Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

543 results found

1. More Export options

It would be awesome if the export formats had a couple more custom/individual settings like:

• Active (checkbox)
    • Subfolder Name
    • Prefix (like the Suffix) and maybe a couple more under a setting panel for the one format like Lowercase etc :)
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Sticky swatches, patterns, gradients, brushes and symbols.

I get so very tired of having to re-create what I've made or added earlier, or find the original file that contains things I've created earlier. It's starting from zero every time I open a new file.

It would be so nice to have things I added to panels be there for the next file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are several options to make resources sticky.

1. Save your swatches/brushes/etc. library as user defined one on a disk, using the dedicated panel’s menu. Open each then from same menu in User Defined sub-folder. When the separate palette appears, mark is as Persistent in this panel’s menu, This will make these palettes stick after Illustrator relaunches.

2. You can locate document profiles (Print.ai, Web.ai, etc.) on your machine (in New Document Profiles folder), edit their predefined presets, and resave them. This will make every new document based on these profile to have your resources.

3. Save a current document with the resources as a template, and later call them File > New from template. This will fixate the artboards settings though, unlike method 2.

But be careful with methods, because Ai can reset document profiles when updates.

3. Reduce / Extend path effect

Like in After Effects, it would be very useful to have an effect or an option in the Stroke panel like the "reduce path" animation option to draw more complex strokes (instead of duplicate them), like in the RubberHose plug-in. Could be useful to draw characters or set up files to export to AE.
    Thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Adobe Stock info available in-app

It would be really helpful to have access in-app to complete information for Adobe Stock Assets, especially the content creator, so that I can credit the image properly in my work. Perhaps a re-tool of the info available in the Libraries panel would be the best way, or even an "i" icon over the image next to the purchase icon?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. [Script HELP] Import file to artboards and flatten transparency

Hi, I'm looking for a script that can IMPORT files (AI, PDF, EPS) by inserting these files, or multipage PDFs, onto multiple illustrator tables in a connected way.
    Then let me select eg. from table 1 to 5 (of 200) and apply a preset registered in the CONVERT TRANSPARENCY panel.

Can someone help me?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Lock or unlock Navigator View from General View. Two Separate Views

During my work I need to have two different views of my artboard or canvas. Now the Navigator panel and General view showing me the same view.

Adding an option that will allow to have two separate view can enhance my workflow. That can be achieved if we will have an option to lock or unlock Navigator View from General View.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is no need to use Navigator panel for this.

Just call Window > New Window, untab it (if you use tabs), resize and reposition it the way you like, and work within the main window — all the changes you make are going to be rendered in real time in the second one.

7. Option to permanently add a brush to every opened document

I often use very specific custom made brush in an Operation. Adding panel with library containing this brush does not help - I have to click on it in every document before starting the operation. Option to permanently add a brush to every opened document would be splendid. Or at least to incorporate that into Operation. (no, using paste in operation doesn't work)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Brushes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fit a symbol on multiple 3D objects at once

Would love that a symbol could fit on MULTIPLE objects at once, like here the bottom petal to have its symbol continue on the left one.

And I would love if I could, from the decals box, get a ctrl/right click option to duplicate one symbol. So far, I need to add it from the symbol panel again which will reset its position to the center of the object.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Scale strokes and effects, hotkey while dragging.

When using the scale tool, and clicking and dragging, there should be a hotkey that toggles 'scale strokes and effects'. It would be helpful to show this hotkey option as a tooltip that appears near the mouse cursor while dragging.

All too often I will have to undo, then go into the transform panel or the preferences to check or uncheck the box, then go back and scale the object again.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Need Better (and Less-Hidden) Accessibility Tagging Options

Please make it much easier to add accessible alt-text to InDesign documents. There should be an accessibility panel and pre-check to make it very easy for designers.

As it is now, it's too hidden: https://www.adobe.com/accessibility/products/indesign/alt-text.html

Posted in reference to my tweet, at the request of Adobe Support: https://twitter.com/exkclamation/status/1424788475698499585

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add a CLOSE ALL menu command

Adding a CLOSE ALL menu command, to mirror the one in Photoshop, would be very useful - complete with the "apply to all" check box which Photoshop offers. That way, I can easily close and save 5/10/15/20 open documents with two clicks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Rename Anchor Points

Say you want to apply the 3D (Classic) Rotate effect to a complex illustration but you have a rogue anchor point that causes this message: An unknown error occurred. Click MORE INFO and try some of the solutions to fix the issues.

It has taken me many hours to figure out that a single anchor point (that is neither part of a shape or a path) is the most-likely cause of this error message. I work very clean, but rogue anchor points happen occasionally and it's incredibly frustrating to find.

The solution is to search through all your objects and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Combine all Thumbnail Preview Options

There are multiple ways to remove thumbnail previews on the Layers, Appearance and Links palettes and these have to be set on every file.

As a huge drag on screen redraw performance, these should be a single option / button accessible without going into the prefs panel.

Perhaps with an opt-out tick box per palette to fine tune. For example: Users could have thumbs persist on the layers palette, while the others toggle on a button.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Kill switch

Would be great FOR ALL ADOBE PRODUCTS to create a kill switch at start-up. Don't know how many times I have launched AE when I meant to click on Illustrator, or really any product. Having a button to stop the software from launching after accidentally clicking on it would be great, locate the button on the start-up panel....

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 自動選択のウィンドウの許容値を最終使用した数値で固定してほしい。

自動選択のウィンドウの許容値を最後に使用した許容値で固定してほしい。現状は別ファイルを開くと20に戻ってしまう。

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The ability to set a line length, no matter what angle the line is on.

It would be great if there was a section in the transform panel where you could enter a length for a line (instead of setting a height and width for the bounding box).

This way it would not matter what angle the line was draw at, it could be set to a specific length.

I've currently been drawing a vertical line, setting a height and then rotating to the correct angle but it is very tedious!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Make the option 'Select and unlock objects on canvas' available for default!!

I love when this option was available in some version of Illustrator but magically disappear in one update, I thought that you discard this option, but if I wasn't here I never realize that I have to enable manually this option on the Preferences panel.

I was angry because it was available on InDesign but not in Illustrator, fortunately I research a little and found the response to one request like mine in this section.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Selection  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Radial interface (popup) for previewing ALL THE SWATCHES.... S I M U L T A N E O U S L Y.

If a user wants to preview ALL the swatches in the swatch library at once, the time and sequence of events to do so is extremely unnecessarily tedious.

"Preview all swatches" button -> BAM: radial view of all swatches on screen. (doesn't even have to be legible. text can be upside down. Maybe rotate it with the mouse wheel. Click one swatch set -> then Bam! That's the swatch docked to the panel. All the others dissapear. or "Unsummon the swatches" button.

"Smithers Release the hounds"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Graph to vector

I'm requesting a feature I'm calling Graph to Vector. The idea would be to use the data in a graph and use the AI capabilities to generate a vector based on that data.

For instance, if you had a graph representing how you spent your budget this past year with 5 different categories divided by percentages, you could take the colors used to represent the percentages and make a vector with those same colors in those same percentages. If 20% of the budget was represented by blue, then 20% of the vector could be blue.

It would be a totally…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Show Contentpreview in hidden layers

When you hide a layer, the contentpreview in the little square in the Layers Panel is hidden. Finding a specific layer is terrible when it’s hidden (you only see the layers name).

That makes absolutely no sense to me and has no benefit that I can think of, to the contrary.

Please make it at least an option, or just make the Layerpreview always visible. I can see that it’s hidden when I see the eye canceled on the right, no need for more indication that its hidden.

Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?