Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

44 results found

1. Shift hold (Constrain angle) within gradient use not working

When I shift hold a gradient now it doesn't snap (constrain angle) in Illustrator. I've checked my general settings and constrain angle is set to 0°... have I missed something? Version 23.0

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

62 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.2
    Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
    Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
    Adobe. Make It an Experience.

2. Adjustment of a gradient in Live Paint Bucket (K)

In Illustrator CC2019 the Adjustment of a gradient in Live Painting Bucket (K) does not work.
    When in Live Painting Bucket (K) i apply the gradient, then i can not adjust it manually.

37 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Gradient Annotator tool bug on Groups

Gradient Annotator tool is not visible for some objects but it is for others. See screen shot: visible on the rectangle, but when I edit the gradient of the compound shape, the annotator is not visible.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

32 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 24.3.0 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

4. Free Form gradient Line points gets deleted on changing opacity to 0 via Point Mode

Making a freeform gradient point to 0% opacity works until the object is moved. The point will be removed on moving the object. This does not affect opacity greated than 0%.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 23.0.6 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

5. Blend tool with Freeform Gradients does not working properly

Blend tool not working with shapes that contain gradients. (preview box is greyed out as well)
    It won't work from the start with shapes that already contain gradients and only produces black shapes and an error message when the color is applied after making the blend.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Free Distort effect doesn’t work properly with Freeform gradients

When Free Distort effect is applied to a path with a freeform gradient fill (we all now know it’s not a real fill), the stops just vanish if they happen to 'fall out' beyond the resulting path — the same way they get dropped when you edit a path with a Direct Selection tool (which can also be treated as a bug, because you are just ditching user data — these color stops should be able to be placed outside of the path!)

Images 6 and 7 show what happens if you try to make the shape larger than the…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. An object with a freeform gradient fill makes the coloring control in the tool panel switched to None

In the tool panel we have three indicator buttons, which show the current type of fill/stroke for the selection — Fill, Gradient, None.
    Illustrator switches it to None, when an object with a freeform gradient fill is selected.

I can understand why it probably happens. Since freeform gradients are not technically gradients, and using this mode converts an object into a dynamic container for generating a triangular mesh, it makes sense for Illustrator to not display the proper indicator here — the container has no fill... but it makes no sense for a user. It is you who decided it’s…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Specific gradients across/along stroke with Overprint Stroke option are broken

In the attached file you can see two identical gradients applied to two identical paths. One looks fragmented and shattered, something is really off with the tessellation. The other one is fine.

If you select the weird one disable the Overprint Stroke option in Attributes — it works fine. Choose another and enable the option — it gets corrupted as well.

If you copy either in a new file — the behavior continues. But if you try to reproduce this bug anew in a new file from the scratch — it won’t get reproduced.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Freeform Gradient fails at transformation.

Hey I like the freeform gradient tool. But after it is applied to an object, the gradient has some major issues with resizing and rotation of the object. From what I can tell the points are not truly anchored in the object, so when the shape rotates the gradient points drop off the object, causing them to delete. It's like the gradient floats above the object. Or more frustratingly, sometimes when using the line gradient within the freeform settings, a point will delete causing the lines to cross and lock up, becoming uneditable. Usually, if you are within the gradient,…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Freeform Gradient Crashes Illustrator

If press V and I select seemingly any object in my drawing, press G to select gradient, and then I select Freeform Gradient, then Illustrator simply freezes forever until I force it to close. I'm able to select Linear and Radial gradient just fine. This only seems to happen with Freeform Gradient. I attached my file to this ticket. If you want a specific object to try, try the blue handle of the sword in the bottom right. But it seems to happen on any object.

I'm using Adobe Illustrator 26.0.3 64-bit.

