Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

433 results found

1. "Masking" as a live effect

I think it would be very useful to have a Mask live effect, so that individual fills/strokes in the appearance panel could be masked. The actual mask could come from a specific layer/group in the current file, imported from a file on your HD, or from a new type of Mask library.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Poseable figures to aid drawing

Have a set of virtual human figures - either stick people or in the style of wooden artists’ figures - that can be manipulated into whatever pose you need, then turned into a template layer so you can draw your character over them. Thus helping with poses and dimensions. This would be extremely useful for users who are not trained illustrators.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Select Artwork by Swatch

This is how it should work:

Select a Swatch in the Swatches palette, choose from the menu: ':Select all object that use this swatch' (as Fill / Stroke).

Comes in very handy to select items via the Swatches palette in complex cartoon style drawings. It is also a way to - kind of - create long awaited multi layer groups.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. wrap art for artboards to create seamless art tile textures

the same way in photoshop one can simulate art wrap with the image offset filter

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Press Shift (for proportion) turn Arrow

When Pressing Shift (for proportion drawings or scaling) turn Arrow or Current used tool to Red (now in InDesign and others it's White for Snap to Page edge).
    In addition turn to other colors for other new thinkable functions (i.e Command + Shift = Green, etc) gives a user a reminder on screen to what he is using on keyboard. Could be the colour of the layer-color used or... I leave it to you guys :-)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Transformations with constrained randomizations

Randomize transformations but constrain them to multiples of set increments, eg 45°, 20° or 2mm, 10mm. Randomize colors. Apply transform to a percentage of objects (or a random percentage). Apply random to each transform individually, eg, rotate, move, not globally as now.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Sort out functionality of library assets

Seems a lot of people are struggling with Library assets for various reasons. I think this feature is massively under developed for what should be a great strength across Adobe applications. I still have Illustrator V17 in use as the Library works better than the current version for me, so my subscription is wasted money. I've complained before but to no avail. I create many line drawings with common line segments, so I drag these in from the Library, which creates consistency and should be time saving. Currently each one option-dragged no longer remembers the layer it came from and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Export revisions only

When making minor updates to an existing presentation or pdf, option to "Export Revisions Only" to an existing file name or pdf - similar to Adobe Acrobat's new feature to detect changes between similar documents, this feature allows you export/update only the pages with revisions into an existing .pdf file. This saves a lot of export time when a client asks for several small revisions to a 10-20+ page presentation or document.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Make Smooth command to have the persist/sticky option

I like the new Smooth command and I'm using it frequently enough that it would be nice to have a persist/sticky option for it instead of repeatedly going back to the Object menu.

Also, I find that smoothing of 20% works well for a lot of shapes I'm editing but could the bar be enhanced with a few click-to bars to speed up this process (see attached). Maybe include this for the Simplify command as well.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Option to assign chosen profile selection to all open documents in Missing Profile box

When opening a project, I frequently have to choose either not to colour manage or I have to assign a particular profile to the document due to working with a number of different print houses. As I can sometimes open 10-20 documents at a time to edit them, would it be possible to assign the designated choice to all open documents at the same time, i.e., have a selection box you can tick to 'Apply selected profile option to all open projects'?

Currently it is really laborious choosing the profile for each individual file as it opens.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Can you focus updates to really work? Please do proper testing. I'm tired of contacting customer service very month

I contact customer service at least once a month, and before, when i got the program without online creative suite i never had to contact anyone, it worked amazingly, and now.. literally every update is a nightmare.. please stop doing updates for the sake of doing updates, take the monthly money but make something that we can rely on. not a program that makes my life harder... now i can't open files i used 20 days ago because a plug in, Ai 2019 and 2020 not compatible? Please// this is ridic

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Exchange entire Illustrator Team!

Two decades of leading customers around with this (still) child [Illustrator] is enough. Just lay down your work dear current Illustrator Team! You won't get anywhere, and let new people start over. It is 20 Years now since I've started with Illustrator (post Macromedia (RIP) Freehand) and it still sucks so hard. Unbelievable that Shantanu Narayen (Adobe CEO) does not seeing this. Wasted companies money and nerves of millions of users. Get a life.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. copy and paste at pre selected place in group shape hierarchy

When did this change… I am 100% sure in the past when trying to paste a shape within the layered structure of a grouped set of objects, ….prior to pasting you could (A) Direct select, or maybe even double-click isolate a place in that layered grouping of shapes to specify where you want your newly pasted shape to go. Before I could, copy - hit (A) direct select an object, and then when I hit CTRL-F or V… the pasted object/shape would sit on top of previously selected shape in that layered hierarchy. Now, there’s no recognition.. or option to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. File Save Options - Recovery data location

I'm running the latest version of Illustrator (26.2.1 as I'm writing this) but my data recovery preferences are somehow stuck at the location for Illustrator 20 and the application warns me every time that it can't save recovery data for the current document. I can change this, I know, but that still just keeps it then stuck at the location for version 26, and will presumably break again when version 27 is released.
    What I need is some way to restore the default behaviour which would (presumably) automatically update to the correct relative location for the current application version.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Different number of copies for each artboard

Hi,

I've a document in Illustrator with a lot of pages (artboards).

I must print a specific number of copies for each page.

Example: for the page number one I must print 20 copies, for the page two I must print 60 copies, ecc

Is there a way to forward this request with one command or I must select one by one page?

I've found this trick but is very complicated if I've a lot of pages to print: in the label of range of artboards I write : 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,4,5,5,5,5,5,ecc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. STOP changing the behavior of the tools!

I have used AI for over 20 years -- I've even been featured in books!! Why the F is the team changing the behavior of tools. IT AINT BROKEN and you're making it worse.

Just in the last 5 minutes I've found that I can no longer rotate a text box and have the text rotate, as well. Now the text stays put and the box rotates. WHY?

Also, when I save a new document (with it set to AI editable pdf) it's saving some other copy and the document that's currently open is still unsaved and untitled. How is…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Recently Added Items

Hi. My name is Reza Alavi, Design Manager in XBOX design studio Microsoft. We use Adobe Illustrator as our base software for illustration and we recently started using the cloud library which is really great. However we have a suggestion to add a feature that might help us a lot. It would be awesome to have a view of libraries of "recently added items"

Right now there is a filter for "date modified" but it's not clear what items were added/modified, just a resorting of the library lists.

This would help us to know what new items are added recently…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ability to see the size of elements in terms of KB/MB to easily find cause of file bloat

When trying to strip down a file, it would be really useful to be able to see which effects in particular are bloating the file. For example - I had a file with a load of boxes with a glow effect applied to them. I thought I had undone all of this but the size of the file was still over 40mb. I had to dig through all the boxes again in the appearence panel to see that there were two instances of a rasterize effect that i'd missed. when i deleted those the file size went down by over…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. please add object selection tool like photoshop

The features I am looking for
    *subject tracing like Photoshop and masking like Photoshop and bring it to illustrator.
    *add more brush tools like Photoshop
    add tools and layer finder like photoshop

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Complaint

Illustrator 2019 23.0.1. sucks. I have been using adobe tools for over 20 years and this is the worst update you have ever released. Not only does it take forever to open any app including InDesign, PS, ILL and acrobat, but then it constantly freezes. I can't get any work done. You keep raising the price of the subscription, but your updates cost me more in time troubleshooting than anything else. The very basic grouping and selecting a group doesn't work in the new illustrator, I am using the most up to date OS on a 2 year old iMac.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base