Subtracted shapes get drawn with a skewed artifact covering them at the top
This is an odd issue that is kind of hard to explain.
Whenever I am using the Minus Front tool on some objects, the appearance doesn't end up quite right. For example, I subtracted these outlined text characters from a black background. The blue outlines show that they were subtracted correctly, but the white background showing through is cut off in the wrong spots?
-
Adobe%20Illustrator%20Bug%20-%20clipping%20issue.ai 1629 KB -
Adobe-Illustrator-Bug_Clipped-Shapes.png 740 KB -
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 12.04.25 PM.png 151 KB -
Luminoso with Black Currants 750ml 2021 - PRINT.ai 1729 KB -
unnamed.png 23 KB -
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 11.53.01 AM.png 149 KB -
Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 11.53.20 AM.png 59 KB -
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 12.31.36 PM.png 68 KB -
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 12.31.31 PM.png 105 KB -
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 12.31.17 PM.png 84 KB -
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 1.49.28 PM.jpg 14 KB -
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 1.49.16 PM.jpg 16 KB -
Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 12.24.43 PM.png 29 KB -
p merge.ai 907 KB
Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience. Please get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.
Thanks & Regards,
Raghuveer Singh
-
Rob
commented
Subtracting outlined text from a background shape results in an odd "mask"
When attempting to using the Minus Front or Minus Back pathfinder options to remove outlined Black or Extra Bold fonts, the resulting graphic has an odd, angled "mask" that clips the top of the letter shape cut-outs.
Steps taken when bug is discovered:
1. Write out the text "THRIFT STORE AND DONATIONS" in a black or extra bold font weight.
2. Convert text to outlines.
3. Place outlined text on top of a simple rectangle drawn using the rectangle tool.
4. Select both the outlined text and the rectangle.
5. Using the pathfinder, select the "minus front" tool.Result: The text shapes are successfully removed from the rectangle BUT there is an unwanted, angled clipping "mask" across the top of many of the letter shapes. This isn't just an on-screen anomaly. I tested printing the layout and it's visible in print as well. Tested using the fonts Arial Black, Archivo Black, Poppins Extra Bold and several others - all with the same clipped effect.
Ai file attached to demonstrate (zoom in to see the issue clearly).
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro, build 26200.9457
Illustrator version: Tested on 30.7 and 30.8 with same outcome -
Michelle
commented
Ugh, thank you @Egor. The file is odd... I have to separate the art for printing on a metallic substrate with a white underprint in some areas to allow some areas to have the metallic show through and some block the metallic substrate. The blue actually = white. It's pretty confusing but how the printer requires it. Glad to know that the end result / overprint preview shows it accurately... I did not think to check that. Thank you for your response.
-
Michelle, this is a weird file. It has a black background underneath, and cut holes in blue rectangles. Maybe your process requires it though.
But the problem is just a GPU rendering one, I see it. If you disable GPU (or just set Overprint Preview mode, which you definitely should when preparing anything for printing), it will vanish.
Still needs fixing!
-
Michelle
commented
This has been happening to me repeatedly for months during different applications of using the pathfinder tool. Usually with using the exclude option. A part of a shape – in the attached case, outlined letters – will be partially filled even though the path shows that they are not filled. It also doesn't seem to matter if I subtract the shapes using the Shape Builder tool or the Pathfinder. I still end up with color filling areas that should be subtracted and the path shows that they are subtracted. This is a process I use for separating files for printing and it is extremely problematic. When I save the file as a PDF, the issue disappears however some printers prefer for an AI file to be supplied and I don't know how it will end up looking on their end.
I have had similar issues with outlined shapes and fonts without using the Pathfinder or Shape Builder tool. Upon being very zoomed in and seeing a fill not inside of a path, like slightly outside of the path or with gaps on the path.
I expect fills to be inside their path whether I'm zoomed in or not. I need exactness in my vector files.
Illustrator 2021 version: 25.2.1
MacOS Big Sur version 11.2.3 -
Danielle, it looks like GPU Preview issue. Try to change the mode: View > Preview on CPU and see if there's any difference. In any way, please send the file that has this text to the sharewithai@adobe.com fort hte team to investigate.
-
Danielle
commented
I'm trying to block out this outlined text from this green rectangle, however, it is producing a very weird and seemingly glitchy result. Here are my steps:
1) Select both shapes (The white shape appears to have a thicker selection outline? Not sure why that is..)
2) Choose Pathfinder > Minus Front.
3) The final result view cuts off the top of the 'M' and 'R', but the anchor points show a normal effect.
Any thoughts?
-
anya
commented
I am having the same problem!! Did you figure out how to fix it?!
-
Is GPU preview on? It sometimes leaves artifacts like this one you show. Try to switch to CPU and check again.
-
Shane Hunt
commented
Sometimes a portion of my shape will look cut off. There is no vector information generating is, it just renders it that way for some reason. Examples attached:
-
kajsidog
commented
Came across a weird file/result that co-workers were able to replicate.
1) Mojave 10.14.1 and Illustrator 23.0.1
2) Selecting two shapes/pathfinder window/unite
3) Letter p remaining knocked out
4) Letter p featuring a slash across the top
5) I've attached the file before uniting with pathfinderI was able to workaround by simply not uniting but thought ya'll might be interested. Thanks!