My RAM is not overloaded, and I have…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Freeform Gradient not working with Compound Path

Freeform Gradient does not work on a Compound Path (e.g. an outlined text or logo). Ai doesn't give any feedback on the problem, it just does not work.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Freeform Gradient / Gradiente Livre - Problemas com objeto expandido

[HELP] [Free Gradient] Guys, I have a problem that I can't solve. I created a vector icon that is joined and expanded. When I apply Gradient Free it appears normal. But when I resize the object it is "losing the gradient". I recorded the screen. I've tried everything here, do you know how to solve it? The editable file is there: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aP40Rzv_zUG0MZSqTp16ZfJsnRlMLPME/view?usp=sharing

Thank you guys

[AJUDA] [Gradiente Livre] Pessoal, estou com um problema que não consigo resolver. Criei um ícone em vetor que está unido e expandido. Quando eu aplico o Gradiente Livre aparece normal. Mas quando eu redimensiono o…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Freeform gradients become uneditable

I actually don't know if this is a feature request or a bug report, but I can't edit freeform gradients after I deselect the object with the gradient and then come back to it. When I come back to an object with a freeform gradient, using the gradient tool, the mouse pointer gets a little "no" symbol next to it (Wikipedia says it's called a general prohibition sign) and I can't see, let alone select and edit, any of the stops of the gradient. Is this a bug, or am I supposed to not be able to edit these? If…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Freeform gradient becomes uneditable

Once applied, a freeform gradient is no longer editable. Ex. If I apply to a circle, and click off to work on something else, then come back to the circle, I can't edit it again. The circles don't appear, and I am hitting "Edit Gradient". Maybe Windows bug? When I watch tutorials on this, only need to select object and open freeform gradient tool to be able to edit gradients again.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

15. Freeform Gradient line mode misbehaviour

The new Freeform gradient tool seems to be full of bugs :(

One such example is when you are working with a line type gradient that has 3 or more points, selecting a certain point, double clicking to change the colour and then selecting the eyedropper will change the point selection to the most recently created point.

Illustrator 23.0
    MacOS 10.12.6

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Illustrator on Mac, updated to Ventura. Freeform gradients are not showing up in saved PDF

Hi, i just updated to Ventura. My company invoice banner has a freeform gradient that isn't showing up.
    It shows up in adobe acrobat, not in preview. However when i sent it as a trial to a friend on whatsapp via the desktop app, the gradient showed up. On the phone in the whatsapp app it doesnt. This discrepancy is highly frustrating.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Gradient stroke cannot be cut and pasted.

Reproduction:

1. Draw a path with a gradient stroke and no fill.
    2. Select and cut or copy the path.
    3. Paste. Normally, In Front, Behind, or In Place.
    4. The expected result is, of course, a new copy of this gradient-stroked path.
    5. Actual results range from a copy of the path with the stroke expanded, an image that was cut and paste sometime last week, or an error popup that says "This operation cannot complete because of an unknown error [PDF!]"

Seen on OSX 10.14.6 with AI 24.1 and AI 24.1.2.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the comment from the OP, the LaunchBar clipboard manager seems to not be compatible the Illustrator format. The same happens with other clipboards managers, including the default one for Windows. However, there are reports it used to work with previous versions of Illustrator. If you have more details on this, or the same problem, — please comment.

18. The operation cannot be complete beacuse of an unknown error. [STEX]

Trying to use Freeform Gradient on a more complex shape(image attached) and I get this error "The operation cannot be complete because of an unknown error. [STEX]"
    I tried making a new doc and still same issue. Some of the elements are coloured, but not all.
    System: MacOS Mojave Version 10.14.6
    Illustrator Version 23.0.6
    Thanks!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Adding more than one color point in a freeform gradient fill makes other points vanish

I have had this problem with the freeform gradient tool since it was introduced and it has not been fixed. Adding more than one color point results in other color points disappearing.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. [Illustrator 27.9] Changing the Fill Color of All Objects Becomes Impossible After Using the Gradient Tool

After I change the color of a gradient stop several times, changing the fill color of virtually all objects becomes impossible until I restart Illustrator.

How to reproduce the bug:

1) Create any object with a gradient fill.

2) Keep changing the colors of the stops.

3) Once changing the colors becomes impossible, create a new object in either the same or a new document and try to set its fill color.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?