Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

575 results found

1. Contextual Eyedropper Tool

Currently, the Eyedropper Tool is an underutilized and often counter-intuitive tool that needlessly increases the complexity of a workflow because of its limitations. This- combined with Illustrator's poor color tools- often adds unnecessary time and effort to what should and could be more simplified tasks.

For example, a common situation is that I have a shape with a fill color that I like, and I want another shape that has a stroke to also use that color, except only for the stroke. Currently, if I use the eyedropper tool on the filled shape, it will completely remove the stroke and…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    The solution to that would be to activate a stroke if you want to apply a color to it, then to hold Shift when clicking a color — does not matter where this color is on a stroke or a fill. Illustrator then applies the picked color to the active fill/stroke, ignoring the source nature. There are two things to know — the cursor does not inform you about this mode (unlike the Alt-mode, should be addressed), and if you pick a color from a swatch — you’d get a screen representation of the color... harmless for RGB documents (if your color settings are in order), but crucial for CMYK documents (should be addressed too). Pleas comment back.
  2. SVG Import Notification and/or debug log

Short back story: My company is an online supplier of custom printed products. Customers design their order on our website which we translate into an SVG file. Our production team imports that SVG file into AI for final processing of the customers order.

When importing SVG files to AI sometimes entire parts of the design are not imported without any notification or log of the event.

For example, when our production team imports SVGs where the text contains an emoji we sometimes (maybe always?) find that the entire text block is no longer included in the design. This is not…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Keep link when placing DXF/DWG file

Hi,

Could it be possible to keep the link to the original file when placing a DXF or a DWG in Illustrator?
    The goal is to be able to update the view if the external file change...
    having the geometry active like it's done for text glyph in order to be able to snap to geometry could be the cherry on the cake.

Many thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Images, Links  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Ability to rotate an image 90 degrees when exported for screens

Having the ability to rotate an image 90 degrees when exported for screens would save a step when saving some art for the web.

Some artwork with text is saved built so the type is horizontal for ease of typing/reading. Current exports require the art to be built and then rotated 90 degrees in Photoshop.

The ability to rotate saves a step.
    It is a small nice improvement for Illustrator.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Select all the value at once

Is it possible when clicking on a value such the shape, dimensions or text height etc. to select all the value so it can be replaced faster. Right now I have to delete the values number by number or select all with Ctrl-A then delete.
    It would be appreciated if you have the option to select all when clicking on it.
    It will save a lot of time.
    Thank you

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Type on a Path Options

Type on a Path needs significant improvements.

• The Preview button should be sticky and the default position should be on.
    • There need to be more alignment options including Cap Height and x Height.
    • The options should be a panel not a dialogue.
    • The options should be included in a style, perhaps by adding InDesign like object styles.
    • The margins added when a path is converted to a type path should always start out at the ends of the path, not some arbitrary points along the path.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Power Efficiency

Since I've moved to working remotely entirely, I've noticed how quickly using several Adobe programs burns through my laptop battery. I'm running a brand new 16" Macbook Pro with the latest MacOS Catalina version, and I'm lucky if I get an hour and a half of battery life while running InDesign and Illustrator at the same time. When I review what is using the most battery life, my Mac lists InDesign, Illustrator, and Core Sync as the main culprits.

Now, I understand that these programs at times are fairly graphically intensive, but the battery life I'm getting is absymal, and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow the bullet behavior to be turned ON or OFF

I would very much like to have the option to turn the Bullet behavior ON or OFF. - Part of why I use Illustrator as much as I do is that I like to have complete control of my design. I use InDesign in a very limited, specific way, even with book layout, i.e. TOC & pagination. - For example, I'm trying to make headers for a short PDF and I can't add numbers before my headers without loosing control of the styling. They've been gobbled up by the bullet functionality and I can't even change the color. I can't…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. When snapping to a point please take edges of object into consideration

"When snapping to a point, the snapping alignment depends on the position of the pointer, not the edges of the dragged object." -- A. Illustrator

...but if I could put my pointer exactly where I need it in order to get the edge of an object exactly on the margin, what's the point of the snap to feature? That is a pain in the butt. And really hard to do. I need the option of snapping the edges of the object to the margin. Spart guides do not help.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Top toolbar should display true length and width of shapes, not the "properties" of the shape.

