Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

785 results found

1. Artboards with the same number / missing number

In the artboards menu, two have the same number, and so one cannot access or export one of those two artboards (see the attached photo, with two artboards labeled "9")

176 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

151 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The team again asks for help with this issue, since there are not specific steps they can try to reproduce it — the nature of the bug is random.

If you are a Windows user, the next time you spot a missing or a duplicated number in Artboards panel, please follow these instructions below.

1. Open Task Manager

2. In Details tab, locate 'Illustrator.exe'

3. Right click it and choose 'Create dump file'

4. Wait until the dumping process is complete and click 'Open file location' button

5. Find 'Illustrator.dmp' (sorting files by date helps) and compress it with any archiving utility

6. Upload the archive to a file hosting service of your choice and sent the link for download to sharewithai@adobe.com. Please use the subject 'Artboards numbering bug dump'

This will help provide necessary clues to locate the source of the problem. If you are a Mac user —…

2. 107 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

43 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.1 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

3. 97 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

84 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Discard white overprint is disabled when background save is enabled

• version 24.x
    • Windows and macOS
    • background save enabled

At this time, the operation related to discarding the white overprint is not performed and the settings is invalidated.
    The behavior itself is the same as another bug, but it is not completely fixed 24.1.x.
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39414226-bug-of-saving-in-the-background-of-illustrator-202

63 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Copy and paste doesn't always work

Hi,

I've been experiencing problems with Illustrator. When I copy an object with the ctrl + c button and try to paste them it randomly doesn't work.

The problem is that I can't replicate it on command. At first I thought it had something to do with the laptop that I used, but it also happens on a freshly installed desktop.

My version of Illustrator is 22.0.1

I also checked the copy paste functions under the edit tab, and when I copied something it didn't show the ability to paste it. It could also only have something to do with…

59 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Can't do changes to the containing folder - gude

A text file named "gude<current date>" is created in the destination folder. Can't do changes to the containing folder.

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 27.3.1 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Ankit Goyal

Illustrator Team

7. Right click pop-up context menu box stuck in the bottom left corner of the screen

This issue started when I upgraded to Mac OS Monterey. Unfortunately, I cannot downgrade. I am using a 2018 MacBook Pro 15.6 laptop. I use a 27" 4k external monitor, but the issue occurs with the monitor and the laptop screen. The right-click menu box issue does not happen with any of the other Adobe programs. I have deleted prefs, uninstalled and installed illustrator, zapped the PRAM, and installed an older version of illustrator with no change. I understand Monterey is a beta now but is there a fix or setting to fix this problem? I appreciate your help in…

45 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Moving objects - error message "can't move the object"

I'm working with vectors and type. Since the update to CC2018, at random moments and in multiple files, I'll select a vector object and select some text, then try to move them, and I'll receive the error message "Can't move the objects. The requested transformation would make some objects too large". The problem is going to force me to revert back to the 2017 version of Illustrator - please make sure this is fixed ASAP. See attached screen grab.

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

86 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have tried to fix the issue in the current release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.

Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in the update.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

PS: We are only referring to the issue that got introduced in CC 2018. As I can see there were few workflows that were existing even in older releases. Please log a separate request for it so that we all can track it better

9. 37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.4.1 which is available worldwide now.

10. 34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Action using the transform panel will not keep settings after restart of Illustrator

I created action that use the TRANSFORM panel, when closing and restarting iIllustrator the action gives the error THE OBJECT "ALIGNEMENT" IS NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE. Action does work under Illy CC 2018 (version 22.1).

Currently using version 23.0.1
    OSX High Sierra.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.2
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,

12. After updating Illustrator 2023 to v27.9.2, the name gets changed to Illustrator 2024

After updating, the name should remain the original, Illustrator 2023.

using: macOS 12.7.4
    language: Japanese

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Illustrator 24.1 metric precision broken

So there was a new release Illustrator 24.1 the other day which I installed. Unfortunately, it looks like the engineers messed up and semi-broke the conversion routines from inches or whatever measurement is used internally to the metric units displayed to me as the user.

