1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

4357 results found

1. Extended Tools Panel

Less frequently used tools (in my case: Scissors, Paint Bucket) are hard to find in the standard Tools Palette. Wouldn't it be great when Illustrator had a preset to show all tools at a glance (on my 30" screen...)?

I know that it is possible to create custom tools panels - but especially when creating those, it's nice to have a view on all tools at once!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Reflect Single Characters within the Character Panel

The ability to reflect a single character as live text within the character panel. Similar to the rotate feature already available.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Show image output dimensions before exporting

Under File > Export > Export for Screens and > Export As, it would be great to be able to know what the output dimensions will be when selecting 150dpi, 300dpi or a custom resolution.

Often I will need to export images from various source to specific JPEG or PNG dimensions. This will save the step of exporting, checking the dimensions of the output file, then adjusting the output resolution or resizing in Photoshop.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 16 bit mode for Illustrator

When creating Illustrations with gradients, we can only use 8bits. When imported in Photoshop or After Effects 16bits projects, the gradients stick to this poor 8bits - resulting in banding.

Especially when working on normal/displacement maps for 3d materials, 8bits is not enough.

How great would it be if Illustrator had a possibility to switch to 16 or 32 bit mode!

67 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Start drawing (onPenDown) Event option like Photoshop.

Having an option of drawing with the brush, pencil or blob tool on a (PenDown) Event, like in photoshop. Currently a dot or line, only appears on a penUp or penMove. thus it seems like there is a delay when drawing small shading or detailing lines quickly.
    Any delay for artists can be annoying.

It would great if Ai had that normal event of traditional drawing on paper. mouseUp and mouseMove is ok for a mouse, but a penDown is needed - i think.

If there is such an option, let me know. I cant seem to find it, or…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Blob brush in touch mode

I work with a Wacom mobilestudiopro and I really like the touch mode but the blob brush is not accessible in this mode. It will be really helpful if you can add this brush. Thanks a lot

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. "Divide objects below" with a group

"Divide objects below" (what I call "cookie cutting") with multiple objects that are from a group, all at once . If I want to cut a pattern (let's say, giraffe spots) out of a shape located below, I should be able to divide the object without having to do it for each individual spot. If the spots are already grouped together to form a pattern, that pattern should be able to divide all at once.

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Illustrator Reader / Viewer program

I would love to see an Illustrator reader like Acrobat has an editor program and a reader program.

The acrobat reader has the ability to edit text and fill in forms. It would be great to have a similar reader program for Illustrator that could edit text in a design so that a customer who doesn't have illustrator could still edit just the text if the designer wants to give them this option. It should have the ability to change text whilst keeping the text design (with shadows, colours, font type etc).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Full stroke style capabilities in touch workspace

The stroke currently only lets you adjust the size of it, you should also be able to control the style of that stroke, whether you want it to be dashed or the shape of it in the touch workspace.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. "Effects" in menu when right clicking a selected object similar to InDesign.

In InDesign I can select an object and then right click on a PC and the menu that appears shows shows "effects." Illustrator should do that as well.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Merge text broken up when imported from a PDF

I often have to import PDFs into Illustrator always have words and sentences that are no longer part of the same segment. Example. I just imported 24-inch. Each letter, number, and symbol came in individually. Instead of retyping it so I can make edits, it would be nice if there was an option that merged the text back into one line. Screenshot will show what I mean.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 'Expand' generates excess groups, clipping groups, compound paths and other unwanted vector garbage. Keep it simple!

Try expanding a brush or a 3D shape and take a look at the large pile of unwanted groups, compound paths and clipping masks Illustrator has generated for you. It just adds complexity to the file and makes the object appearance tricky to work with. See example ai file attached.
    If you have Astute Graphic’s Vector First Aid plugin you can remove all that stuff and see just how simple and usable your vectors can be (I recommend it), Wouldn’t it be better if Illustrator didn’t generate junk in the first place?
    Please make sure Illustrator only generates the barest…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. calque non imprimable

Dans la version cc 2018, un calque non imprimable n'est plus différencié des autres par son non en italique, c'est très gênant et source d'erreur !
    IL serait bien de revenir sur ce petit détail, de grande importance dans les métiers du print. Par avance merci

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Print  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. libCC remain path aspect vs PDF like

When incorporating an object from a library, (but the same behavior occurs if the file is placed) the Object lose all the appeareance and is imported as expanded wth some "clipping path added"

however, the Appearance information is still in the file because if you ask to edit the original all is fine.

Could it be possible to add a preference in the "embed" menu to ask if you embed as "Pdf" or as "AICB" the same dialog you can have in Saving Clipboard Prefs ?

This could be really valuable.

Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Yogesh Sharma responded

Hi Jean-Michel,

Press the Option key while dropping graphics from CC Library to artboard in Illustrator to bring the ‘original’ AI content. This will directly embed the graphic. Without the Option key it places the graphic, and all AI files get placed as PDF, hence the issues.

Does the Option key work for you?

Thanks,
    Yogesh

15. Loaded eyedropper just like in InDesign

I wish the eye dropper behaved more like it does in InDesign: If you pick up a type style, you "keep" that style and can apply it to several different text boxes. so if you have a text box with 4 subheads and body copy after each and you want to change all of the subheads to match the first one that you've changed, you could click on the desired style, and then click-drag over each of the subheads carrying the same style to each

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Convert to Type On A Path

The option to convert point or area type to 'type on a path' would be helpful. Also to be able to use the pen tool to add points on a 'point type path' and by doing so converting it to 'type on a path'. This removes the need to draw the path then add the type.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. stop Live corners assumptions

When drawing with the curvature, I haven't tested with regular pen, if you draw a mix of corners and somewhat curved surfaces, then you go back to add some nice radiused corners, you will likely be annoyed by illustrator Thinking that you intended to draw a giant chamfer.

No, I didn't draw a large chamfer. Do not assume I drew a large chamfer. Assuming a radius when illustrator sees a tangent arc connecting two lines is Great. But with chamfer there's nothing to be tangent to. So just because I drew two sharp corners in a row, before two curved…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Yogesh Sharma responded

This should not be happening. Seems like a bug. The corner should not become a chamfer unless you do an Option-click on the live corner widget. Could you please share more details on when this happens?

Thanks,
    Yogesh

18. Top Tab Ordering

Is there a way to order the tabs at the top when multiple files are open?
    It is a real pain to reorder the tabs at the top, so that you can sequence through the pages in order of file name / date etc.
    It seems silly to have the top tabs, but not be able to have them automatically order themselves...
    (unless there is a way already)

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Brushes: anomalous effects

Illustrator 2018 22.0.1

Steps taken: Applying a pattern brush to a stroke, and adding an extra stroke around that in the appearance panel.

Expected result: The stroke should only apply to the visible outline of the brush (see image), and no weird visual anomalies.

Actual result: The stroke applies to both the brush as expected, but also to the original path (which should be invisible). There are also some anomalous gaps between the component parts of the brush, which should not be there.

Furthermore, if you expand the brush you get a group containing the brush sub-paths (totally fine), but…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Need More Info  ·  9 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Unable to Resize Tool Panels (vertical axis)

Cannot 'grab' the bottom edge of a panel in the right column to move up or down. Panel size seems 'locked.' This causes lots of wasted space in the right column tool set UI. This problem exists in both the Essentials workspace and the Essentials Classic. This was not an issue in previous versions of Ai. Thanks for addressing this bug!

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base