Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please add a quick keyboard combination to Export as function. I'm needed this a lot.

Please add a quick keyboard combination to Export as function. I'm needed this a lot.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Remove the 'Drawing Area' (dark grey area behind art boards)

The 'drawing area' behind artboards limits where you can place items (especially masked items that fall off this area), it limits the number of artboards, and limits how freely and where I can place multiple artboards. It also has no purpose at all as far as I can see.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Documents and Artboards  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Converting embedded fonts in PDFs to outline

As we primarily use Illustrator for creating our print files for our Printers, it would really help our workflow to be able to open, supposedly print ready PDFs from our Clients, with embedded fonts (partial family or whole set) and to be able to convert to vector outline before closing and passing on to our printers without the need for the us to have the same fonts our self. If font licensing is the issue a button option to auto convert to outline as the file is opened via Illustrator would negate that problem..

I'm requesting this as we are…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Type, Fonts, Text  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Try to Eliminate Modal Dialogs

There are entirely too many Modal dialog boxes in Illustrator. It would be nice if there were none. Everything that currently pops up and steals focus (completely obscuring everything behind it) should be done in a "settings panel" that can be opened or closed as necessary.

For example, there is nothing so urgent about the line tool that it should require a modal dialog box to open. If I want to configure the settings, they should appear in a panel called "settings" and I should be able to change them easily without having to stop everything, fill out the form,…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Automatic Saves and Back Ups

Softwares like Ableton, particularly Ableton, provide an automatic save feature, multiple back ups, as well as allow you to restore your work if your software crashes. Additionally, you can "Collect All and Save" and the program collects all the project files and organizes them within the project folder where you will never lose them as long as you have the folder and no longer have the issue of missing files. I believe that this system should be adopted by Adobe as this would save countless hours and lost progress for its users. Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make Isolate Selected Object work with text (point, area, on path)

Ai does not allow to isolate a text object.
    We can workaround it by grouping it first, isolating, selecting all and ungrouping — but why execute these many useless operation instead of one?
    Please make it possible.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Isolation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make Align and Distbute work for direct selected Paths

When subPaths of groups are selected, Align or Distribute works on the complete group, where we expect to work on the selection.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Align  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow eyedropper to ignore locked layers.

Allowing the eyedropper to optionally ignore the contents of locked layers would be very useful. Having a locked layer with transparency above an active layer and trying to sample a line weight, only to sample the fill or other attributes of a transparent object that you're working "through" is very frustrating.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Background Export (not save)

Ai now can save documents in background (partially, but still) — it saves a lot of time.
    InDesign, on the other hand, can export in background (well, some file types).

What if exporting process go in background too, leaving Ai unlocked?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance, Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. ツールボックスからのパネルリンク表示

いつもパネルがどこかに隠れます。 ツールボックスからもアクセスできるように。 たとえば文字ツールを長押しすると文字パネルへのリンクを表示、ペンツールを長押しすると線設定パネルへのリンク表示など

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please match Swatches to Document Color Mode

When creating a new document in RGB mode,
    the default Black Swatch is not black....

Please repair that. It's so annoying to have to change that manually each time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Increase maximum Keyboard increment for cursor keys

Keyboard increment Preference is maxed to 1296...

I need 1920 at least. Why not make it as big as the max artboard size?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance, Enhancements  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Show Smart guides when using Curvature Tool

When using the curvature tool to creat a symmetric curve, it would be nice when smart guides (to the center) are shown.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Snapping  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Recovery Improvement

The cancel button should not instantly close the file. The reason why is I'm so used to pressing cancel to get out of an option that I don't want without it closing the file. Because of this, I have been conditioned to think that if I press cancel then I will still be able to work on the file. This goes for all Recovery options on all the programs. It would also be nice to have access to said recovery file longer rather than it being completely lost after pressing cancel.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Remove the "legacy" designation from Save For Web.

Save For Web was marked as "legacy" when Export For Screens was added, with the implication SFW would be vanishing at some point. It's seven years later and SFW is still around, and still what I use 100% of the time over EFS and the terrible Export As... options.

Save For Web is a great tool for someone creating art with Illustrator; it lets me quickly and easily adjust the file format and resolution of the generated image for whatever I may need, and uses most of the screen to show me exactly what I'll be getting.

Export for Screens?…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File Save, Import and Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add pattern filled object to swatch box to create a new pattern

This is very essential for the fashion industry.

As of now, it's not possible to create a seamless pattern with a pattern filled object and add it as a swatch.

We either have to expand the filled object or rasterize the pattern filled object to able to add to the swatch box. It's hindering because we can't recolor easily.
    This option should be added.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Snap collisions

Is there any way you can implement the snap to collision feature like Astute plugin Colliderscribe?

Through this feature, you can snap tangents or edges of circles for geometric constructions.

I just upgraded my Ai from 2019 to 2021 after having my new M1 Macbook and I can’t use my Astute plugin Colliderscribe anymore unless you pay an annual subscription for their whole suite of tools which is unreasonable for me because I only use this particular tool and not the entire suite.

Corel Draw and Affinity have this feature so I’m thinking to make a switch instead of paying…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Paste in multiple layers

I'd like to paste on multiple layers simultaneously - e.g. copy someting, select certain layers, ctrl + alt + v pastes it on all selected layers -> that would be helpful for multi-language files.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Ability to back-up custom toolbars and cloud back-up

We can back-up preferences and settings via Edit > My Settings > Export Settings. We can back-up Actions via "Save Actions". But currently we cannot back-up our customised toolbars. It would be very useful if that option could be added to "Export Settings".

It would also be very useful if all settings could be backed-up to the cloud, similar to Photoshop's new "Sync Presets" option.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Vorhandene Farbe aus Farbfelder - zeige mir Objekte mit dieser verwendeten Farbe an.

Vorhandene Farbe aus Farbfelder - zeige mir Objekte (Fläche oder Linie) mit dieser verwendeten Farbe an.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors, Swatches, Patterns  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base