Automatic dimension/measuring tool please
A tool to automatically dimension signs would be an advantage to those of us working in the sign industry who create visuals for clients. It would also assist in maintaining accuracy of the artwork created and automatic checking device. This with the removal of the artboard size limitation would create a full working drawing platform for the manufacture of large signs for the retail industry.
The Dimension Tool is now live with 126.96.36.199 version of Illustrator.
This is just a beginning of it and the team is going to improve it further.
The intention is not to replace the existing specialized plugins completely, but to give a robust and integrated way for the majority of users to create dimensions.
Please make new requests and upvote existing ones, report bugs if you find them — all these are monitored and really help to shape the experience. Happy dimensioning!
Kuroshita “kurogedelic” Leo commented
I've been using HotDoor for many years, and it's finally time to say goodbye to it.
・Showing/hiding the unit of dimension
・Move numbers by dragging
・Leader line (especially diameter measurement)
Paul Roper commented
Am I right in assuming there's no way to set a custom scale? In an ideal world, I'd be able to bring in some artwork/import an image, add a dimension to a known length (e.g. I have a TIFF of a house I've imported, and I know a particular wall is 3200mm long) and I then tell Illustrator that this length is indeed 3200mm, and Illustrator works out the scale and remembers it for all subsequent dimensions.
@breck sounds like you need a more advanced tool like CAD TOOLS by HotDoor
hot door stopped responding and was to pricey so i went back to adobe asking just for a better measurement tool. this is now far better but still feel that CAD TOOLS is best for building out prints and detailed diagrams.
Breck Harris commented
Great tool and will help a ton! However, some changes and improvements needed to be fit for any production work:
1) Precision: Whole numbers should still have the full precision for any actual production environment. 23 mm implies accurate to a full millimeter. 23.0 mm implies an accuracy to a tenth of a millimeter. So when I select 0.0 as my accuracy, it needs to be reflected across every dimension.
2) On that note, precision for Angles and Lengths should be separate options.
3) Leaders: An option for a leader would be great for dimensions that are too narrow to fit the full dimension text inside.
4) Adjusting dimension location: The length dimensions can be moved closer and away by having the dimension tool selected and dragging the existing dimensions. However radii dimensions can’t be moved once placed the same way and I can’t figure out if there is a way to do it.
5) Currently the dimensions are all placed in a top level layer. This is okay, but I prefer to have my artboard contents contained in different layers. So for multiple drawings I’d want a dimension layer in each one.
6) Tolerance: Having a way to add the tolerance to a dimension in necessary in production. i.e ± 2
7) In-line measurements: Having the dimension in a gap in line with the dimension line rather than resting on top makes it much easier to fit dimensions in tight spaces and make them easier to read.
8) Presets: It would be great to be able to have presets. Some artboards are small and others are very large. Having to set all the settings each time for legible dimensions is very tedious.
9) Live updates: Not necessary since they are so easy to create but if I extend a shape or resize a dimension with a shape, having the dimension text update too would be amazing.
10) Scale: Standard scales would be nice. 1:2, 1:3, etc. Maybe too much to ask for a built in tool but would definitely get some use.
Thanks again and I look forward to using this tool extensively as it matures.
Uwe Busch commented
Really good work, bust can you add 1:25 please?
Adham Elrayyes commented
The dimension tool is a great time saver and have been using it for the last few weeks with no issues, until today. Maybe I haven't noticed it before because I never used this feature.
When taking the diameter measurement, it seems to offset and enlarge the diameter for some reason and couldn't figure out why, even with numerous attempts.
I am becoming more convinced that this might be a bug.
See the attached image that showcases the issue I am facing.
Konrad Prajsnar commented
It would be nice to have automatic option too just to speeds up work. I mean just a button that puts overall dimensions of the object, without clicking points at the ends.
First of all, congratulations on the Dimension tool. A small breakthrough.
I think I'm in the right place to make a small request that would help a lot, especially to the packaging design community.
One of the usual tasks is to verify the font size and in the Dimension tool currently it only allows you to put the font of the dimension vertically with the problems that this entails when you are working in small spaces. It would help a lot if you could customize it by adding horizontal typography to maximize space. I attach a screenshot to exemplify what was mentioned.
As an additional proposal, if more typography information could be added for client verification it would help a lot. An option could be a sister tool "Dimension Font" that you could limit the height of the font, the font itself, kerning etc. similar to the mother tool Dimension.
Hoping it can be implemented in future versions, thank you very much. All the best.
Ok thanks Egor
Allesandro, yes, the block that allows us to set preferred sides for Opt/Alt has vanished for the Dimension Tool Options dialog. I don’t know yet why.
You can use other units for font size, line weights, and actual measurements, if you pick them in Preferences, but not for offsets and extensions — this is a known problem that is going to be addressed further. Here is a bug report for you to upvote: http://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447/suggestions/47558003
The default distance of the extension line is another known thing. I made it into a request as well: http://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/47558036
As for the registration Swatch — do you mind making it into a separate request?
Dimensions are back!
Excellent start. I don't know if I remember correctly but the possibility of choosing where to insert the dimensions has disappeared (top, bottom, right and left). Furthermore, it would be very convenient to set the settings in millimeters instead of points (or at least have the possibility of choosing which unit to use) and what is fundamental for me is to set the distance from the object when using the one-click function via the option key (on Mac ). Last thing is the possibility of inserting the "Registration" color to the measurements.
Jörg, the team plans to add presets in later releases. So far the re is a simple enough workaround we can use for that, but I admit presets are must have.
Bravo Adobe. Finally!
it would be great if you could save and recall presets
Scott Ritchings commented
As a user with only basic measurement needs, this tool makes way more sense than buying CADTools. (Thanks, Adobe!) Not sure if this is the place for it, or if it should have its own Idea, but after putting the Dimension Tool through its paces, a few issues I'd love to see addressed:
1. For the Dimension Tool to ignore any earlier dimension lines. Sometimes I need to measure off of a line that's under another dimension line.
2. The ability to put the dimension aligned within the line. Not above, not below. ie. ------ 00.00 -------
3. A labelling tool with custom text, ABC, or 123 options.
4. Smaller fractions! Some of us work really small, and 1/64" is important without rounding.
5. For the tool to honour the precision. If I indicate I want precision as '0.00', I don't want it simplified with no decimal if it's a whole number. The 'x.00' is reassuring to clients to let them know the tool isn't rounding.
Bobby, not at the moment. CADtools offer this, AFAIK.
If it ever happens, I think it would require some votes.
So (same as with the other reply!) — can you request it in a new entry now and share a link here?
Bobby Henderson commented
Is there a way the dimension numerals can be vertically center aligned and knock thru the line? Currently the numerals can only be positioned above or below the line (or left/right of it for vertical dimensions).
There was a popup? v 8 https://www.hotdoor.com/downloads/HD/CADT/Windows/CADtools8.zip
Jody Roberts commented
Thank you, the link goes to one page but quickly changes to there main page. Then there is no mention of older versions.
I have also made a set that is half ***, when I resize the tic mark I then have to change the text manually. It takes several steps sometimes. Hints the reason I am trying to find a real version that is compatible with AI cs5. Again I do not mind purchasing the set, I just need to find them on HotDoors site.
Thank you very much!!
@judy you can download them here and if you need to get the lic they sell you it at the current price https://www.hotdoor.com/Download?support i have used them for hears. its just i want only the dimension tool and not the rest. currently i made a 9slize with everything i need in it and than just unlink and edit the text. but the problem with this is if i change the object i need to take all the steps again. if illustrator had the tool it would even be better if it auto updated but at lease have it so i can redraw the measurement faster.