Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

483 results found

1. Make Redefine Graphic Style option better accessible, and from the Graphic Styles panel too

If Ai had a hotkey for this command (like this request is asking for: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/41254435), perhaps this one would be less painful.

Yes, I know, you edit an appearance in the Appearance panel, and then force this changes to update the original style, using the panel’s flyout menu... but

A. I often start looking the wrong panel, thinking 'I am updating a graphic style, so the relevant command should be in Graphic Styles' — and when I realize it’s a wrong assumption, it’s too late. For some reason this habit is hard to change!

B. Why…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Have a panel that shows info and keyboard modifiers for the current tool

All Adobe applications are quite complex beasts, and what all the tools do and particularly what holding different modifiers or keys do can be quite arcane.

I imagine a panel you can have open on the side, and it will show information and the modifier options for the currently active tool.

For instance for the Star tool, it can say what Shift, Option and Command keys do, and that you can press Arrow Up and Arrow Down to increase the number of points as you drag.

Pro users can keep the panel closed, but it can really help new users…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Please let the "X", "Y", "Width", "Height" input boxes in the "Properties Panel" auto adapt to the panel width

In this way, if the user wants these input boxes to completely display the values without being blocked, only need to widen the panel, and the input boxes will be widened accordingly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Command Palette / Panel / Bar

Sublime & Visual Code are text editors that are used to develop applications. One of the favorite functions is "Command Palette" which is activated with the Ctrl + Shift + P keys. This shows a text field at the top, from which almost any program command is invoked, as well as opening files and many other functions. One of the features is that it is not necessary to write the entire command, you can use only the first letters of two words and the results are listed. Visual Code is open source and you can surely study that functionality in…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Could there be a more logical place for show center and path direction than the Attributes panel

The Attributes panel seems like the junk drawer of panels. Wouldn't the show center check box seem more at home in the transform panel, and the path direction seem better suited for stroke or pathfinder panel. Just one less panel taking up space on the artboard.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Show HEX value in swatch panel

I often need to copy HEX values from illustrator swatches into other applications. My workflow would be accelerated if there was a text field showing the HEX value like in the color picker window.

Right now I need to apply the swatch to an object and copy the HEX value from the color picker window.

54 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Document Recovery Panel

Crash Recovery or document recovery is a life saver during unexpected crashes or Force quits of Illustrator sessions. However it becomes a nightmare, when it forces to recover documents from an old session and take ages to recover those document.

A simple panel similar to MS Office will be really helpful for me to make a choice of what i want to recover and what to throw away before working..

Its not always I need to use the old opened documents which I was not editing/ creating but just viewing as reference.

Also its not always I want to waste…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. To have an option in stroke panel to keep end points vertical/horizontal on angled strokes

Would love an option to easily have the endpoint of a stroke remain vertical/horizontal when using angled strokes. To 'shear' a stroke isn't easy, so could this be an option in the Stroke panel?

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Strokes  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Asset name focus after dragging asset to cc library panel

I create a lot of Creative Cloud library assets, usually by dragging vectors from my canvas directly onto the Libraries panel. I like to immediately name my assets, so it would be a huge time-saver if, once an asset had been successfully dragged, the "name" field got focus. As is, I need to mouse over to the panel and double-click to rename.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Properties Panel, values are not selected by clicking on the symbol in front of their field

If I click on a symbol in a panel for a property like W or H or X or Y the current value gets selected. This does not work in the Properties panel, nothing gets selected and I have to double click inside the property field to select it.
    It slows down and is not consistent with the way it has worked for years.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Improve Library Panel UX with prefered behaviour options

There are a number of small changes that would make getting things out of the library quicker and more convenient. The panel should have some preferences to set default behaviour. Options should include:

• Toggle 'place copy' or 'place linked file', so it always behaves one way or the other. The way my team and I use the library, we ALWAYS want to place copies (never linked files). So having to hold down ALT to do this is a pain. In addition to this, holding down ALT behaves very badly. It misses the key press if you move too quickly, meaning…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Close panel by a middle-click on its header

Middle-click today is a common gesture.
    In browsers and file managers with tabs it allows to close a current tab.
    There is a feature request to allows us to close tabs in Ai as well: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/38150188-add-middle-click-to-close-document

But I would also like to be able to close panel with a middle-click. Not collapse — this is what a left-click does — but just close the panel.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Asset name in Export panel = Symbol name

It would be a huge time saver for a symbol to be named in the assets panel after the name of the symbol instead of the name of the instance.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Scrollable tabs and more usable Layers panel

I would like if the Ai interface was less "cluttered" and "manual" to use.

Specifically, as in the case of having many tabs open than they fit in the viewport, I have to click on the double chevrons (>>) to only be able to open one file at a time. Rather, would you guys consider making it scrollable? Or have the Layers panel open like Adobe Xd (aids renaming and hiding/locking)?

As for a more "usable" Layers panel, I would appreciate if the panel could make it easier to name and select layers. For example, if I have an…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. New text alignment icons in the paragraph panel

I would suggest to add new text alignment icons in the Paragraph panel.

It would be useful to have the possibility to align text to the top, the center and the bottom of a text box.

See image to view icons example.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add dropdown with blending modes to transparency block in Properties panel

Please add a dropdown with blending mode to transparency properties panel. This will make it easier to see what transparency mode is applied to an object by just having it selected. It will also make it slightly quicker to change transparency modes on objects. See attached image for a mockup.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Workspace remembers panel size and collapsed state

I use Illustrator on my laptop screen and also when plugged into an external monitor.
    When switching between these screens I often have to adjust which panels are collapsed, and the size of each panel, particularly when going from the smaller laptop screen to the external monitor.

It would be very helpful if the workspace settings could remember not just which UI panels you have open, but their size and collapsed state. This way I could have a preference for when Illustrator is displaying on a 15" laptop and one for my 27" monitor.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. show swatch folders in recolor artwork panel

In the recolor artwork panel when you double click the color on the right to determine what the color is being changed to, you can choose from swatches by then clicking on swatches. But, it's just a list of all of the swatches with no indication of which swatch folder the swatches are in. This makes recoloring difficult at times

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Artboards panel showing how many artboards are there in total

Artboards panel showing how many artboards are there in total, simply have the artboards total in the bottom left hand corner, currently you have to scroll down or click goto end/last to see how many artboards.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Detailed Cloud Libraries history and version control

We need a way to see the edit history for items in a cloud library, including at a minimum when an asset was updated and who made the change... as well as the ability to restore a specific version.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base