Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

359 results found

1. Give us true list view for exporting artboards

I would like an actual list view where artboards are in a list, show native dimensions, and any other meta that makes sense. Current multi column view truncates text and thumbnail size can't be scaled.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Illustrator is full of bugs, what is happening?

I've never experience such poor performance, it took me more than 3 days to complete a simple logo because Illustrator is extremely slow, full of bugs, pixelated vector, invisible layers wont go invisible, crashing without saving even when I have saved my preferences to save files when crash occur. Indesign has been giving some issues too but I didn't really had the time to deal with the app to figure it out more. I just wish Illustrator would work smoothly every time I work on it, is extremely painful to waste all that time trying to figure it out what…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ability to link "Data set name" upon CSV import for Variables panel

Currently when you "load variable Library" from a CSV illustrator defaults each Data Set with "Data Set 1, Data Set 2, Data Set 3, Data Set 4... ect."

Currently the only way I know to rename that data set is to manually rename each data set by selecting that data set from the drop down menu, and selecting "rename data set" from the options panel, and then either typing or copy and pasting some text in.

I use data sets for more batch like designing, it would be really nice if we could bind the data set name to a…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Some way to control the mesh density of generated 3D objects?

I'm using Illustrator to turn some 2D drawings into 3D objects which I export as OBJ/GLTF to other software. The process is really quick and simple, and produces very smooth and clean mesh objects, however... I'm having trouble with the total lack of control over the geometry density/resolution of the generated 3D model.
    I've experimented with increasing the number of anchor points and size of the drawing to see if I would get a 3D model made of more polygons and vertices, but had no success.
    It would be amazing if there was a proper way to control the generated…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Imported SVG path elements - always black fill

I am using the latest version of AI (early 2019).

I notice that SVG path elements often lose their fill color. (They are always black.)

Have not been able to pin down the exact circumstances where this fails, but I am attaching a bare bones file which exhibits the issue clearly.

This file displays perfectly in (e.g.) chrome. There's a red and a green filled path.

But when importing the SVG to AI, the 'red' path loses its fill and becomes black. The green fill is honored on input. I can't see any meaningful difference between the way the fill…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. fsType not honored when exporting as PDF

Hello,
    I've noticed the fsType value in the OS/2 table of OTF fonts is not honored by Indesign nor Illustrator.

I've set the value of fsType to 0x0102 and this should prevent subsetting and embedding.
    However, Illustrator exports to pdf, embedding . Worst, it gives no warning the embedding/subsetting isn't allowed for the current font.

for info, I had flushed any font cache to be sure the font files are the good ones and deleted them from my disk before reopening my pdf to be sure they're embedded.
    For info, these fonts are located in Library > Application support…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Pressing Ctrl+Shift+PgUp with single artboard doesn't work as it does with multiple artboards

When working with multiple artboards (I use them for exporting tiffs from larger design) using Ctrl+Shift+PgUp is quite handy to quickly navigate to first, master artboard AND set zoom to 'Fit artboard to window' with one hotkey.
    But when you have only one artboard, pressing Ctrl+Shift+PgUp (expecting it to fit artboard in window) does nothing.

I think it should work consistently.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ability to rotate an image 90 degrees when exported for screens

Having the ability to rotate an image 90 degrees when exported for screens would save a step when saving some art for the web.

Some artwork with text is saved built so the type is horizontal for ease of typing/reading. Current exports require the art to be built and then rotated 90 degrees in Photoshop.

The ability to rotate saves a step.
    It is a small nice improvement for Illustrator.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Remove overlapping lines

Exported CAD drawings often contain many overlapping lines.
    This makes such drawings difficult and cumbersome to work with, and often makes Illustrator hang.
    The possibility to select an entire group of objects and, via a tool in the Object menu, remove all lines which extend parallel to and within a certain threshold distance from another line, would be great.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Button to remove all groups and individual graphics located outside Artboard

While working in a file with many Artboards and while exporting each artboard to a separate EPS, AI carries over all graphics from the original file even if the graphics from each EPS file is resumed to it's artboard.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Warnings Popup Manager

Based on this request:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/40535569-add-don-t-show-again-option-to-error-dialog-for

Sometimes we need messages such as 'You locked art won't be moved' as warning messageboxes, and sometimes you'd prefer them don't interrupt you. While the 'Don't show again' seems like a good solution, the only way to bring it back when you switch to the task that depends on this error message, is to reset ALL warnings.
    Meanwhile, Ai can display messages as popups — like the 'All assets exported' (in green 'confirmtion' color) or 'Shape expanded' when live rectangle/ellipse is modified (in gray neutral color). I like these a lot. What if you…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Resizing multiple Artboards at once for a better Icon-design performance

When creating an icon-set of hundreds of icons at 16px, it would be super convenient to have the option to resize all the artboards for the following sizes (e.g: 24 px, 32px, 48px...). This is so cause when I have created the first file, I have also taken the time to properly name all the artboards so that when I export them, developers can find them with the naming-system that we had already created.

The problem I am facing now with this feature is that I cannot keep the names and so, I need to start over the same process…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Set default artboard name as file name

Is it possible to have a setting in preferences to set the default artboard name as the file name?

Generally I name all my artboards the "file nameCMYK" or "FilenamePantone" for exporting later and it's just a tedious extra step to have to go in and name EVERY artboard what I've already named the file instead of just tacking on a delineation.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. CGM Import

Enable Ai to import CGMs that have Active X controls. I export CGMs from an IETM, but do not need to retain the embedded links within the CGM file. Allow Ai to import Active X CGMs and disable Active X. May want to display popup window stating Active X will be lost unless save imported CGM as a new file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. disable few pixel width zoom

When I zoom in and out, I often accidentally move the mouse a tiny bit and it assumes I want to zoom in to a couple pixel area.

This has happened to me thousands of times and I have never, not once, needed to zoom into a tiny section of my work.

If the zoom plus or minus overrode the tiniest of selections that are just inadvertent miniscule movements, I think that would help people a LOT.

Also, still waiting for an export raster setting, becouse doing all this manually (render, import, place) is such a waste of time. That…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. To implement 'Show in Folder' for all saved or exported documents.

It's same feature like internet browser for newly downloaded items.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Version History - a couple feature requests

I sorta like the new version history option. It's at least kinda a step towards the history panel so many people want. There are a couple of features that I think would improve it. (If these already exist and I'm missing them can you teach me where they are?)

My first request is adding an option to save at anytime you choose. This only saves every 5 minutes. Say I make a bunch of changes in only 3 minutes. I'd then have to wait 2 minutes for it to create a save point before I could choose to revert to…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. You can improve by making it possible to move many files at once form CCLibrary to CCFiles folder. (Now 1 by 1).

Please make it possible to move all files at once from the Creative Cloud Libraries to the Creative Cloud Files folder. I have made lots of great patterns today with Adobe Capture, when you save them you'll find them in your Library but then I wanted to copy them so I also can work with the files offline (from the CCF folder I can export them to my external HDD) with PS and/or Ai. Now I have found out you must copy them one by one...Only made 45 patterns today...and over time I might create thousands....but not if I have…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Create a ISE file system for Gradient management (ASE for AI only)

create the possibility to export gradients as lib !

I understand why ASE does not work with gradients (while it could be the case if ASE would accept more than one value per swatch but whatever..)

I'd be nice to create ISE fileformat for example (ASE for AI only) to be able to have an actual gradient lib file.

bluegradients.ISE
    Redgradients.ISE
    Etc

The state of gradient management feels very much not polished from the adobe side of things, so please, work on that ...

and have a look at Astute gradient forge
    If you actually care about Fixing your BASE…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base