Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

242 results found

1. Pathfinder & Shape Builder: glitch when joining curvy shapes

I'm trying to join two round shapes and I'm always getting unexpected shape glitches in the result path. I tried making this new shape using pathfinder and shape builder, but the results are the same.

Sending before/after screenshots attached in outline view.

Version 28.1 (2024)

Please help!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is regulated by the size of the art processes and the precision value (measured in absolute values) one can edit in Pathfinder Options.

Although vector paths stay continuous no matter how deep you zoom in, they are still stored on a canvas with rather finite coordinates, and all calculations are still very finite.

2. Envelope Distort, Layers, and Illustrator Performance Bug

I've recently come across a bug with the envelope distortion tool. The bug happens when I use the Make with Warp effect on text. When this is applied, all the layers and sub-layers get frozen with no ability to see the thumbnail preview or to open or close any of the layers. This also affects the ability to hide or preview any layer, lock or unlock, and/or select anything in the layers.
    This also causes Illustrator to run very high ram while causing unresponsiveness and difficulty in processing and sometimes the inability to save files.

So far, the work-a-rounds that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Type on path not converting to outline

Operating System: OS X Ventura 13.4.1 (c) (22F770820d)
    Version of Illustrator: 27.7

I have an artwork which includes some type on a path (circle). When I go to send the file to a printer (PDF), I always outline the text as we've had issues in the past. For this artwork I've selected all the content and selected 'Convert to Outline', which has worked fine on all the type except the type on a path elements which just disappeared. I restarted Illustrator, but this didn't solve the problem.

The Type on a Path was part of a group, so I then…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Problems with exporting PSD

I am having an hard time exporting my file as photoshop file

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Pattern Brush 'Hue Shift' does not result in correct appearance of stroke color

This issue is not new and occurs for a few years at least.
    I i apply at a pattern brush > Colorization > Method: Hue Shift, the key color does not represent the same color of the choosen stroke color when the brush is applied to a Stroke. The color is always way off. I am well experienced in Illustrator (and certifeid by Adobe) but i can not find any thing i did wrong. That's why i am almost sure this issue is a bug. But please, tell me i am doing something wrong. That way i can help my…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The solution provided in the comments below.

However, when the key color is automatically gets set as the white (or any grayscale tint) as the most prominent color, the hue shift gets calculated wrong.

If you think Illustrator should pick another color in cases like this — please continue voting.

6. Illustrator changing color values every time I reopen program v 26.0.2

I'm on a brand new MacBook Pro and I'm using illustrator from the cloud version 26.0.2 on Mac Monterey v 12.1. Every time I close out a file and reopen it the hex colors are changed. I have never touched the setting on my colors. I've attached an example below. You can see that when I was previously working in the file I listed the hex code, but now when I open it it is different. Please help. This is making my branding impossible and I'm turning in projects incorrectly as a result.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Type on path tool, cannot flip to inside the path

Illustrator Beta 25.3 265@236190

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019) macOS Big Sur v. 11.2.3, 32mg memory, 2.3GHz 8-core Intel Core i9, Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Created a circle, attempting to use type on path tool, works find to place type outside circle, cannot drag the type inside the circle to be at the bottom. Shows there when I click and drag but when I release it places the text on the outside of the circle in a different location.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Paths not dividing / uniting correctly (jittery paths)

It seems that with more complex paths, using the unite and divide Pathfinder tools create jittery shapes (when you zoom in very very close, you can see that the merging / division isn't perfect and that shapes have been disfigured). Same with paths / shapes where smooth corner have been used: use of Pathfinder tool is going to disfigure them. (posted to the support on Twitter)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If this does happen for you, please open your Pathfinder panel’s options and change the Precision value it has. Lowering the values improves results, especially on very long curved segments, but also increases the overall time a complex pathfinder operation takes.

Please comment below if this advice helps — the team can use this feedback to reconsider the default value.

9. Type on a path tool resizing causes crash

I have the latest version of Illustrator CC 2020 v. 24.0.3. Unfortunately, everytime I try to resize a type on path, Illustrator crashes. I have restarted the app and system and that didn't help.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Artboard units do not follow what is set in preferences (v 24.0.3)

Set units to be in inches, but Paragraphs palette shows fields in points.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. illustrator version 24 vector file is too large

1. Windows 7 Pro - Adobe Illustrator 24.0.2 (2019)

2. Opening a 2.7 MB Adobe Illustrator 23 (2018) all vector file and saving it.

3. Expect file size to remain similar or the same

4. File size of the new version 24.0.2 results in 260 MB

The file is using Gaussian blur. I suspect it is this. The file attached is the 2.7 MB version 23 file.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This happens most probably because of the enabled PDF-compatibility option on save, which makes Ai write a PDF copy into the file along with the native Ai format. It helps to other apps to place and use the artwork inside, but it also makes the live raster effects to get rasterized, and it leads to size bloating.

