Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests
When entering a new feature request, please provide:
- Description
- Why is this valuable to you?
- or
950 results found
-
Share for Review wish list
This function is long overdue and I am loving it. However, as someone who uses it multiple times a day, every day, I think there are a couple of things I think could make it better.
1. The ability to group files together in the same link.
I'm not a fan of "writing over" an existing file so that I can click on "update content". That is ok for small changes, but when the client is asking for significant updates/changes, I prefer to save a new file named "rev 1" or something similar. This then requires me to get a…5 votes -
Toolbar saving and reset. Workspace including keyboard shortcuts.
Nice that you can make your own toolbar. But why didn't you make it like in Photoshop? You can save it to a file, so it would be possible to reset if I make a mistake: then I just reload it. The interface of Photoshop is easier to understand. And when you're working on this: why can't I just reset the toolbar to what has been saved previously?
Also about the interface: nice that I can make my own keyboard shortcuts, but I would like to save that in my workspace, along with my tools and my panels.
9 votes -
improve the 'this file is currently being saved' pop up window
The way this was implemented is stupid.
That pop up window you get when you try to close the window while it's still saving.Why doesn't it automatically go away when the file has finished saving, instead of being persistent for no reason.
Just make it work the same way as indesign with just a cancel button.
3 votes -
Need to be able to design an imege of W 3000CM and 2500 H
As Illustrator work with Vector files. Vector graphics are computer graphics images that are defined in terms of 2D points. They can be scaled to a bigger size.
1 vote -
Print Presets should be in RGB or be easier to change to RGB
Most newer printers (Like the HP R530 or Epson Surecolor) handle colors better from files that are in RGB, not CMYK. Would love to have some presets in the "Print" tab be in RGB. Right now it's kind of a pain to change to RGB if you start with a print preset, because you get the warning about the color mode being different from the color space.
2 votes -
Better grid settings
Inkscape 1.1 has great grid management.
It's embedded with the document: because grid needs vary a lot from a document from another
It's accessible on the lateral panel, while on AI you need to enter the general settings; all while snapping is in the view menu (go figure...)
There a two types of grid.
You can set several grids.
On this lateral panel, and for each grid, you can easily define there enable , visible and snapping status. (no menu spelunking)
You can set the grid origin with coordinates or by alignment to the page (on AI if you modify…10 votes -
Please provide an option to not create compound paths with Pathfinder's crop/clipping function.
When objects completely overlap, recent versions of Illustrator now use compound paths. While this method is indeed superior in that it allows for non-destructive re-editing, I preferred the previous irreversible clipping even when objects completely overlapped. If you can't revert it back, could you at least add an irreversible option?
1 vote -
Export multiple artboards with 'Save for web'
It would be very useful and a huge time-saver to have the option to export multiple artboards with 'Save for web'. Currently you can only do 1 artboard at a time, and if you have a lot of artboards to export then it gets old real fast and takes up valuable time.
Auto-populating the file name would be amazing too. When you do a regular export, it exports the files with what you named each artboard. But when you do 'Save for Web', you have to enter the file name each time.
2 votes -
Jointures Multiples/Multiple Joins
Je souhaiterai pouvoir sélectionner de multiples points avec l'outil sélection directe et que la commande joindre (Commande -J) fasse la jointure pour tous les couples de points ayant même abscisse et même ordonnée.
Ce qui motive ma demande est que je récupère des fichiers générés par des sites web où chaque segment est isolé. C'est problématique soit pour ajouter un fond, soit pour avoir une découpe plus rapide et plus propre sur ma découpe laser. Avec des segments courts, le matériau n'a pas le temps de refroidir entre deux passes et fini par se consumer. Avec des tracés longs, la…4 votes -
We need, again, Custom Bevels in 3D-Extrude & Bevel, please!
Illustrator used to have the ability to create customer Bevel profiles ( in the Bevels.ai file in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 23/en_US/Symbols ). HOWEVER, the feature is now gone! Please give us the option to create custom Bevels, again! Thank you.
Last year, 2018, I created a object and gave it a 3D custom bevel, and now I can do nothing with that object. Whenever I try to do something with it Illustrator crashes. I couldn't figure out what was going on until I tried creating a custom Bevel again. There is no way to create a custom Bevel! When…
8 votes -
Create new documents with a 'Plus' button or a double-click in the document tabs area
Document Tabs is a well-known paradigm, thanks to browsers.
