Automatic dimension/measuring tool please
A tool to automatically dimension signs would be an advantage to those of us working in the sign industry who create visuals for clients. It would also assist in maintaining accuracy of the artwork created and automatic checking device. This with the removal of the artboard size limitation would create a full working drawing platform for the manufacture of large signs for the retail industry.
Here we go, the first Beta version with the Dimension tool. Still very basic, but more features are to come. Please try the Beta 27.7 (available in the Beta section in your Creative Cloud Desktop application), test the tool and give the team your feedback here in comments. and refer to roadmap to see what will be added later.
Thank you guys finally make this feature available!
I had tried the beta version and happy enough with it. Of course there would be room for improvement:
- The measurement lines and the values should be automatically grouped when generated.
- The dimension values (and their lines) can follow any transformation changes to the parent object (or whatever should it be called). For example, if the object is scaled down, the measurement follows the newer value. It would save time whenever changes is made.
So far those two are my main concern. This is a good start!
Uwe Busch commented
really a great start, user defined presets fort font size & distance, also as for scale options, would be great!
Uwe Busch commented
this is what I missed, its a great start, but a scale option is essential.
Bradley Smith commented
adobe should just buy out cad tools already!
John Nolan commented
Is this functioning on large canvases?
When I dimension a 20 ft square, it dimensions as 2 ft.
Am I missing something?
Sarah Tucker commented
This tool is ****. I am SO happy Illustrator FINALLY has this. A+++. Add it to non-beta immediately! lol
Jorge Estigarribia commented
oh! I forgot something, it's very important how it works, for me is to click at one point to another point and then drag the dimension line far from the shape, so it can be easy to create it.
Jorge Estigarribia commented
well, this is just a start, it needs a lot of work, as I see, but it works, and its what we wanted, for a long long time.
the next is scaled artboards, it's that right? that would be great for big dimension designs.
The creation of a layer for the dimension is great, but the dimension should have its own option panel, where we can change the scale, style, units and other options of the dimension too.
But if can give what we can see in the beta, that's a huge time saver, I do exactly what you created, but with graphic styles, and I have to write every one of the dimensions.
1. Need the ablity to set colors as spot colors. system picker colors are useless in files for print production.
2. would like to see a modifier key to auto measure lenght and width without selected objects needing to be in a group to recognize as an object.
3. would like to be able to change global settings and it changes all existing measure styles. example... if if modify the line width in the settings, all places that have measurements are changed without having to go to each object and modify each object.
4. want the ability to have text follow line or always show horizontal. (for readability) .. basically 2 styles of the way text reads.
5. would like a tool to measure distance between two objects selected.. (measure gap)
6. ablity to set arrow style, end cap style even line style.
7. want option to have text on the line and it puts a box under the text to cut the line out from under it.
8. Ablitity to set custom configured line styles. so we can pick the type of dimension line we want.. we might need a black line for one object, a green for another and a red for a third.. this would save so much time.
This is a start. So far it looks great.
Flavio Cominotti commented
Hi, I think it would be useful to make the generated dimension as a shape and then expand it as needed
Thanks ADOBE!! finally we have dimensions built into Ilustrator. I tried it out in BETA and it works well.
The only thing we need now is for the dimensions to update when you resize the shapes.
About your answer to me, Egor
WOW! Thanks for your example. Indeed, if you know this way to do it, it is not necessary to use an additional tool.
Poor first attempt, not very adaptive and needs eventually be a click and drag type arrangement. We need the ability to move these dimensions away from the object, choose arrow heads and stroke weight etc. I can't even get it to measure in mm only pts
Have you guys never seen a copy of ...dare I say it...CorelDraw?
Richard, to me personally this center lines thing feels like it’s beyond the arsenal of the tool... If I needed something like this, I’d use graphics styles and just one line. Please check the file attached.
With dimension commands, a function to provide center lines would be very useful. Here's a simple possible approach to creating a command based on an existing function in the software. We could use the dashed line command for this. Only the length of the center cross and the space (equal) on both sides and the overshoot of the circle would need to be configured. I tested this using calculations in Excel and it seems to work well (see the attached drawing, note the result with a circle that's too small).
Rene Andritsch commented
It is great to see this feature coming to Illustrator. As Richard already pointed out it would be helpful, to be able to place the dimensions manually once I clicked either a path or clicked two points.
1) define what gets measured
2) position the measurement
3) if the user likes it placed according to the preferences a double-click could do
I think it's reasonable to use the "Arrows" function in "Strokes" to choose your arrowhead. However, it should be possible to reuse the document while retaining the arrowhead, even if you're using another computer without the library, after adding your arrowhead to the library. It's a bit like what is possible to do with styles.
I'm looking forward to testing the arrowhead selection in the tool.
Richard, thanks, these are exactly what I expected to see.
And the text below the line is a known bug, will be fixed (and allowed to be customized, I hope)
Great news. Very happy to see this is finally being implemented.
Being able to set the scale (and accuracy) is critical for my workflow though, so I won't make the switch from my current script just yet. But otherwise it seems to work great.
So where's the Beta section of the CCD application? Can't find it via search......any help please?
Update page states I'm up to date?????