It's very confusing when you reference the top toolbar to see the length and width of a shape only to realize the values are completely wrong. This is because the top toolbar displays the "properties" of a shape for whatever reason. The length of an object should always be the longest horizontal measurement, and the height should always be the longest vertical measurement, regardless of rotation. Despite not displaying true length and width, the toolbar uses symbols which clearly indicate length and width: a double ended horizontal arrow first, then a double ended vertical arrow second. Unless a user clicks…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Mirror Buttons

Mirror buttons (vertical and horizontal) directly on the control bar.
    Also, implement this feature in Photoshop.
    ...instead of "image/transform/flip..." overtime we need to mirror an image.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Distribute non-uniform objects equally

Would love to have a function that would arrange/distribute different non-uniform objects evenly within a prescribed area. This would be similar to how the current horizontal and vertical "distribute spacing" works but across a two dimensional area rather than just one dimension. The spacing should based on the edge of each object, not from the bounding box.

This function would be valuable for:
    -creating unique patterns
    -quickly arranging objects for a layout involving many individual objects
    -maximizing space for printing/die cutting individual custom pieces such as stickers

User defined parameters could include:
    -apply to selected objects
    -fit within artboard
    -fit…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Hiperlinks

Right now you must use Acrobat or Indesign to integrate hiperlinks in the file. You can do the 0% opacity trick (putting a hiperlink in 0% opacity on top of the text you want to link) but it's not usable or efficient.
    I have so many files that are 90% illustracions, so it's the best for me to use Illustrator, but I would love to include the links in the file, not having to edit it in other softwares afterwards...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 3D Materials Inflate: taper volume, change direction of taper

I love the taper feature! It would be helpful to change the direction vertical/horizontal. Also the ability to also taper volume to create squeeze bottles that are round at the base but flat at the top.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. I want simple features like "path-continuation" or a simple way to color shapes that were made by paths.

Okay im super new to Illustrator and just got kind of used to Photoshop but now I try to make some stuff with Illustrator and run in constant issues.
    I actually spent more time looking up extremely basic things that should simply work but are hidden somewhere or not possible? in Illustrator than I got to work on the things I tried to make.
    For example I created a detailed image with thousands of paths, tried to fit it into After Effects for an animation just to find out its much to bright. I went back to Illustrator and found…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Radial interface (popup) for previewing ALL THE SWATCHES.... S I M U L T A N E O U S L Y.

If a user wants to preview ALL the swatches in the swatch library at once, the time and sequence of events to do so is extremely unnecessarily tedious.

"Preview all swatches" button -> BAM: radial view of all swatches on screen. (doesn't even have to be legible. text can be upside down. Maybe rotate it with the mouse wheel. Click one swatch set -> then Bam! That's the swatch docked to the panel. All the others dissapear. or "Unsummon the swatches" button.

"Smithers Release the hounds"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Locked Object as Key Object

It would be very helpful to have the option to enable a locked object to be selected as a key object. I would make aligning object workflows to be slightly more efficient.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Edit multiple identical objects real-time

Hello!
    Would be cool to have a feature where for example when editing 2 identical objects, you can convert one object into main object and other into "mirrored" one through layer system/window and then mirrored one will show same changes real-time whenever I'm editing the main one. Afterwards when turning off the feature, all the "mirrored" ones turn into seperate objects (as if rasterized).
    This would be a game changer when I'm editing text that is turned into object and I want same edits to be applied to all other identical letters.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Rotate objects around an anchor point but each object stays in it's original orientation

See attached image to help make sense of my ramblings.

This may already be an option that I'm not aware of but I'd love the ability to rotate objects around a point but those objects NOT to be rotated but just repositioned. In the example I attached, I want to be able to rotate the outer orange circles around the centre point of the blue circle. When I do this, the circles and text rotate. This is a simple example but I think it's got potential on more complex things.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Move & Scale by small decrease/increment of mouse wheel in properties

The idea is that when i use CTRL + Mouse Wheel to scale or move in properties any object or text the numbers are something like Y: 550.624 px when doing this they change to Y: 550.7 px i would like to be able it changes at small phase Y: 550.625 px or Y: 550.63 px so there will be 2 additional increments. Else i have to type this numbers manually.
    I would assign them to some keyboard numbers like hold 1, 2 or 3 + mouse wheel for each increment.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base