Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

359 results found

1. Tool Bar exportable.

Serait il possible de pouvoir exporter ses Barre d'outils perso?
    Comme les espaces de travail il serait pertinent de pouvoir sauvegarder ses paramétrages d'interface pour les récupérer d'une version à l'autre, ou d'une machine à l'autre (changement d'ordinateur, ou de plateforme).
    Ce serait également pratique dans le cas de la perte des Barres d'outils de base quand Ai ne les retrouve plus.

Merci
    Bonne Année

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Import AI smart objects as vectors

If you have a smart object that is a vector (say an .ai file) for use in Photoshop, if you later export the PSD file back to AI, all the smart objects get rasterized including vector smart objects. It would be better if they are converted back to vector (except maybe in situations where they have effects or masks).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Opening Fresco files from the cloud with Illustrator

Hello, it's really great that Illustrator can now open files from the cloud. But unfortunately not the sketches from Fresco. You still have to export them first and then you can open them in Illustrator. It would be great if you could change that, i.e. open PSDC files from the cloud in Illustrator. Thanks a lot

Gabi

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,

You are now able to send Fresco files to Illustrator on the desktop with the latest version of Fresco and Illustrator. You can also place embed Fresco files in Illustrator. Please give it a try. In the future, we will also add smoother options to copy paste objects on both the Illustrator surfaces – desktop and iOS.

Thanks,
    Sanjit

4. Exporting files - range settings resetting for different file types

Is it possible for the page 'range' to reset when exporting different file types? It's really frustrating when I've been exporting a few single pages to jpeg for example, and then when exporting a PDF of the document it retains the page range. It's a small issue, but is pretty annoying!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. We need Watermark Panel

I have suffered several times from clients who have steals my work and doesn’t pay the remaining 50% of the contract because it is a tedious job to make changes to a design and add, each time I need to export the artboard a watermark.

It would be great to have a panel or a checkbox to apply a watermark to the entire artboard and that way we defend ourselves against bad clients easier.

And if we can add our custom watermark, much better.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Place all pages of a PDF or AI file as links - same as InDesign

Working at a design studio, we create digital proofs that are set up on a template so our proof pages all look streamlined. We use one working file (.AI) and place that file as linked images into a separate proof file (.AI).

Currently you can only place one page of the AI or PDF file at a time. This can be really tedious when there are a dozen or more images we want to place. We like to maintain the link so that we don't need to export files to relink to the proof file every time we want a…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Issue exporting PDF larger than 227 inches - compression ppi not at 100%

When exporting a large document in PDF/X-4 2008 for example, and the compression is set to 100 ppi, the image gets exported at 10 dpi instead, and has to be set at 1,000 ppi for the pdf actually read as 100 ppi. ( this happens with any number not just 100 dpi)

This whoever doesn't happen when exporting as Tiff, just when saving as .PDF

I have attached 2 set of screenshots when exporting at 100 dpi and 1,000 dpi and getting the results I was explaining.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Data feature within illustrator

It is possible to merge data from excel, but it would also be a fantastic feature to have an excel feature within illustrator. You can fill a table with datasets and link the data to elements multiple times in different artboards. To change an element everywhere you just need to change it in the table (like objects, but only the data). So several different text boxes and different links to imported images can be edited at once. Would be a great feature for all different sizes for Social Media posts. You set up several different sizes change the content once…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. voice activated commands

What if all your basic commands could be said aloud? For example:
    "File, save, export, save for web, jpg, 72 dpi, save, save to X folder..." or "select same fill color and stroke color, change to PMS246, object ungroup, select tool, select Layer 1, add 2 point white outline"

Why would this be cool?

I am the worst at remembering short keys or using short keys and I'm sure not the only one. When software gets updated, sometimes things get moved in menus and that can be frustrating. I can say the commands faster than I can point, click…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Automatically incorporate the .jpeg .png name into the artboard name

When working with multiple assets (png's and jpegs) and wish to import them in a document for various purposes: resize, remake them as vector for "overwrite" purpose it would be really helpful to:

When importing a .jpeg or a .png file into a document, by clicking on the .png or .jpeg with the arboard tool, instead of creating a generic name, the artboard tool should "take" the name of the file automatically.

When working with hundreds of small assets, it is very painful having to rename every single file in order to batch export them.

Very helpful in, mobile, web…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Complete user-defined default settings

The work I do for my company has certain defaults that go beyond the layout of my workspace. I only use one font, I always need the same set of color swatches, I use the same tolerance amounts, etc. I export to PDFs the same way every time, I essentially need the same options. (And even with a template, I have to start from scratch for many of these options.)