What used to be displayed as nice whole numbers or up to a maximum of three decimals, is now never an even number and always displayed with four decimals. Just to take an example, a dimension clearly intended to be precisely 10 mm is now displayed as say 9.9998 mm or 10.0003 mm.

This is…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.2.0 which is available worldwide now.

14. Paste in Place does not work properly

So I'm having problems with the Paste in Place command, sometimes it works great when I Copy or Cut something and paste it on other artboards but most of the times it is not working properly, either what I copied o cut get outside the drawing area or it goes to a random place, and at first I thought I wasn't selecting the artboard but even with the artboard selected it falls anywhere. I'm running Illustrator CC 2019, on windows 10.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

29 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thank you for reporting this issue. Illustrator Team really appreciate this.

Can you help the Illustrator team to isolate this issue further?
    If yes, then please let me know the following:
    1) Is this Issue still happening on your machine in the latest version 25.2.1 ?
    2) If yes, kindly provide some video, Test file(Via File→Package), OS version of your machine & some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us at ShareWithAI@adobe.com in a Zip file.

Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.

Thanks and Regards
    Ankit Goyal

15. eyedropper tool

I have never had to ungroup objects to get the eye dropper tool to apply selected attributes to an object. This no longer works without ungrouping objects.

I have never had to ungroup objects to change the color of an object selecting a color from swatches. This no longer works without ungrouping objects.

I have posted a thread with all the screenshots you could ever need and the this appears to be a glitch that needs fixing...really, really bad. The solution to the issue from my thread was to post the problem here.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/428177

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Mouse right-click Select next Object Below does not work

When I right-click with the mouse on an object and try to select next object below it does not work/does nothing.

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.3.0 which is available worldwide now.

17. Square brackets hotkeys don’t work when input language is non-English

If you have default [ and ] keys set for Increase/Decrease Diameter, you have to have English input language set to make these work (at least on Windows).

In Russian these keys on a keyboard occupied with 'х' (Russian 'ha') and 'ъ' (Russian hard sign). Pressing them does not change the diameter.

But these do work in Photoshop, and basically elsewhere... except for Illustrator.

Sam happens for other input languages like Turkish, and for other commands, like Arrange (Bring / Sent Froward / Back).

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Image trace does not allow to use your own colour palette

Under advanced image trace, now when you use the dropdown palette and select 'Document library' and then select your own limited colour theme in the dropdown below, it makes no difference at all (even though it takes time re-rendering the image).

This used to work really effectively, but I've had these issues for some time.

I'm on the latest version of Illustartor 2020 (ver 24.2.3)

I've attached a screengrab so you can see the colours are not being used!

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Recolor artwork window stops working shortly after opening (Illustrator CC2018)

Im using Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 on macOS High Sierra (10.13.2).
    I'm trying to recolor my artwork but the window accessed via Edit colors > recolor Artwork freezes shortly after using it.

Everything remains responsive except that when I click any part of the window there is no response from Illustrator. I can still move the window around but cannot exit it. The OS doesn't recognize it as a crash (no "not responding" message).

I've been working on the same document in Illustrator CC 2017, recoloring worked fine in then.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks for the help…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi All,
    We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.1.
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Raghuveer Singh
    Illustrator Team

20. Select > Same > (Fill, Stroke, etc.) no longer working in charts

Adobe CC2018
    When using the direct selection tool to select a single element of a chart or graph, Illustrator no longer responds to the Select > Same > ... commands. This is a feature we rely upon for everyday capabilities when styling charts. When I try the command, it does not select anything within the chart. If I ungroup the chart, or use the Select > Same > (options) with other Illustrator shapes, it works as normal. The problem surfaced immediately after I upgraded from CC2017 to CC2018.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 22.1.

Warm Regards,

← Previous 1 3 4 5 39 40
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base