Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

366 results found

1. Drag to select Text in fields broken with update

In the properties panel we are no longer able to drag to select the text in text fields. Very frustrating. This doesn't seem to be an issue in other text fields throughout the UI, mainly the properties panel.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.0.0 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

Thank you for all the feedback. Keep it coming!

2. Canvas goes white and blue when selecting object.

Whenever I select anything on the canvas, the entire canvas goes full white, and alternates between blue and white. Clicking anywhere on the canvas returns to the previous view, but it makes it impossible to make adjustments. I'm using Illustrator 25.0.1, on a 2019 16" MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur. I tied reverting to 25.0.0 but the same problem occurred.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.2.1 which is available worldwide now.

Going forward, our goal is to fix as many top User-Voice bugs as possible and as frequently as possible. Given the nature of the fixes, some of the bugs will take a longer time to fix, but we are on it.

You can update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

3. 17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. M1 Apple McBook - Crashing

I just got a new MacBook Pro with the M1 Apple chip. Illustrator keeps freezing and crashing. It also causes my whole computer to crash! I heard many other people are having the same problem. It is unusable by this point!

75 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This issue (entire M1 McBook system freezes) is fixed for AI 25.0.1 and 25.1

This fix takes effect in a day’s time, if you still face this entire system freeze then please follow the steps to update

1). Backup your preferences and launch Illustrator with fresh preferences
    2). Quit and re-launch Illustrator once again
    3). Use Illustrator in your workflow

If you see AI crash and entire system is not freezing then please create a new issue.

5. New Recolor Artwork information link not working

In the new Recolor artwork 2021 panel the info button in the lower left jumps to a link that is not working currently. It was working for me before, but in the past few days it's failed:
    http://www-staging.macromedia.com/go/ai_recolor_info

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. illustrator 2021 stuck on initializing on mac

illustrator 2021 stuck on initializing until I restart the whole system on mac. I have the latest version

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Locked background objects unlocking/moving when using lasso selection tool

When I select using the LASSO tool, on screen shows the correct points have been selected, but when I then try to move just these selected points, Illustrator also moves the LOCKED background objects underneath. This error does not happen when I select using other tools. This is clearly a bug!

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.1.0 which is available worldwide now.

8. Drop Shadow Deletion Crashes Illustrator

I can apply a drop shadow to a shape, and then when I copy & paste that shape and try to remove the drop shadow from the copied version, the application crashes.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.1 which is available worldwide now.

9. 107 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

43 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.1 which is available worldwide now.

10. Illustrator 2021 (Version 25.0.0) crashing when running Variable Importer script

Ever since the update, the program crashes when you either "test" the files before importing the variables or even if you skip this step and directly choose importing the variables, it completely crashes the application. I require this script for my job and have a project due this Friday, October 30th 2020. Please address immediately.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Big Sur and native Effects gallery crash

Anybody else getting Illustrator CC2019 and 2020 to crash in Big Sur (beta) when accessing the Filter Gallery (eg. Effect > Texture > Grain)?

You don't even have to apply the effect. Simply opening that window will doom you to a crash.

Tested with latest public releases of CC2019 + 2020 and macOS 11 Beta (20A5384c) on 2015 iMac.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. ExportOptionsPNG24.artBoardClipping broken in 2020

ExportOptionsPNG24.artBoardClipping (set to false)

In 2019 (23.1), PNGs exported by javascript are trimmed to the visible bounds of the object as expected when false. When true, they're the size of the artboard.

In 2020 (24.3), the same script always produces PNGs the size of the artboard whatever artBoardClipping is set to.

Illustrator 24.3 vs Illustrator 23.1
    Windows 10
    Script run via Illustrator (File/Scripts) as well as testing in ETSK 4.0.0.1

It's a dealbreaker for version 24. We can't upgrade as a team unless this is fixed.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.3.1 which is available worldwide now.

13. Trim Transparent Pixels on PNG Export BROKEN in 24.3

Exporting PNG used to trim out transparent pixels but in Version 24.3 that feature is broken. Exporting PNG results in a file with the dimensions of the object or group INCLUDING transparent pixels.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.2 which is available worldwide now.

