Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

866 results found

1. Untie the Transform Patterns checkbox in General Options and Transform Effect dialog.

Sometimes (actually pretty often) it is necessary to alter a pattern size for one single object. So you go to Appearance -> Fill -> Effects -> Distort and Transform -> Transform and there you have checkboxes to chose whether to transform object or pattern or both and that is great.
    But once you have done this (for one single object) this setting changes the general Option under Preferences->General and this setting affects the entire app, not this file only and you must change it back each time. And that is not that great.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Fix annoying save bug after adjusting UI preferences

I just encountered an annoying save bug that caused me to lose 90 minutes of work in Illustrator. Here is the sequence of events:

•  I opened an existing document in AI, with the intention of changing it and saving as something else.

• I opened preferences and made a minor UI adjustment (tweaked the size of my tool bar).

• Dialog #1 stated that changes will not occur until you restart AI. Would you like to restart? Yes/No.

• I selected YES (without thinking), under the assumption that I would be given the option to 'save as.'

• Dialog #2…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Option to assign chosen profile selection to all open documents in Missing Profile box

When opening a project, I frequently have to choose either not to colour manage or I have to assign a particular profile to the document due to working with a number of different print houses. As I can sometimes open 10-20 documents at a time to edit them, would it be possible to assign the designated choice to all open documents at the same time, i.e., have a selection box you can tick to 'Apply selected profile option to all open projects'?

Currently it is really laborious choosing the profile for each individual file as it opens.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Editable path smoothing for pencil and brush paths

I'm proposing smoothing that may be applied or removed after a path has been created with the pencil or brush tool by the user. When a path is being created, the program would capture necessary coordinate information and the path would be represented on screen as drawn, or with a certain amount of smoothing (set prior to drawing in tool panel). If the user wanted more or less smoothing applied after creating the path, the amount could be adjusted by selecting the path and changing the amount applied. If the path would no longer need adjusting, it could be expanded…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Resizing multiple Artboards at once for a better Icon-design performance

When creating an icon-set of hundreds of icons at 16px, it would be super convenient to have the option to resize all the artboards for the following sizes (e.g: 24 px, 32px, 48px...). This is so cause when I have created the first file, I have also taken the time to properly name all the artboards so that when I export them, developers can find them with the naming-system that we had already created.

The problem I am facing now with this feature is that I cannot keep the names and so, I need to start over the same process…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. "Multiple Record Layout" data merge feature.

I love the "Multiple Record Layout" data merge feature in InDesign. However my merged documents are often opened in Illustrator by the end user to make changes. Currently my client wants a full vector file for laser cutting shapes with custom etched names. They do not translate well with strokes becoming their own object and lines of text disconnecting. The idea to data merge 200+ names in IN makes perfect sense, but in this case the client asked they be done in AI and each name and custom info needs to be brought in by hand manually one name at…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Canvas Size Limit

I know there is already a massive discussion around this topic, but I had an idea this morning. The "Large Artboard" that is now available as far as I can tell is not truly a new massive artboard. It's just doing 1:10 scale math for you automatically. I see underneath the hood when using my vinyl cutter for example. A file sent to the cutting software sees everything at 10% size. Another example is when copy/paste from large artboard to a normal board, it will come in at 10% size.
    Here's my suggestion: Instead of having a single large artboard…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. SVG scalable vector export option for use in Microsoft applications

Please include an .svg format without code or mobile device use that will hold clipping, gradients, etc. to use as scalable vector artwork to be placed in MSO applications. This was not an issue in previous versions of Illustrator.

I provide scalable vector artwork from my projects for my clients who work in Microsoft applications by placing "Picture from File" in a PowerPoint Catalog.

When exporting, I get an error message: "Clipping will be lost on roundtrip to Tiny" when opening them back up and the artwork is distorted.

I got better results with "Save a copy" however, I still…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Power Efficiency

Since I've moved to working remotely entirely, I've noticed how quickly using several Adobe programs burns through my laptop battery. I'm running a brand new 16" Macbook Pro with the latest MacOS Catalina version, and I'm lucky if I get an hour and a half of battery life while running InDesign and Illustrator at the same time. When I review what is using the most battery life, my Mac lists InDesign, Illustrator, and Core Sync as the main culprits.

Now, I understand that these programs at times are fairly graphically intensive, but the battery life I'm getting is absymal, and…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Artboard preview in Save dialog

In the theme of "recognition over recall," it would be great if the Save dialog allowed you to preview artboards the way the Print dialog does. When I'm working fast I don't always remember to stop and jot down the numbers of the specific artboards I need to export, and it's annoying to have to exit the save dialog, find the numbers, go back to the save dialog, repeat any necessary steps such as setting file name and location, THEN enter my desired artboard number(s) before moving forward. Having the artboard preview as part of the save window would cut…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. I have hundreds of ideas, I have been working with Illustrator every day since version 1 but you never implement my ideas

I have hundreds of ideas, I have been working with Illustrator every day since version 1, like 10 hours on most days but you never implement my ideas.

Here are three more.

Include an option to render lines around the artboards or not, currently I have to go over my complete layout and trace every artboard becouse they don't render and leave my artwork borderless.

When I save for web but hit enter to soon a dialogue box opens up under the web preview and I am unable to close the window without force the program to restart.

Often when…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Path selection sensitivity in Illustrator

You've finally made the node & anchor point sizes adjustable - HURRAY! However now when trying to directly select a path, i instead have to click on an area NEAR it but not ON it, so as not to pick up the other nearby paths. Furthermore, instead of being able to click in a blank area and drag my selection tool to pick up the paths Id like, it picks up everything near enough to where I've clicked in that blank space. It NEVER used to do that. Ive tried adjusting all the settings to no avail. its like now…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. set type units individually instead of globally

It would be really nice to allow the Cap Height and X Height to show in inches, independently from the Em Box units. I know this can be changed gloabally in preferences, but in my line of work, I need use pts for Em Box and inches for Cap Height, and I use them both in the same file for different purposes. I also know that I can just type in 3" in the box and it will set correctly, even though it shows in pts. However, memorizing the pt conversion for every height increment is ridiculous, as is having…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Bring back free assets and the ability to search in CC for them

Adobe recently took away a feature which was part of the cloud subscription which really sucks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Cloud, Libraries  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Illustrator or Photoshop for digital drawing??

I am a digital artist. I didn't see a thread about difference between this two software , and it seemed like no one has given their impressions on this oftware so I wanted to put together something quick to kickstart a discussion or something.

Illustrator is a vector based application and Photoshop is an image editor. That means Photoshop works with pixels and Illustrator does not. Illustrator drawings can be scaled and printed at any size without loss of image quality. The lines are very clean and sharp, which is great for logo design and illustration. Photoshop drawings can be…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Sticky swatches, patterns, gradients, brushes and symbols.

I get so very tired of having to re-create what I've made or added earlier, or find the original file that contains things I've created earlier. It's starting from zero every time I open a new file.

It would be so nice to have things I added to panels be there for the next file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There are several options to make resources sticky.

1. Save your swatches/brushes/etc. library as user defined one on a disk, using the dedicated panel’s menu. Open each then from same menu in User Defined sub-folder. When the separate palette appears, mark is as Persistent in this panel’s menu, This will make these palettes stick after Illustrator relaunches.

2. You can locate document profiles (Print.ai, Web.ai, etc.) on your machine (in New Document Profiles folder), edit their predefined presets, and resave them. This will make every new document based on these profile to have your resources.

3. Save a current document with the resources as a template, and later call them File > New from template. This will fixate the artboards settings though, unlike method 2.

But be careful with methods, because Ai can reset document profiles when updates.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base