Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

482 results found

1. A hotkey to make the Transform tool only transform fill patterns.

When dragging with the selection or direct selection tools, or using the rotate, and scale tools to transform an object, you can hold down ~ to only transform its pattern fill. But the free transform tool doesn’t do this. Can we get it to do this?

(As with the rotate, scale, and selection tools, holding down the other modifier keys whole holding down ~ should act as they normally do with the Transform tool.)

There is a ‘transform pattern only’ option in the free transform panel’s menu, but that’s a lot of clicks far away from the thing you’re…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Merge Swatches Shortcut Key

Can we get a shortcut key or be able to create a keyboard shortcut for Merge Swatches in the Swatches Panel?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Please, for the love of god, add a key command or right click function to either collapse or expand all layers in the layer panel.

We work on enormous files with a complex layer arrangement. It gets frustrating when a layer containing a selected object expands itself whenever a different layer is interacted with. For the sake of organising your workspace, there really ought to be a button (in the options menu or what have you) that allows you to just collapse all layers. Obviously the opposite - expanding all layers - would be equally valuable. Muchos gracias.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Kill switch

Would be great FOR ALL ADOBE PRODUCTS to create a kill switch at start-up. Don't know how many times I have launched AE when I meant to click on Illustrator, or really any product. Having a button to stop the software from launching after accidentally clicking on it would be great, locate the button on the start-up panel....

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Reduce / Extend path effect

Like in After Effects, it would be very useful to have an effect or an option in the Stroke panel like the "reduce path" animation option to draw more complex strokes (instead of duplicate them), like in the RubberHose plug-in. Could be useful to draw characters or set up files to export to AE.
    Thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Stroke width profiles stored with files, not with app

Currently, variable stroke width profiles are stored within the app, not within the file. So when I want to work on a cloud file on another computer, I have to manually add profiles to the saved profiles dropdown again from existing strokes, because they are no longer available.

And while you're at it, add sorting, exporting and importing options to the variable width panel, it is seriously frustrating having to go through all of them every time - if you commonly use this feature, the list can get quite long.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Character and paragraph options should be deployed more easily in Properties and remain if desired

Hello,

I work in the printing house, and we make labels, our main software in this environment is Illustrator, it lacks a lot of things which are very useful in InDesign or Photoshop and winch cannot be found in Illustrator.

Among these missing I find that the property panel should be improved, for example as for InDesign, the character and paragraph options should be deployed more easily and remain if desired without having to deploy the menu each time you use it.
    It also lacks the overprint object option.

Sorry I am French and I have google translate translate.

Thank…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Asset Export Alt-Drag

Why did you guys require that the existing functionality of dragging a group into the asset export panel now requires the addition of "Alt" - now i have to "Alt-Drag" an item, otherwise the selection breaks apart into all the groups. "Alt-Drag" should have been the keystroke for breaking the asset into groups, leaving the regular drag and drop as is - as people have learned that method already.

Were there user studies conducted that indicated that it was better to change the default behavior, and make the standard behavior do something different?

I have to relearn a mental model…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Better support when Expanding shapes that have a Mask like "Draw Inside"

Normally when creating a clean vector logo the process involves expanding appearance and cleaning up the shape, but if the Draw Inside or a Mask is used the result may look verry different from the original shape. No warning that the appearance is altered is given.

Workaround is to export the part of the illustration that contains "Draw Inside" objects as a PDF, I would use Asset Export Panel. Plaxe the asset and then Expand. This is a work around, and requires the asset to appear at the exact same spot.

A video explaining the work around https://youtu.be/ziTS7VYdacQ

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Editable path smoothing for pencil and brush paths

I'm proposing smoothing that may be applied or removed after a path has been created with the pencil or brush tool by the user. When a path is being created, the program would capture necessary coordinate information and the path would be represented on screen as drawn, or with a certain amount of smoothing (set prior to drawing in tool panel). If the user wanted more or less smoothing applied after creating the path, the amount could be adjusted by selecting the path and changing the amount applied. If the path would no longer need adjusting, it could be…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Need Better (and Less-Hidden) Accessibility Tagging Options

Please make it much easier to add accessible alt-text to InDesign documents. There should be an accessibility panel and pre-check to make it very easy for designers.

