Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

649 results found

1. illustrator wont open file windows

I have searched the support site and user voice with no results.

When I attempt to drag an *.ai file from the explorer window to Illustrator, or when I double click the file, it does not open. When I double click the file, Illustrator opens or switches to the window, my cursor briefly shows the 'thinking' animation but nothing happens.

• There is no freeze or crash
    • Restart of the application did not fix the issue.
    • File>>Open is the only way I can open files
    • This happens to all files whether created with CC 2019 or earlier versions

Specs:
    Illustrator CC…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Visual glitch prevents using Illustrator when file is opened from Finder before launching Illustrator

As the title describes, this glitch occurs consistently whenever launching a file from finder before launching Illustrator.

The file seems to open, as the layers can be seen in the layers window, but the main document editing window is occupied by the welcome menu. The welcome menu cannot be closed, and the files shown in the recent section cannot be opened. See image 1.

The only way to exit the menu without closing Illustrator is to open another Illustrator file through Finder or through File > Open. Then, another visual glitch will take place: the tabs used to select the…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

3. Can not export to png or jpg

When I try to export to jpg I get this error that comes up to lower my resolution. I have tried lowering it to 150dpi and still does not work.

When I try to export to png it comes up with an unknown error "(!now)"

This is ridiculous as I should be able to export from illustrator at any dpi without these issues as this is an expensive professional product.

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. CC 2019 version runs slow!

For some reason in this 2019 version of the program it chugs and is very slow to move around and work with my files, even if the files are not very large. I usually have to shut the program down and restart to correct the problem. Would like to know if anyone else is having this problem and if someone at Adobe could address this, thank you.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Unstable CC 2019 in Mojave

Illustrator CC 2019 on OSX Mojave is completely unstable.
    Ive been working on a few files today, Illustrator crashes within 3mins of working on a file and there is no recovery file, so basically I lose what I am working on. Im now saving every 30 sec anticipating a crash. At first I htought it was a font conflict, so I outlined all of hte fonts. Nope, still crashes. Next I will uninstall Illust CC19 and re-install.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Mojave is a supported operating system since Illustrator version 23.×.
    We request your help. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

6. Illustrator 2019 Crashes on startup

I've upgraded to the latest Illustrator (2019), but it crashes on startup. I have tried uninstalling it and re-installing it, but it still crashes. I've re-installed it with fresh preferences, e.g. not importing settings from the previous version and it still will not startup. The same thing is also happening to InCopy.??

Luckily I did not remove the previous version.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it??

I'm running a MacPro (Late 2013), 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB RAM, AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB, with macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

7. Illustrator crashes for no reason multiples times a day

While using the latest (up to date) version of illustrator CC 2018 on my macbook pro (High Sierra 10.13.1) I get constant crashes on illustrator, forcing me to restart the computer as it freezes and does not recover. These are a few of the instances when this has occured:
    - Changing between an Indesign open window and a Illustrator open window/document.
    - Zooming in/out.
    - Pasting copied objects from another open illustrator project.
    - Moving an object inside a canvas.
    - Creating new canvas in an open document.
    -- and the list goes on

I use my mac always connected…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,

8. Fonts Syncing

I just upgraded my computer to the Macbook Pro 2021 M1. I downloaded the latest versions of Adobe and noticed none of my fonts will sync. I've tried posted troubleshooting methods and none have worked (closing and restarting apps, reinstalled apps, multiple computer resets, unsyncing and resyncing manually, etc). Any time I open an Illustrator project with previously used fonts that aren't native to the app, it prompts me to sync but the load wheel just keeps spinning and will never finish.

I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

9. crash

CRASHING VERY OFTEN.
    I am hard Illustrator user, for over 20 years. For my surprise, this October version crashes almost every day. I reinstalled the sofware in one Dell XPS 8700 Machine and in a brand new Samsung X40 Notebook. In both cases AI still crashing suddenly. Hope you Dev Team guys work ******* this, becaus one of the reasons to use AI was its stability. No more...

