Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

365 results found

1. "Masking" as a live effect

I think it would be very useful to have a Mask live effect, so that individual fills/strokes in the appearance panel could be masked. The actual mask could come from a specific layer/group in the current file, imported from a file on your HD, or from a new type of Mask library.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Would like to be able to entries in the Appearance Panel and perform Pathfinder functions to them. .

Example: Select 2 strokes in the appearance panel, one transformed some distance from the other, and apply the pathfinder Unite function (Fx) and have them become functionally one entry on one layer of the selected object.. This could eliminate some what are sometimes complicated procedures when outputting files to various RIP/machines/printers.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Select Artwork by Swatch

This is how it should work:

Select a Swatch in the Swatches palette, choose from the menu: ':Select all object that use this swatch' (as Fill / Stroke).

Comes in very handy to select items via the Swatches palette in complex cartoon style drawings. It is also a way to - kind of - create long awaited multi layer groups.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Poseable figures to aid drawing

Have a set of virtual human figures - either stick people or in the style of wooden artists’ figures - that can be manipulated into whatever pose you need, then turned into a template layer so you can draw your character over them. Thus helping with poses and dimensions. This would be extremely useful for users who are not trained illustrators.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Press Shift (for proportion) turn Arrow

When Pressing Shift (for proportion drawings or scaling) turn Arrow or Current used tool to Red (now in InDesign and others it's White for Snap to Page edge).
    In addition turn to other colors for other new thinkable functions (i.e Command + Shift = Green, etc) gives a user a reminder on screen to what he is using on keyboard. Could be the colour of the layer-color used or... I leave it to you guys :-)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Sort out functionality of library assets

Seems a lot of people are struggling with Library assets for various reasons. I think this feature is massively under developed for what should be a great strength across Adobe applications. I still have Illustrator V17 in use as the Library works better than the current version for me, so my subscription is wasted money. I've complained before but to no avail. I create many line drawings with common line segments, so I drag these in from the Library, which creates consistency and should be time saving. Currently each one option-dragged no longer remembers the layer it came from and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Illustrator to Mobile

Mobile - We need a way to be able to open ai.files (or different formats from illustrator) and edit them in a mobile app.

e.g.: Right now I will need to change the background of a design everyday. In Illustrator it's easy, all I need to do is change background color export and voila.

However, if I can't find a solution to edit the background layer (or rectangle on top of it) on mobile. . . Adobe draw doesn't allow me to open ai.files or edit layer by layer. Can't really find a solution.

I'm surprised that with such an…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Shortcut/button for the "Enter isolation mode"-function

After Illustrator changed the place where to put pasted objects (before the objects where put in the selected layer, now the objects are put in a new layer at the top), I use the "Enter Isolations mode"-function a lot, to get the pasted objects the right place. I know there is a button, but it doesn't always show. So I would really like a shortcut for this function. Or make a button in the properties panel. Or both. Please.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Isolation  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Disabling 'Paste Remembers Layers' in the Layers panel’s flyout menu solved the problem with pasting in place into a selected layer, therefore a specialized hotkey to the layer isolation is no longer required for the user.

If you still need this hotkey — please comment.

9. copy and paste at pre selected place in group shape hierarchy

When did this change… I am 100% sure in the past when trying to paste a shape within the layered structure of a grouped set of objects, ….prior to pasting you could (A) Direct select, or maybe even double-click isolate a place in that layered grouping of shapes to specify where you want your newly pasted shape to go. Before I could, copy - hit (A) direct select an object, and then when I hit CTRL-F or V… the pasted object/shape would sit on top of previously selected shape in that layered hierarchy. Now, there’s no recognition.. or option to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Neon glow effect in illustrator should be simple, we should be able to do in single click like that we do in canva

can we use scripting
    // Suppress the warning dialog that appears when running external scripts
    app.preferences.setBooleanPreference("ShowExternalJSXWarning", false);

// Select the first layer
    var myLayer = app.activeDocument.layers[0];