14. Illustrator 24.3 Crashing When Selecting Colours with the Layers Palette Open

See video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7hete8hhhe7mzv/Screen%20Recording%202020-09-11%20at%2014.34.23.mov?dl=0

Illustrator 24.3 crashes when changing the colour of a gradient handle if the Layers palette is open and on-screen. Video above is a freshly re-installed Illustrator in a brand new user account (macOS 10.15.6).

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.0 which is available worldwide now.

15. Ver 23.3, When character unit is Q, spin button does not work properly with font size of character panel and control

Version : 24.3

1. Set the unit character to series (Q) in the environment settings
    2. Create point text and area text
    3. Change the font size of the character panel or control with the spin button.

In this operation, the spin button does not work properly, and the size can be changed only within a specific range based on the character size at the time of selection.
    In the property panel, it works normally.
    Even if you enter it directly, a value with decimal will be entered instead of the entered value.
    Other units are normal.

Original…

132 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 25.0 which is available worldwide now.

16. Text height is wrong

When you select a specific text height, it is not correct. Say for instance you select 1 inch for text height but in reality the cap height is .68 inches. We work at a sign shop and a lot of jobs require a specific text height. This is misleading when I pick 1 inch for text height and it is no where near 1 inch in height. Can you please make it where the text height corelates to the actual cap height of the text, otherwise this feature is useless.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Latest Illustrator releases have Font Height Options you can access form Character panel’s menu — they allow you to set font height as a capital / x-height specifically.

The functionality has some minor issues (regarding rounded stems for some fonts, keeping the chosen option between launches), but otherwise it is very good. Please try it!

17. Straight line extension does not work if the adjacent point has a handle

I have a shape.
    Some points of it have handles, some are not.
    For example, two points adjacent to the the bottom-most one: the right one has no handles, the left one has one.
    This, for some user-unfriendly reasons, matters and dictates Ai to draw an extension or not to.
    If I grab bottom point and try to move it along the right segment’s virtual extension, AI draws it for me and I can snap the point to it — 'because the adjacent point has no handles'.
    If I move this same point along the basically same straight left segment,…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 27.3.1 which is available worldwide now.

Ankit Goyal

Illustrator Team

18. MacOS Big Sur rendering bug.

Hi!
    I am an apple developer and I installed Big Sur beta (now on version 3) for work. I run into a problem with Illustrator that other people are not seeing. If I open one file everything is OK. When opening two or more files, I get a really nasty visual problem, with Illustror only. See file attached. Is anybody else having this problem, is there a way to fix it? I reinstalled Illustrator and it keeps happening.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Numbers disappear in text box when creating outlined text

On illustrator CC 2020 updated windows 10
    creating a text box with text and numbers.
    Aligning paragraph direction in right to left (middle eastern text alignment)
    Right click on text box
    Create outlines
    The numbers will disappear
    In the attached file there is a live text and an outlined one when the numbers disappeared

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am happy to share that we have fixed this bug in our latest release – 26.1.0 which is available worldwide now.

20. Illustrator 2020 (24.2.1) crashes when saving eps file

Illustrator 2020 (24.2.1) crashes with the following steps.

1. Apply a calligraphic brush to the path
    2. Save the document in [Illustrator CS EPS] or older format and close it
    3. Open the document from step 2 and save it again

Confirmation environment
    OS: macOS 10.15 (Catalina), macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
    Illustrator: v24.2.1

Stock illustration services often require Illustrator 10 EPS, so we expect corrections.

Illustrator 2020(24.2.1)が,次の手順でクラッシュします。

1. パスにカリグラフィブラシを適用する
    2. 書類を[Illustrator CS EPS]かそれより古い形式で保存し,閉じる
    3. ステップ2の書類を開き,再び保存する

確認環境
    OS: macOS 10.15 (Catalina), macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
    Illustrator: v24.2.1

ストックイラストサービスではIllustrator 10 EPSを要求されることが多いため,修正を期待しています。

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 18 19