As it is now, it's too hidden: https://www.adobe.com/accessibility/products/indesign/alt-text.html

Posted in reference to my tweet, at the request of Adobe Support: https://twitter.com/exkclamation/status/1424788475698499585

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Move Blend Mode keyboard shortcuts from the Tools into the Menu Commands section

If you open Keyboard Shortcuts, make sure you have Tools selected, scroll all the way down, you’ll see all 'Blend Mode - [name of the mode]' commands there — empty, ready to be assigned... but. Opt/Alt cant’ be used for these. Because these are in tooools. Which means these can be bound only to naked keys and Shift+keys. Which are all taken, long time ago!

So please move Blend Mode keyboard shortcuts from the Tools section into the Menu Commands section, so we can use all possible modifiers for these, and not only Shift.

Also, why do we even have…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Adobe Stock info available in-app

It would be really helpful to have access in-app to complete information for Adobe Stock Assets, especially the content creator, so that I can credit the image properly in my work. Perhaps a re-tool of the info available in the Libraries panel would be the best way, or even an "i" icon over the image next to the purchase icon?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Option to permanently add a brush to every opened document

I often use very specific custom made brush in an Operation. Adding panel with library containing this brush does not help - I have to click on it in every document before starting the operation. Option to permanently add a brush to every opened document would be splendid. Or at least to incorporate that into Operation. (no, using paste in operation doesn't work)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Toolbar saving and reset. Workspace including keyboard shortcuts.

Nice that you can make your own toolbar. But why didn't you make it like in Photoshop? You can save it to a file, so it would be possible to reset if I make a mistake: then I just reload it. The interface of Photoshop is easier to understand. And when you're working on this: why can't I just reset the toolbar to what has been saved previously?

Also about the interface: nice that I can make my own keyboard shortcuts, but I would like to save that in my workspace, along with my tools and my panels.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Dragging from Bridge to Illustrator

Change the standard file-placement behaviour from Bridge to Illustrator so that it places the contents of the AI file (rather than a PDF or a PNG).

Say you've got a local library of picture elements, and you're browsing it in Bridge; you need to bring those elements into a currently open AI file. What do you do?

The obvious thing is to use Bridge like a library navigator, and simply drag the ai file into your composition. However, you can't;What actually happens is you get a PNG file; if you shift-drag you get a PDF file; both are useless.

And…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Lock or unlock Navigator View from General View. Two Separate Views

During my work I need to have two different views of my artboard or canvas. Now the Navigator panel and General view showing me the same view.

Adding an option that will allow to have two separate view can enhance my workflow. That can be achieved if we will have an option to lock or unlock Navigator View from General View.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is no need to use Navigator panel for this.

Just call Window > New Window, untab it (if you use tabs), resize and reposition it the way you like, and work within the main window — all the changes you make are going to be rendered in real time in the second one.

18. Add more essential features to touch mode in illustrator

Really essential features like the eyedropper tool, having the tools available at the top (like clipping mask, gaussian blur), and the essential properties panel (with pathfinder and align) as an openable tab (where colours or weight is in touch mode at the moment on the right) would be great.

This is because I often find myself switching between essentials and touch on my laptop when I am completing my coursework, which means that I am lagging behind my class and sometimes switching so frequently between tablet and laptop modes physically makes my laptop stuck on one of these modes, causing…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. not grayscale color as default, or set other color setting as a default

I know that you can change the color mode in color window. But it's really pain in the *ss to do it every time I create a new document.
    and the idea setting grayscale as a default for every document with every color mode is ridicolous . (why Illustrator not changing it since it's way too inconvinient)
    Idk the history of Illustrator etc. and I won't be bothered by it, I just want to have an option to change the default color setting. that's it.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Fit a symbol on multiple 3D objects at once

Would love that a symbol could fit on MULTIPLE objects at once, like here the bottom petal to have its symbol continue on the left one.

And I would love if I could, from the decals box, get a ctrl/right click option to duplicate one symbol. So far, I need to add it from the symbol panel again which will reset its position to the center of the object.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base