// Create a new offset path effect
    var myOffsetEffect = myLayer.effects.add(EffectKind.OFFSET_PATH);

// Set the offset distance and angle
    myOffsetEffect.property(1).setValue(10); // distance
    myOffsetEffect.property(2).setValue(0); // angle

// Create a new Gaussian Blur effect
    var myBlurEffect = myLayer.effects.add(EffectKind.GAUSSIAN_BLUR);

// Set the blur radius
    myBlurEffect.property(1).setValue(10); // radius

// Set the blending mode to Screen
    myLayer.blendingMode = BlendMode.SCREEN;

// Set the opacity to 50%
    myLayer.opacity = 50;

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. please add object selection tool like photoshop

The features I am looking for
    *subject tracing like Photoshop and masking like Photoshop and bring it to illustrator.
    *add more brush tools like Photoshop
    add tools and layer finder like photoshop

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Automatically move to input box when selecting a transform option

This would improve workflow by allowing users to not have to click on the input box when transforming a layer. It actually used to be a feature but was removed for reasons I'm not aware of.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Illustrator Panel keeps resizing its width when changing to another tabbed panel.

Illustrator Panel keeps resizing its width when changing to another tabbed panel, unlike in Photoshop. Can't you make this stop? It's been around for years. Very irritating. I usually don't put any panels underneath my Layer Panel so there is nothing there to keep it from resizing. Why do we have to put up with this? Photoshop interface is more relaxing. Why can't it be the same for Illustrator?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Select multiple bulllets

Used to be able to select multiple bullets by (I think it was) shift/opt/dragging on the multiple bullets. This isn't available int 22.1 version. Actually, it hasn't been for awhile. Can't understand ditching this. For drawing complex objects with multiple similar strokes (say for instance, the hairs on a dog) one can't "select same". Also difficult to select the whole layer, and then unselect. Please, please, please! Bring back this feature! WHY would you disable it anyhow???

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Speed up Redraw with All Thumbnail Options on One Button

Switching off thumbnails for improved draw speed means switching various options and locations to get the layer, object and transparency thumbs all switched off. Working many customer files per day this is a drag.

Please put them all on one "thumbs" radio button with options for all-on, all-off, or custom preference, so I can get my work done faster.

Make this an application preference rather than document preference to save me even more time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Edit overlapped objects

Some times when you use illustrator to edit PDF obtained from Cad programs, you get overlapped lines. It will be a good idea to have some filters to edit overlapped elements.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Live preview of paths while editing

I would expect that the shape or a path while transforming would be rendered in a way as it will look at the end of my editing. Now, when i move handles or points / transform the object, the original shape stays the same and changes shows only as a line in the color of the layer. I understand, that for precision-transformation it's beter to see just the thin line (smart guides, snapping etc.), but while reshaping curves it would be great to see the final shape in real time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Edit multiple identical objects real-time

Hello!
    Would be cool to have a feature where for example when editing 2 identical objects, you can convert one object into main object and other into "mirrored" one through layer system/window and then mirrored one will show same changes real-time whenever I'm editing the main one. Afterwards when turning off the feature, all the "mirrored" ones turn into seperate objects (as if rasterized).
    This would be a game changer when I'm editing text that is turned into object and I want same edits to be applied to all other identical letters.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Seamless pattern creation

Once you have an illustration completed, you can double, triple, etc, the image you created as they automatically line up in columns once you decide to double (for a seamless pattern) the illustration, image, or 3D assets. Once you start to manually place the duplicated layer you pull the asset to one side of the art board. You want the pattern to have 1/4th of the image going off the art board. The 1/4th section that is going off of the art board (.let’s say on the right side for this example) automatically (almost magically) has the missing section hanging…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Preserve the transparency (opacity %) when a file is exported.

If I want to create overlays (think of Instagram filters), I want to be able to preserve the opacity %. So that I can take this overlay and place it over other images.
    The way it works currently is if I export the object and place it on another image, all the transparency is lost and the object is set to 100% opacity.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base