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Mouse click sticking

This problem only seems to happen in Illustrator. I have not seen this issue when I use Photoshop.

Clicking with the mouse, does not always work as expected. It is almost like there is a long delay before the release is detected, resulting in a drag operation. Sometimes I see the spinner appear after I click. I have tried a different mouse, same issue. In the video, I am only ever doing a quick click, without moving the mouse.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Color change Problems

I have a collection of swatch colors that I save, and for some reason, they are all getting dull. A bright orange to darker gradient turns to a muddy orange and all of the swatches are dull. I copy the logo from an older file and realize how dull my colors have become. You can see how dull the colors have become in the attached image. Also, the Graphic Styles have become duller. You can see the new refreshed colors form a different file with the two swatches at the middle bottom of the Graphic Styles window. This is a…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Selection tool acting like Direct selection tool and vice versa

Selection tool does not select all points and will not move a group of objects correctly, (it acts like the Direct Selection tool, not selecting all points). And the Direct Selection tool selects ALL points of a group and moves them, which is what the Selection tool is supposed to do. They are working exactly opposite as they should. "Show Bounding box" does not resolve this issue. The Selection tool has also instantly changed format of text simply upon selection (indent & tracking). Using MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, Illustrator CC 2019. This is a bad bug, please help.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

Warm Regards,

13. Selection Tool - not showing box when shape is selected?

When I am using the Selection Tool, it doesn't show the box it did before round the selected shape. So I can't alter the shape.

It seems to be filled in green corners exactly like the direct selection tool.

I have closed Illustrator and opened it again.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Recent Files Browser Window: the wrong file opens when choosing a recent file.

This has happened multiple times. It isn't a one off incident.

Adobe Illustrator CC 22.1 (64-bit) / Windows 10

Step 1: Open Illustrator from desktop icon.
    Step 2: Click on a recent file from displayed recent file options.

Expected result: Selected file opens.

Actual result: A file other than the one I clicked opens.

There doesn't appear to be a pattern to which file opens, other than it is one from the selection of recently opened/saved files shown. See attachment.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.

15. "Envelope distort > Make with top object" is warping/distorting text.

I've seen this issue in a lot of online forums, but found no answer. I'm using the CC trial version, fairly new to Illustrator.

Online tutorials show users creating a shape > typing text > converting text to outline > move shape to front > selecting shape and text > Object > Envelope Distort > Make with Top Object. It shapes the text perfectly to shape, without distorting the font or curving the letters.

But when I follow these steps, but my text always comes out wavy and distorted within the shape. I've tried Envelope Options and deselecting "Distort Appearance"…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. crashing

So, I updated to the latest version of illustrator about two weeks ago. Then I realised it crashed every 30 minutes or so, every single time i used it. I'm not doing anything particularly heavy, it just crashes randomly. and I often lose the work i've done as the auto save doesnt seem to catch the last few things I've been doing. So, I decided to uninstall and go back to the 2017 version. Which then lead to my documents having their own issues. all saving as transparent, or with weird lines going through them. Here I am again with…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Issues with saving

2020 update often gives error while saving. It says the file cannot be saved. It then deletes the current file I'm working on, opens up a new window and I have to click save - as if I pressed "Save As..."

It happens quite often when I press "Cmd + S" to just save my artwork.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Main selection tool not working right

The selection tool will select and move objects, but I cannot grab the corner and resize them. I have to use the direct selection tool and select any anchor points I want to move, even to do a simple re-size

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Can't switch to tabbed files/windows, screen turns gray, can't view any open files/windows.

When I have several files open, I can't switch tabs to another file. It gets stuck on one file, even if I click on different tabs, and eventually the screen goes grey and I can't view any open files.
    The only way to fix is to close files (without being able to see them!) and restart Illustrator. Hugely inconvenient to close files without seeing them.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base