Bleed settings are not saving with document
Since I updated Illustrator, all of my print documents are not saving the bleed settings. Here is how to replicate the problem:
1) I open an existing print document (.ai format) in Illustrator
2) Go to File --> Document Setup. I have always had the bleed set to 0.125" (or 3.175 mm) for all borders (top, bottom, left, right), but now they all show zero (0).
3) I change the bleed to 0.125" on all edges again, then click OK.
4) I save the document, close the document, then re-open the document
5) I go to File --> Document Setup, and all the bleed settings are showing zero (0) again.
This is very frustrating because I want to export to printable PDF files but the bleed doesn't show unless I do these steps every single time. I have hundreds of files I work with. This was never a problem until the version prior to this one and this version.
version 24.0.1 (64-bit)
having the same problem - i change bleed every time save document and it opens up with all bleed with different measures! So frustrating
didn't happen before 2020
Bryan Tamietti commented
I figured out why this is happening. If I save the document (Save As) and select :
Version: Illustrator CC (Legacy) - This is what loses the bleed settings
Version: Illustrator 2020 - This works as it is supposed to and saves the bleed settings with the document.
This is a bug however, because what if I want to save the document in a legacy version so others without the latest version installed can open my files? It should save the bleed settings, even if it is the legacy CC version.
UPDATE: When I updated my version of Illustrator this happened to some of my files where the bleed would disappear after closing and reopening the file. I had to do a Save As and write over the original file to fix it.
having the same problem in AI 2020 on a Mac 10.13.6