three drawings could not be turned into symbols, and the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. delete anchor point tool selecting bottom object

When two anchors of different objects are layered on top of one another, the delete anchor point tool will always select the bottom object, whether I have the top object selected or not. The add anchor point tool and direct selection will select the top object, but I want to be able to delete the anchor from the top object without having to go into isolation mode. This wasn't the case in the previous version.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  6 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Text with missing fonts do not always highlight

Even though "Highlight Substitute Fonts" is enabled in Preferences, text is not always highlighted when a font is missing. Expected behavior is for text with missing fonts to be highlighted in pink when this feature is enabled.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 78 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This issue was reintroduced in MacOS update Ventura. The team ran into another issue while implementing the workaround suggested by Apple. While the team revisits this issue, users can use workaround this issues by paste through context menu. Thank you all for the patience.

10. Drop Shadow, Outer Glow, Etc. renders incorrectly on large polygons angled lines only.

When I make a drop shadow, outer glow etc. there are places on the shadow that end abruptly in intervals. I make a triangle or any polygon (even a rectangle that is rotated). Go to Effect>Illustrtator Effect>Stylize>Drop Shadow. Multiply:75%:0":0":0.5". Color Black. I've tried other colors and other settings for Blur and Mode. This does the exact same thing using Outer Glow. I have a 66" x 36" artboard on the examples below.

Windows 10 - Illustrator v.24.0.1

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for your support. The team is looking into the issue.

11. Temp file string prepended to filename slug

When saving a PDF copy of a file with cropmarks to a network share a temporary string such as "ai157536670945_" is prepended to the filename in the page info/slug in the cropmark area.

Ai 2020 24.01 Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for sharing the details.
    We are now able to reproduce the issue.
    The team will be looking into the problem.

Thank you for the feedback.

12. Transform Again (Crtl D)

"Transform Again" often doesn’t work on more complex objects.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Letter Spacing

Open Type Letter Spacing doesn’t work properly. If I enable "all caps" the (usually ******) spacing is not applied.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  Anish Kumar responded

Thanks for reporting this issue. We are able to reproduce this at our end and the issue is currently under review.

14. Applescript "open without dialogs" no longer works

I have an Applescript that has the statement

open (thePDFName as alias) without dialogs

In Adobe Illustrator 2019, it works. In Adobe Illustrator 2020, it gives me an "unable to open file" error. When I comment out "without dialogs", it opens the file, but then naturally pops open a dialog (not helpful when you are opening dozens of files!)

MacOS 10.13.6, not sure what other information would be needed.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Clipping mask from a live text is misaligned / resized / distorted

When using a solid swatch filled variable font as a clipping mask (Hepta Slab in the attached example) the clipped paths are misaligned with the font (in display and in selection hovering).

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Svg export

Hi! I met with you at CreativePro conference in Seattle. I would like to see more control when exporting svg from Illustrator. More specifically, the ability to remove the title tag when exporting. If not, that's ok, the svgomg site cleans up svg code well. Thank you!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Cambria text & large text cursor

Looks like this was happening in 2017 as well... when using Cambria font, the cursor is 2 or 3 times as large as it should be when editing text. Makes highlighting & editing multiple rows almost impossible. I'd attach a file but others have shown the same thing already and it's simply a text box with Cambria text and a huge cursor. Text size is 11, height set at 13. In the same document but a text box using BonvenoCF, the cursor is the right height.
    Macbook Pro Mojave 10.14.5
    Adobe Illustrator CC 23.0.4

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Gradient tool issues

1. Handles on on object's Gradient Annotator are difficult to adjust once a gradient has been dropped. Usually, handles simply don't respond. User needs to start from scratch and create a brand new gradient rather than make small adjustments to existing ones.

2. Repeated but not consistent bug: adjusting one gradient causes changes to unrelated gradients on same document.

3. Live preview of gradient tool is prohibitively slow, esp when gradient is anywhere near an existing Effect.

FIX: Allow us to toggle the preview effect.

1. Dropping a color onto the gradient slider, color creates a new color-point onto slider, immediately next to existing…
    16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi All,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We understand your problem and investigating this issue from tolerance perspective of gradient widget on screen and slider.  We will require some specific information to investigate the other Gradient Issues, Kindly add your vote on relevant thread for below issues:

Repeated but not consistent bug: adjusting one gradient causes changes to unrelated gradients on same document. → https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/44461230-adjusting-one-gradient-causes-changes-to-unrelated  

Live preview of gradient tool is prohibitively slow, esp when gradient is anywhere near an existing Effect. → https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/44461233-live-preview-of-gradient-tool-is-prohibitively-slo

Gradient tool on desktop similar to the iPad version! → https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/46159303

Thanks for your patience and support!

Ankit Goyal, Illustrator Team

19. Text missing in SVG files

This is the first time trying to use Illustrator since it updated to the newest version (23.0.1) and updating my Mac to High Sierra (10.14). I have previously used Illustrator to edit SVG files, specifically the text in those files. When I open similar SVG files in the new Illustrator, all of my text is missing. My computer is due for a small update which will go through later tonight but this seems like a bug within Illustrator. When I open the SVG in Photoshop 2019 and re-export it as a SVG, I am able to see the text in…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. The bounding box for lines and narrow objects doesn’t have center handles

Missing the center handles for all lines, unable to extend lines properly (without scaling them) unless I switch to direct selection tool, which is a pain.

87 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

113 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

So it’s obviously not fixed, and we all know it.

While the cursor gets changes into the horizontal/vertical two-headed arrow, the center handles for the bounding box indeed don’t appear, if the width/height of the art (here just an orthogonal line) is small enough.

Please continue to share you thought, screenshots, GIFs. It’s time to re-review this again.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base