Variable Font not working properly
Hello, I am a type designer and am working on a variable script font. The variable font file work fine everywhere else except in Adobe products.
It appears the sidebearings aren't adjusting with the changes in width. Very odd. You can see whats happening in the first file. The second is on the Axis Praxis website.
I've spoken with Glyphs App developers and they said it's a glitch with Illustrator, so I wanted to bring it to your attention.
I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
Please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html . Please give a reference to this post so that we can identify you.
Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your fonts and file to figure out what is going on here.
Kimmy Design commented
Hi Ankit, thank you for getting back to me in such a timely manner. Seeing as my original post is nearly two and a half years old and we are now on different versions of Illustrator, I'm not sure I will be able to replicate this exact issue for you.
I think a more important thing to fix is your response time to program bugs. Every time I update all of the apps, more things are buggy. There is hardly ever a resolution. For programs that we pay a lot of money for and depend on for our livelihood, I think Adobe should invest more in expanding your team and helping with issues and bugs in a timely manner that is actually beneficial to its customers.
Elron B commented
I'm a type designer as well, I design them in FontCreator and FontLab7, in both there is no problem.
When I tried to export my fonts from both softwares and test them in Illustrator, the problem still persists.
Seems like this is a problem in adobe implementation of variable fonts.
I've attached a GIF to demonstrate the problem.
Please fix this soon,
Alex Tomlinson commented
I'm a type designer having the same issue! For me the kerning is not interpolating between masters. Every master uses the kerning data for an ultra-wide version, resulting in unsightly things like this. (On web vs. on Illustrator)