Line tool is immune to the Constrain Angle
When you set up Constraint Angle to 30 or whatever is different form 0 or 90, pick up Line tool and hold Shift, it still snaps to 0, 45, 90, 135... instead of 30, 75, 120, 165...
Thank you for reporting the issue.
The engineering team is looking into the concern.
Egor Chistyakov commented
Yes, James, this is almost exactly what I answered in email I sent back to Aishwarya.
I think the behavior of the Line tool should be consistent with the Pen, Rectangle, Ellipse, and Type tools, all of which respect the Constrain Angle.
The Line tool, Polygon, Star, Spiral, Rectangular Grid and Polar Grid tools all seem to ignore Constrain Angle. EDIT TO ADD: Gradient Annotator.
If that inconsistency is intentional, can you enlighten us on the reasoning behind it?
Reply from Aishwarya G Gadodia, Illustrator Team:
Thanks a lot for the quick reply and commenting the same on Uservoice . I don't think its an issue but an expected behaviour , but I could be missing something. So please go through my observation below :
- Changing constraint angle thorough Preference -> General , comes in effect when line tool is rotated pressed with shift modifier . Point to note here is that before rotation notation should be seen and not the anchor point should be selected . It is working in 24.2 correctly
- Changing angles through Preference -> Smart Guides -> Construction Guides , comes in effect and is shown when Construction Guides check box is checked . To use the same preference , without shift pressed drag the line tool across different angles and see that the smart guides shows alignment with respect to the angle set by the user .
- Another point to note is when anchor point is clicked and the line is rotated with shift pressed it , snaps to 0-45-90 angles . (This happens in case when the rotation notation is not observed as mentioned in the first case above )
1. Set a constrain angle, other than 0, 45, 90, etc.
2. Select Line Tool
3. Drag out a Line
4. Hold shift
5. Line constrains to 0°, 45°, 90°, etc. rather than the constrain angle.
6. This behaviour is inconsistent with other tools, eg. Rectangle Tool constrains to Constrain Angle.
From Aishwarya G Gadodia, Illustrator Team:
This mail is with regards to the issue "Line tool is immune to the Constrain Angle" reported on Adobe User Voice forum in Illustrator.
Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you by this issue.
We are unable to reproduce this issue at our side and are trying to find a reproducible step so that we can isolate this issue further.
Will it be possible for you to share a sample AI file and a small video recording with which this issue is getting reproducible on your systems?Will it be possible for you to have an online session with me so that I can isolate this issue further on your system?