Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

242 results found

1. Selection tool, bounding box

Square did not fill with the fill color I selected. The objects are all pixelated and not clear. Bounding boxes keep disappearing. Objects moving back to previous positions.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Performance  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Adding Preset Brushes to Brushes CAN cause drop down menu to break

I wanted to have all the brushes that come packed with Illustrator available to me at all times. I loaded the ones I wanted, selected and added the brushes. Once I did this the drop down menu crashes and will not come back, the top is lost and does not scroll up. This has effected all my documents until I closed down Illustrator. When I did this again it was fine.... any ideas?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Benjamin,

Once you load all the brushes that you need in brushes panel, Save it as library from the flyout and you can open this library everytime you want to use it.
    You can mark the library persistent, so that it opens on restarting the application.
    Hope this helps. If you still need help write to sharewithai@adobe.com with mention of this.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

3. 5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. black screen problem

When creating a new document or opening an existing document in Illustrator, I get a black screen (see attached). I have to resize the window to be able to work. This is not ok.
    Version 22.1, MacOS 10.13.3, MacBook Pro with external monitor as main screen.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for confirming that it is working fine in 23.0.3
    I am closing the issue now. If you still face the issue please send am email to sharewithai@adobe.com and mention this thread and my name in the mail.

Thanks
    Anish Kumar
    Illustrator Team

5. Smart Guides no longer work.

Smart Guides no longer work in Illustrator

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. AI displays the START SCREEN on opening the file and the document view do not switches (refreshes) the file content.

v 22.1

When trying to open an existing file while Illustrator is closed, the software will lag and then hang on the opening screen. The file appears to be opened in the background, but there's no way to access or see it. The opening screen will give options to open additional files or create a new one (as usual) but when trying to do either, nothing will open and no New File Options menu will appear.

Everything will work normally only if I open Illustrator first and then the file.

This happens will every file I've tried, so this isn't…

200 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

192 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you all for reporting this issue and providing us your valuable feedback.

What we have found out so far is that this issue can happen in multiple workflows. For clear tracking, validation and closure. We will closing this thread for given below two scenarios which we believe are fixed now:

1)Double click any Ai file to launch Illustrator
    2)Placing files in Illustrator via Bridge.

For two other scenarios that we know of that can cause this, we have created a separate thread :https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/39220189-ai-displays-the-start-screen-on-opening-the-file-a .If you are encountering the below mentioned issues with latest Version (24.0.1 on Mac and Win), then please vote on newly provided User voice thread and provide Test File via File→Package, Video and steps via dropping email at sharewithai@adobe.com along with this thread link so that we can identify and fix the root cause.

1. On opening a file in Illustrator the START SCREEN do…

7. Transform Panel in Properties – Nudge using arrow keys problem

In investigating my own question from in the user forum (https://forums.adobe.com/message/10238447#) I discovered that there is a disconnect between the Transform panel that is embedded in the properties panel and the Transform panel that you access via the Window dropdown.

The free floating TRANSFORM panel you access from the Window dropdown works just like it always did... when I put my cursor in the X, Y, W or H and click an up or down arrow key it first rounds to the nearest .125" then increases or decreases .125" at a time (assuming the units are set to…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Adding Bleed to Previously Saved Files

I use Adobe CC. I've been trying to add bleed to a previously saved file without bleed. When I open the file then go to >document setup< I am able to add a 1" bleed, but the red bleed line doesn't appear around my artboards once I click ok. Then when I go back into >document setup< it shows that the bleed has been saved, but it is still not visible in the art files.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. LAUNCH ERROR ISSUE - Google Drive File Stream

Drive File Stream interfere with Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 on Windows 7 SP1 x64 bit.

After installing Google Drive File Stream I get lunch error during Adobe Illustrator CC 2018 (icui18n.dll) and program runs with limited functionality.

When uninstalling the google drive file stream everything works just fine.

I shared the same issue with the drive file stream, so i just hope that it will not end up pointing fault one on another. Both applications are important to workflow.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Launch  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Here is some good news. We users who have confirmed that the issue is resolved when you install the latest version of Google File Stream.
    Please update to Google Drive File Stream 26.1.37.2022 or later

Thank you Martin for validating the fix.