While I can save certain usual elements in my CC Library, I waste so much time saving and opening and searching. AND even then, I still have to reset the…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. PDF Bookmarks named with the Artboard Titles

Similar to this request for XD:
    https://adobexd.uservoice.com/forums/353007-adobe-xd-feature-requests/suggestions/18995113-pdf-bookmarks-named-with-the-artboard-titles

When exporting artboards to a PDF, the artboard title should be included in some way.

I think this could be as simple as creating a bookmark for each artboard.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Please make the slicing more like Fireworks with naming and sizes individual for each artboad (like stages/pages in Fireworks).

Currently I can not export bitmap icons with the the right names and in the right sizes as in Fireworks including padding.
    And when I go to another document for a different platform (an app), I have to include the different sizes again.
    Also I have no preview like in legacy before I overwrite the old picts.
    Making graphics for mobile devices, your presets are based on the lowest resolution (@1). Some user control please...
    Bring back Fireworks...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. アートボードごとに、「スクリーン用に書き出す」際のファイル形式を設定、保存ができるようにしてほしい / Allow to set format per asset/artboard in Export for Screens

現在の「スクリーン用に書き出す」は、この操作を行うたびにファイル形式を設定する必要があり、しかも全てのアートボードを同一のファイル形式でしか書き出せない。そしてファイル形式は書き出すたびに初期化されてしまう。これは不便である。

これを、例えばアートボードオプションで、アートボードごとに書き出すファイル形式を設定し、その設定を保存できるようになれば大変便利になるはず。

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. When exporting the saving dialogue doesn't take you to the source location

When exporting, the saving dialogue doesn't take you to the source location which used to be the case. It takes you to Downloads instead which is not convenient for file organization.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. SVG code for current document visible in non modal view

When fine-tuning SVG files, the ergonomics of the workflow are far less than optimal. This is especially problematic because SVG supports only a subset of what is possible in Illustrator.

A round trip to some other app, or viewing code via the export modal feels awkward and is certainly time-consuming. Worse, it takes me away from the main Illustrator editor where my art is actually visible/editable.

Can't we have a panel which shows the SVG code 'live', without having to visit the file menu. It need not be an editable code view, but 'pretty printing' and perhaps code folding would…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add ability to use fractional values for resolution everywhere

AI is used worldwide. Despite PostScript, based on points, based on inch, being de-facto a standard for most users, many people use metric system.

English inch, as you know, equals exactly 2.54cm.
    This gives us, metric users, mantra for translating PPI into PPCM: 254ppi=100ppcm

But if we need lower value, such as 10 or 20 or 30 ppcm (working in scale with huge designs, such as ad bus wraps), we can't use it, because AI doesn't allow to enter fractional values anywhere inside! We can't use 50.8, 25.4, 76.2, Ai would round it to 51, 25, 76.
    This will give…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Preview for file name with prefix and suffix when exporting for screens

I have three requests about Prefix for filenames -
    1. Move it to a more prominent area where it's visible. Sometimes it's pre-populated because of previous exports, but since it's too small and not located anywhere around the artboards, it's very easy to miss it and end up with wrong file names.
    2. Make it bigger. Most prefixes have at least two words and the current input doesn't accommodate it. I have to manually scroll through the complete thing with the keyboard. Not very useful.
    3. Show a preview of complete file name(s) including prefix and suffix. Right now…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Stop adding -01 when there's only 1 artboard

When saving with 'Use artboard', and overwriting a previous version, Ai asks whether it should overwrite. But then - it doesn't, since it adds the useless -01 after the filename.

'Use artboard' is the way to just export the cropped art. When there is only one artboard, the -01 should not be added. And Ai should not warn that it is going to overwrite, when it isnt' (since we removed -1 manually in Finder).

Please rework this behaviours, it is confusing, not helpfull, unlogical, time consuming and annoying.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. We need separate snap options for Artboards vs Objects

Currently, 'Snap to Pixel' affects both the artboards and objects on them.

However, there are some issues with this:

• Artboards can snap to .5 pixels. It's VITAL to snap artboards to pixel as the 'Export for Screens' will add extra unwanted pixels otherwise.

• Objects can snap to the whole pixel, not the half pixel.

• While snap to pixel for artboards is vital for certain features not to break, pixel snapping for objects is not.

The solution? There should be an Artboard snapping option, separate to the one that affects all objects.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base