Untick the 'Create PDF Compatible File' option and the file size will stay at 1-3 MB.

12. Set round corner numerically for multiple corners

When multiple Anchor Points are selected, it would be nice to set the rounding numerically, in stead of by dragging the mouse.

But unfortunately double clicking a Corner Widget let us set the value for only the clicked corner, and not for all selected corners.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Expanding compound path causes a shift in the object shape

If I call Expand on a compound path, there is a shift in the width and height of the object. This seems to only be a problem when the stroke is in the center. If the stroke is inside or outside, there isn't a problem.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Illustrator can display width and height values respecting the width of strokes and effects, if you enable Use Preview Bounds option in Preferences > General. It also makes bounding box larger to fit them visually, hence the change in dimensions.
    When it’s off, only geometric shape is taken into account, ignoring stroke width or effects.
    When you expand the shape, the stroke is not a stroke anymore, but a filled path, that makes the overall group geometrically larger.

14. Copy text from illustrator and paste into word pastes as image and not editable text

Illustrator CC 22.1.
    Mack book pro MacOS high Sierra Version10.13.6.
    Microsoft Word Version16.23 (190309)

Copy text from illustrator (Command C) and paste it into Word (Command V) using shortcuts on keyboard the text does not come in to word as editable text but as a picture that I cannot edit.

I copy text from illustrator and past it into Word for editing and then past it back into Illustrator when I am done with the word editing. I do this for technical drawings, sketchbooks and any other 2D design and presentation work.
    Since 2011 until 2018 I was able to…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you right click in word you should get a paste as text option.
    Can you please contact Microsoft support. Like most applications we do promise text in clipboard along with other formats like svg, metafile etc…
    It is for word to pick any of these clipboard formats and consume.

15. Cannot close main application window with keyboard shortcut

When there are no documents open, it's apparently not possible to close the application window from the keyboard (e.g. with the traditional shortcut Cmd+W). The Close option is disabled in the File menu.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Workspace toolbars disappearing

Ai CC 2019 - all of a sudden all the toolbars have disappeared and won't stay reinstated. Workspace will not reset nor change modes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. artboard

I am having issues with the alignment of the image on the artboard. It seems the rectangle I used to cover the artboard isn't lining up. I am not sure if this is a problem or I simply don't know how to fix it

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The artwork has a small black dot on the right side, far away from the artboard. Watch closely at the right side of your 11×17.jpg image to notice it.
    And export options were probably without ‘Use artboards’ tick.

P.S. Please always provide the file you have problems with!

18. Possible Bug - Crop Image Auto Resizing Crop Box in New CC Illustrator 2019

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or just a poorly executed new feature, but in the new Illustrator CC 2019 when you have a raster image in the file and you go to "Crop Image" the crop marquee automatically changes to a random size and shape instead of remaining at the edges of the image. I'm not sure if there is some hidden feature where it is trying to automatically detect where you might crop the image to by detecting the image edges, but this is super annoying when you are trying to do something like just adjusting…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You are referring to the content aware crop feature: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/whats-new.html#ContentAwareCrop

To turn this feature off please visit the Preference dialog (CMD+K) and turn off “Enable Content Aware defaults”

If I may suggest a workflow for you.
    1. Use linked images, they not only are fast but also save disk space.
    2. If you already have embedded images in your file, please use the unembed feature of Illustrator to export and link files automatically for you.
    3. All linked images have this feature of Edit Original where you can edit images in a software of your choice like Photoshop.
    4. If you have to share files to other users please make use of File menu>Package feature to collect everything including linked images and fonts in one directory.

19. Oversize UI Elements in Ai 2019

I noticed that with the 2019 version of Illustrator (23.0), the entire UI of the software seems to be "supersized." It is as if every pixel is now rendered oversized. Not just in the drawing area, but all the tools, controls, panels, everything.

I've attached a "full screen" screen shot of the 2019 (v. 23.0) welcome screen, and the (reinstalled) 2018 (v. 22.1) welcome screen. Both are maximized on the same physical screen, the display on my MacBook Pro. See how the buttons and other elements are larger in the 2019 version? Like it is somehow zoomed in.

I do…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Freeform Gradient doesn't transform correctly High Sierra (macOS 10.13)

Freeform Gradient points should transform relative to path. Gradient does not transform as expected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base