Illustrator Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?

How can we improve Illustrator? Vote for or share a new idea.

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rasterize effect of bitmap is too simple

Please add some other algorithm in rasterize effect of bitmap.
    in Photoshop we have pattern dither, Diffusion dither, halftone screen, custom pattern Or in Corel Photo Paint we have line art, Ordered , Jarvis, Stuki , floyd-steinberg, halfton, cardinality distribution But in illustrater we have only one algorithm.
    also please able us to choose color of rastered pixels. it is very important because some times graphists add this effect to gradient or mesh gradient but they like another color instead of black color and transparent instead of white

211 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Vector Halftones Effect (within AI and without third-party plugins)

I would like AI to integrate a feature that can convert raster images and/or vector elements (gradients, sketches, shapes, anything..) into a perfectly shaped round dots Halftones Effect.

As a matter of fact, it is already possibile to get something similar by applying the raster halftones Effect to the element and then Live Tracing it. But the result is something uneven made of irregular circles or shape. So it is not a precise function to take into consideration.

The effect should be achieved without any third-party plugins or anything which is not already included in the full AI software release…

91 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. where is the inner shadow effect?

Photoshop has it, InDesign has it, even Sketch has it. It's such a fundamental feature. Of course we can use some techniques to simulate the effect, but why Illustrator lacks the most basic function?

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Preview Checkbox defaults to On rather than Off

I'm not sure if there is a reason for this, but for the 12 years I've been using Illustrator, the effects checkbox always defaults to "Off" and every time I make an edit to an effect, I have to switch it to "On". It never remembers my setting and there is no way to make it default to On. Either would be acceptable.

Many thanks for everything.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. long shadow effect

the addition of the "long shadow" effect, which is popular in recent times, will greatly benefit the user.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Projected drop shadows as an option.

Please consider adding a projected drop shadow as an option to the drop shadow effect. See attachment for a visual.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Effects do not rotate (drop shadow) or scale (e.g: gaussian blur)

If you create a logo and use the drop shadow effect, the values will scale but not rotate.IN packaging design we often rotate the logo for every panel on a carton. After you rotate the logo you must manually change the values to for example get the most popular bottom right drop shadow on all logos.

Gaussian blur can be sued to make a your own drop shadow effect, but that has another problem in that the blur amount will not adjust.

If you search your home or local supermarket, you will eventual find items that went incorrectly to press,…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to copy individual effects from the appearance panel to other objects.

currently if you want to copy effects from one object to another your only option is to copy all of its appearance properties. You should be able to drag or copy just one aspect of somethings appearance without effecting the other properties. say i have a transform effect on an object in my appearance panel. currently if i want to apply that to another object i also have to copy the stroke, fill and any other properties that object has. there is no option to copy just that individual transform effect to other objects. this is an unnecessary limitation that…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Photoshop Color adjustment

It would be great to have the same color adjustments than Photoshop (curve, hue&saturation, level etc...)

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add motion blur effect

We have radial, gaussian, but no motion blur. Please, add one.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Warp Effect Not Working

I've noticed that ever since upgrading to Illustrator CC 2018 (22.0.1) that the Warp Effect doesn't seem to work properly. The Arc and Arch effects will work, but applying any of the Flag, Wave, Fish or Rise effects won't change the object at all.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi All,

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.

Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Till now we have received only one case where the WARP Effect is not working & that is of “Straight Line”.

Please note that Warp Effect for Straight Lines is not supported. If needed this can be tracked as feature request.

Please let us know if there is any another scenario where this effect is not working.

With Best Regards,
    Illustrator Team

12. Square wave live effect.

Gears. Crenelations on castles. Zippers. These are a few things whose border can be described by a square wave. Or by a rectangular wave.

But you can't do this easily in Illustrator. Oh, you can add a dotted line to a shape - but that's an awkward workaround. How about a new live effect?

effect->distort & transform->crenelation would bring up a new live effect where you can apply square waves to whatever object you're affecting.

Suggested parameters:

* size - similar to the size parameter in roughen/zigzag, this would control how far the generated path deviates from the original path …

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Adding 'Gradient Feather' function similar to InDesign would be great.

It makes masking in Ai a lot more convenient.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Attach Symbol Effect

Adding a new Effect to Attach a Symbol would heavily simplify the creation of Appearances (Graphic Styles) like the one in my Screenshot.

Of course a Reference Point and Liquid constraints like in InDesign would be amazing.

And that will open all new horizons of possibilities!

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Effects  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enhancing the Convert to Shape Effects

The Rectangle, Eplise and Polygon tools had been updated with dynamic properties in CC 2014.

That will be huge to have these properties added to the "Convert to Shape" Effect and to add the Polygon and Star tools to the "Convert to Shape" list.

It will allow more Advanced Appearances and Graphic Styles.

–––

+Adding the Reference Point:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/32052073-add-reference-point-to-convert-to-shape-effect

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make Free Distort work with images

Free distort doesn't support many object types.
    Please make it work with images, both linked or embedded.
    I have to use envelope distortion (with embedded only, breaking link with image) each time I need to distort an image within AI.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add Shear and Taper to Transform Effect (or add as Warp effect)

Shearing and tapering are ones of few operations that can't be automated procedurally.
    Using 'Free distort' is very inconvenient, because it works in small dialogue window that doesn't show actual artwork (it doesn't even have Preview tick! — I'll add another feature request about it). Although 'Stylism' plugin from AstuteGraphics solves problem with control, revision is definitely required.
    Shear tool and Free distort tool are fine, but they are live tools, and won't help to repeat same the effect later if needed.
    Please, add shearing and tapering either as part of Transform effect or new Warp (both as effect and…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add Reference Point to "Convert to Shape" effect

When using the convert to shape effect, it would be useful to be able to specify a reference point to the dialog, about which the effect can transform. For example, the current implementation distributes the effect from the centre across the height/width axes. A reference point would allow you to add extra dimension to the left/right/top/bottom (as required) and would be extremely useful in UI construction, among other things.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Grayscale as an Effect

I would like to be able to apply a non-destructive "Convert to Grayscale" Effect to Objects, Groups or Layers.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Gradient Feather

I would love it if illustrator had a gradient feather tool that worked the same way as the one in illustrator.

At the moment you have to manually set up a gradient with 2 of the same colour with one set to 0% opacity and one at 100% opacity, unless I'm missing something! The one in indesign can be applied to groups as well which is super useful.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base