Gradient stroke cannot be cut and pasted.
- Draw a path with a gradient stroke and no fill.
- Select and cut or copy the path.
- Paste. Normally, In Front, Behind, or In Place.
- The expected result is, of course, a new copy of this gradient-stroked path.
- Actual results range from a copy of the path with the stroke expanded, an image that was cut and paste sometime last week, or an error popup that says "This operation cannot complete because of an unknown error [PDF!]"
Seen on OSX 10.14.6 with AI 24.1 and AI 24.1.2.
As per the comment from the OP, the LaunchBar clipboard manager seems to not be compatible the Illustrator format. The same happens with other clipboards managers, including the default one for Windows. However, there are reports it used to work with previous versions of Illustrator. If you have more details on this, or the same problem, — please comment.
The same as
"Illustrator 27 Objects are rasterized when pasted from the buffer history"
UPDATE: I can confirm in my case that the contributing factor was third party app Launchbar—specifically LaunchBar's "clipboard history" functionality. When I disable clipboard history in LaunchBar's preferences (or, even better, add Adobe Illustrator to the "Ignore apps" list) this problem goes away. Thanks Egor for asking the perfect question!
Seeing this bug in AI 27.1.1 MacOS 13.1.