10. Type On Path bug with OpenType-SVG fonts

• Apply a text to a curved path.
    • Apply a color font like Trajan to the curved text. This results in incorrect glyph rotation.
    • The rotation issue is no visible with CFF glyphs.
    6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Carcoal feather Stroke instead of basic

Ai CC 2017, 2018; I was trying to create a circle with clean basic stroke style instead it keeps appearing as a charcoal feather stroke. I was working on Surface pro 4 while converting an image to vector. This doesn't happen on Pc or Mac.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Can't work on a server - crashing and not saving files

I recently updated my OS to High Sierra V. 10.13.3 and have Illustrator CC18 22.0.1. I work on a server and at first, every time I tried to resave a file for the second time it would crash. Now all of a sudden I am able to save once and when I try to save the second time it says it can't and I have to save the file with a new name. It also keeps making .tmp files. If I work off of my server on my desktop this does not happen.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Uninstalling Duet Display fixes Premiere and Illustrator crash on file open and file create

I spent an hour trying to get Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Premiere to simply open a file or create a new file. They would both crash immediately with the dialogue box that sends a crash report.

I uninstalled without saving settings and reinstalled both. I also ran the Adobe CC Cleaner tool These made no difference.

Finally, on a hunch I uninstalled Duet Display, a program that allows you to use an iOS device as a second monitor. This fixed the issue.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. GPU bold fat offset artwork

I have no idea how to properly name that bug, but here're images.
    This bug, once happened in document, stays at various zoom levels, after switching mode to CPU and back several times, stays after document closed/opened. Even after relaunching AI (he threw an error message also), bug stays!

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Selection tool not working with Text

Intermittently, the selection tool isn't working with my text. For area type, the bounding box will disappear (and "show bounding box" is enabled). When it re-appears, often there is a lag between when I move the text and when the bounding box follows it. If there is no lag, it is not uncommon for the bounding box not to move at all.

OR my selection tool will (on area type) act only like a direct selection tool. And the transformation controls on each side of a rectangle of the type box will disappear. All I can do is use the…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi All,

Thanks for reporting this issue.
    We are getting response from users that they are facing this issue no more on Latest Illustrator released version .Hence marking this issue as resolved.

In case you are still encountering this issue.
    Kindly provide some video and Test file(Via File→Package) with some steps with which you are facing issue and share with us in a zip file at sharewithai@adobe.com .Please mention the title of this issue as the subject of the mail.

Regards,
    Ankit Goyal
    Illustrator Team

16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Align and Transform Not Working

Not sure if I can articulate it properly, but here we go:

By example: I'm working with a logo and each time I drag a guide down to flush against the top of the logo, it goes just past it or just above it. It won't let me place the guide directly on top. Another example, when moving items around with arrow keys or trackpad, items won't automatically center or align with whatever I'm trying to align it to. It's like if I have an item on the X axis at 12.23 and want to align item two with it,…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Snapping  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As noted in comments the problem is most probably in the enabled Align Art to Pixel Grid option, in the right top corner. The grid is disabled, but the snapping occurs. There are some changes planned to streamline this workflow, because this is very generic problem.

18. Syncing font from Typekit never works

When opening a file that I have used Typekit fonts in, the missing fonts dialog box tells me they are missing, but are available to sync from Typekit.
    I have tried the following to restore my fonts

1. Press "Sync" from the missing font dialog box inside illustrator. (this does nothing. it loads forever and never updates my fonts)
    2. Open typekit in browser, unsync and re-sync all fonts.
    3. Close file. Open typekit in browser, unsync and re-sync all fonts. Re-open file.
    4. Quit Illustrator. Open typekit in browser, unsync and re-sync all fonts. Launch Illustrator. Open file.

NOTHING works.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you all of you who had contacted us. Here is the solution

Kindly try the troubleshooting Steps mentioned on Link: https://helpx.adobe.com/typekit/kb/troubleshoot-font-syncing.html .
    If above mentioned link does not resolve your problem Kindly collect the logs as mentioned in the e link and get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

NOTE: For Myraid pro refer to the link: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1638311

19. Illustrator makes mouse curser go slow (not a lagging issue)

Lets start by saying that Illustrator isn't lagging, It's just the mouse curser that goes slow when on the canvas.

I use an extra monitor connected to my Macbook macOS Sierra pro 10.12.4 (16E195)

I have noticed this a few times when using illustrator. It does not happen to any other program, Photoshop, sketch, Chrome etc.

This might be worth investigating as it is slightly irritating

Illustrator version 22.0.0

Cheers

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)