When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

4422 results found

1. A rectangular marquee in Intertwine edit mode can’t be repositioned with Spacebar held

When I draw a rectangle, I can hold Space bar to reposition it to a place I want. This would make defining zones in Intertwine Edit mode so much easier, but no, this is not possible — yet, I hope.

Also this is not possible when a new artboard is created which is also a miss: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/45845635-hold-space-to-reposition-an-artboard-while-creatin

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Hold Space to reposition an artboard while creating it

When I create a rectangle, I can hold Space bar to reposition it to a place I want. For some reason this is not possible when I create new artboards, which are also rectangles in a way.

Also this is not possible when I try to reposition a rectangular zone in Intertwine Edit mode, which I hope will be fixed soon too: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/45845641-a-rectangular-marquee-in-intertwine-edit-mode-can

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Lasso tool in Intertwine is not the actual Lasso tool and needs a separate cursor

This implies a user can use other tools to draw an intertwine zone, but switching tools just leads to ending the editing mode — which also does not get telegraphed well enough, https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/45845602-make-intertwine-edit-mode-telegraphed-better.

While the action this pseudo-tool performs is more or less the same, the difference is murky. Either change the cursor or make the mode more clear.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. A group can’t be turned into an Intertwine object

I suspect it’s because the team is going to improve Intertwines and make then operate on groups as elements, instead of single paths, but this does not mean a single selected group should be affected and block us from converting it to an intertwined art.

Live Paint allows to convert a group, no problem with that.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add Expand command for Intertwine objects

Unlike other special objects, like Live Paint-s, Envelopes, Blends, etc., Intertwine objects don’t have their own Expand command. It’s not very consistent.

We need this command to appear in the menu, the context menu, Properties, Control.

Repeats don’t have this one too, which is also strange: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/41138800-repeat-expand-appearance

We have to use the general Object > Expand: Object for this — but is has a dialog, which is not always nice.
    A specific Expand allows to choose the order of operations for a complex objects. Take blends, for example — if you apply 'expands' in a wrong order, you risk to…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add an option to not zoom to the artboard at newly created files

When you create a document in Ai, it first gets created and they Ai fits the artboard in window. For me, at Windows, it also happens with a noticeable delay, which sucks.
    But in the first place — why does it do it? I never asked for it, I want it to be at 100% and have it fitted only when the artboard is larger than my viewport, not smaller!
    I’d like to have at least a key value to edit somewhere in Prefs file to disable this auto-zooming.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. In Appearance calling alternative color UI is done with Shift and not obvious Alt

For some we have to hold Shift while clicking a fill/stroke square in Appearance panel to call the alternative pseudo-panel.
    Alt = Alternative. Sure, Macs have Option instead, but it also fits.

Also, the hint has the 'Shift' and 'Color' written in lower-case: 'Hold shift key to bring up alternate color UI'... and I have no idea why 'alternate', why no alternation happens? Who wrote this hint?

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Drag tools from one toolbar to another

When I setup tool panels for various reasons), I can’t just drag it between tool panels.
    The only way to do it now is to remove the tool first in the first toolbox and add it again in the second one. Each panel has its own Edit mode and tools get dragged only within an edited panel :(

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Fractional resolution value in Document Raster Effects Settings

I live in a metric part of the world and use millimeters as my main measuring unit, including type, strokes, and raster effects.

Since inch a s SI unit, it now equals exactly 2.54mm.
    For me it means 254ppi is 100ppcm, 127ppi is 50ppcm, and instead of 300ppi I use 120ppcm (equals 304.8ppi) — which gives me exact integer dimensions for all of images I use. The grid becomes meaningful and all objects behave and befriend each other.

Unfortunately for me, Illustrator plays this game not as good as I want it to — I can’t enter 304.8 to Resolution…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. API for getting the reflection/flip property of an image frame

We would like to get the flip property of an image frame..
    It can be in a similar way to the way we get the rotation by passing the matrix:
    AIAPI void (*AIRealMatrixGetRotate) ( const AIRealMatrix *m, AIReal *angle );

If this is not possible, then as a workaround we can get some notifies, for example: kFlipHorizontalNotifier or kFlipVerticalNotifier in order to know that the user selects to flip the image.

Thanks,
    Chen

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Font Height Options - "Cap Height" option by default

The new font height option is great!

However, working in the sign trade, everyone including our clients (who are mostly Architects) specify text by cap height so we are constantly changing the default Em size to cap height.

It would save a lot of time and also eliminate any potential size issues with someone having the wrong option selected which could be very costly.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Absolute mode that always sets a fill a single click and stroke with the Alt+click/right click

Setting a color for fill and stroke depends on what is 'active' in the toolbox. This is a relative mode mode and it's unique for Adobe apps (and their imitators/imitators).

What about giving a direct way of setting fill/stroke, without remembering which is in focus now? somewhat like Corel Draw does?
    Give us an option to be able to set a fill with a single click, and a stroke with the Alt+click (and additionally bringing it to focus), or right click.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Convert to path object - keep object name

When I rasterise a letter or text in Photoshop, the layer keeps the original name.

Why can't Illustrator do the same? I type the letter A and the object in layers has the name "A". If I now change the letter to a Path object, the group is no longer called "A" but "group". What is still ok with one letter, becomes very annoying with 500 letters. Especially when it comes to special characters like ́ ˘ ̧ ̒ ̋ ̏ ̀ ̌ ̦ ̊ ̄ - ̨ ̣ ̇ ̷ ̃ ̈ ^, which are difficult to read in…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Arabic language management in non-Arabic versions of illustrator

It is necessary to be able to manage texts in Arabic also in the Italian version of illustrator. At the moment if I copy some Arabic text from Word and paste it on an illustrator text box, all features are lost and it is not possible to work. The solution is just to change the Illustrator language. The handling of Arabic texts should also be able to be used in other language versions.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Split "Scale strokes and Effects" into two options...

Please split the "Scale strokes and effects" into two options, one for strokes, and one for effects. See mockup attached.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Effect units bound to global units.

I am working with "mm" most of the time. However, when I use effects, I have to guess the right amount, since those are in "pixel" most of the time.
    As an example, feather or blur, and many more.

It would be nice if the units would change with the units used in the file.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Guide Labels

I would love the ability to label my guides. In fact maybe a hole overhaul to the guide system. In After Effects and Premiere you can add Composition Markers, give them comments and adjust their perimeters. It would be great if you could do that for guides.

On the rulers will show a marker. Double clicking the marker will bring up the Guide Controls. or when you select 'New Guide' from the drop down menu, Guide Controls takes place of the window that currently gets displayed.

I would love this across all programs: Photoshop, After Effects, and the like, not…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add a function to warn / show / forbid white overprints?

Can you please add a function to warn and show white overprints?

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Print  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Save a Copy from Adobe Cloud Document.

I've noticed that when you use the new Save to Cloud Documents feature (which is very nice and convenient) the option to Save a Copy is disabled.

I'm working on a manual to be viewed as a PDF on mobile devices, so I have to constantly save a PDF copy of my .aic document in order to send it to myself via WhatsApp (which is the target) and review it.

Not having the Save a Copy option is quite inconvenient. Could you guys enable it?

Thanks a lot!
    J.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Extend path tool

I make carpets, and I alway need min. 10 cm extra design for fitting or if the carpet shrinkts in production. For Illustrator artwork, I need to extend all paths, smoothly or naturally outside the border of the design, without changing the existing design.

What I'd like is the bezier extension as shown in this clip from Vector Scribe plugin:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlriFIrSoDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlriFIrSoDU

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)