Since many of us spend a lot of time with browsers, we expect the same functionality form tabs’ headers in Illustrator.One of them is a middle-click to close a tab (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/38150188-add-middle-click-to-close-document), another is remember opened tabs on relaunch (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/44819065-launch-illustrator-with-the-same-opened-documents).
There are others.But the most prominent one is the Plus button to the right (in LTR world) of the last tab, which creates a new document.
Sure, one can hit Cmd/Ctrl+Alt+N, or go File > New, but sometimes we are lazy, and the other hand is…
10 votes -
Placeholder Spot Color Swatch Assigned in Illustrator Then Defined in InDesign (and other Adobe Apps - especially AE and Premier)
This would be a joint effort between AI and INDD. But being able to assign a spot color swatch placeholder to a graphic like any other spot swatch (with tint support) that can then be assigned via the links panel in InDesign.
Often I need to color coordinate graphics with a document I am building in InDesign. I typically do this by either generating multiple artboards or layers with the variations I need. But sometimes for one-off projects or projects where there may need to be many variations it just makes the AI file much more cumbersome to deal with.
…
2 votes -
Provide Stroke Cap Corner & Alignment control in Character Styles
I'm working in Illustrator CC 22.1 and I can't control the Caps, Corners or Alignment options of Strokes in the Character Styles Palette and I really need to. Is there a way to do this that I haven't figured out or has this issue been addressed in the most recent version? Thanks, Emily
1 vote -
There are a number of issues with Adobe Libraries - Recovery, Archive, Search
Library backups/Recovery - I have just had an issue of losing a library of over 200+ logos. Whether this was because of a glitch or human error isn’t clear. One thing that is clear is that there is currently no way of recovering libraries.
Archive old libraries - Also we have old libraries which we spent time creating for all of our clients. Half of these clients are no longer working with us, we need to keep their folders incase they re engage with us however they are cluttering up the menu.
Search function - The search function seems useless.…
3 votes -
Document Recovery Panel
Crash Recovery or document recovery is a life saver during unexpected crashes or Force quits of Illustrator sessions. However it becomes a nightmare, when it forces to recover documents from an old session and take ages to recover those document.
A simple panel similar to MS Office will be really helpful for me to make a choice of what i want to recover and what to throw away before working..
Its not always I need to use the old opened documents which I was not editing/ creating but just viewing as reference.
Also its not always I want to waste…
2 votes -
Auto back up does not work and it should. Everything is set correctly and I use Jing - however it's set as once an hour for a back up
File back up for crashes needs to work as per the settings. If it set to back up every 2 mins - then where are the files? They don't seem to exist - not like In Design where my last file is brought back.
1 vote -
Allow for "New from Template" to remember the last folder used
New from Template directs us to a dedicated folder that is buried deep inside of Ai’s bowels. It probably is handy for Ai to check it, but it’s now comfortable for us to access it to store the files within. Plus, different projects can have different templates, stored in their relative folders, and an option to make the last folder sticky can be helpful.
Original request by Junior Rocha
3 votes -
1x folder
Right now, even when I'm not exporting any of my artboards as retina, Illustrator INSISTS upon exporting all PNG files inside a new folder called "1x." This is annoying, stupid, and unhelpful. It makes it hard to find when I go looking for the exports, I'm looking for descriptively named .png files, not a completely innocuous folder named "1x" for no reason.
Please stop ******* with exports. Just make it work like it did last version. This is not an improvement.
1 vote -
Make it possible to actually open Cloud Docs....
The idea of cloud docs is wonderful, but the reality is intensely frustrating.
File created in the studio; a simple text logo. Retun home need to make a change. Impossible to open.
"Make file available offline" Done. Still impossible to open.
Identical version of Illustrator on both Macs. Multiple occurrences. It has happened in reverse too
Workaround > Store files on a disk. Transfer manually. (Not what Adobe want to hear!)
I should add that this a a regular problem on PS too, so a broader Creative Cloud, issue. Oh and the internet connection is Gigabit, so not a speed…
2 votes -
Cut-off of Effects like Drop Shadow etc
Working with Flexo plates, we need to cut-off vignettes at 3%, it would be great to have an 'Advanced' section on effects like Drop Shadow to cut off at a stated percentage. Currently have to work around by Expanding the effect, exporting an the image for Photoshop, using the Curves to cut-off of 3%, then relinking the image in Illustrator which also means having multiple files...
2 votes
- Don't see your idea?