Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests
When entering a new feature request, please provide:
- Description
- Why is this valuable to you?
- or
950 results found
-
Allow to customize color of text used by Distance Guides
Recently Illustrator received Distance Guides (can be disabled in Preferences > Smart Guides > Invoke Distance Guides), thanks to this request: http://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/34302196 (it uses Opt/Alt, not Cmd/Ctrl)
For some reason the color of text in these is black — while the lines use the one set for object guides (magenta by default today). It makes it very hard to see when working with dark designs.
Dimension Tool uses magenta color for the same text... I think it should be either magenta as well, or a separate option should be used to set the color.
7 votes -
Reverse Track a Linked Image
I would be like to be able to find an image (jpg/png) in my files, and see what documents it is linked to in InDD and AI.
I do a LOT of image linking, and it would help me (perhaps in Bridge? don't know what's best) to be able to open an image file, and see what documents I have linked it to.
It would help me track how many times I've used something already, who (of my clients) have already seen it, and often I can remember the image, but not what I've used it for.
2 votes -
1 vote
-
Reduce & refine the SVG code that Illustrator exports!
Illustrator creates bloated and messed up SVG code. Please Adobe, make Illustrator so it Exports much cleaner and simpler code.
I'm working with a team of developers and they mock the SVGs I'm giving them. They won't even use many of them, because every single KB matters, and when an SVG file goes from 10KB to 50kb to 100KB, it makes a really REALLY big difference when including in an application or website, so much so, that the developers refuse to use some of my SVGs!
I've attached a script generated SVG (Clean) and the same exact file after being…
7 votes -
Gradient following the curve of a shape
Don't know if this is an original idea but - is it possible to make an feature to make a gradient follow a user-drawn guideline (like with text on line)..? I tried to illustrate it in the attached file - the first shape is the one that should be filled with gradient, the second one is what we can do now (or mesh but that's a bit complicated) and the third one shows the guideline in purple and arrows that the gradient would follow. So the lower left part of the shape would be let's say darkest, the gradient would…
8 votesSince version CS6, Illustrator allows to align gradients on strokes with a dedicated set of Align Stroke buttons in the full expanded Stroke panel.
-
FXG
Please bring back FXG.
SVG is no solution for coworking with complex files in Flash and Illustrator.
Since years i've installed old cs6 version of Flash and Illustrator only for the FXG export / import.
Thanks!1 vote -
Missing languages from character panel for automation
I need to automate the language parameter from the Character panel on Illustrator. It is already available for most languages but it looks like the recent languages that have been added in Illustrator are not available for automation. We need to set this up to have the correct hyphenation in the text frames. For example, if we activate the hyphenation for illustrator files that contains Thai strings, it won’t hyphenate the strings correctly until we set the language.
The list available for automation can be found from the Illustrator scripting library on macOS (it contains everything we can use for…
1 vote -
File Save Options - Recovery data location
I'm running the latest version of Illustrator (26.2.1 as I'm writing this) but my data recovery preferences are somehow stuck at the location for Illustrator 20 and the application warns me every time that it can't save recovery data for the current document. I can change this, I know, but that still just keeps it then stuck at the location for version 26, and will presumably break again when version 27 is released.
What I need is some way to restore the default behaviour which would (presumably) automatically update to the correct relative location for the current application version.3 votes -
Import Autocad (DXF, DWG) layers
When importing a file from Autocad, regardless of which version it’s saved as, the layers are not preserved and every object appears as a separate item under 1 layer. What a nightmare. I only purchased Illustrator to present our CAD drawings and it cant even do that properly, waste of money.
User interface is logicless and not at all intuitive, totally reliant on Youtube tutorial videos and web search solutions.7 votes -
Make the Touch Type Tool work both sides
OK, I'm having this "workflow" issue with the Touch Type Tool.
I like to be able to move 1 character at a time, rotate, move, scale.
But I'm a bit annoyed because SOMETIMES, I'd love it to NOT change the text after. So I usually have to reverse-compensate by making negative kerning on the next character.
See the image attached :
1. I justified my type between the 2 green margins.
-> Nice.
2. I change the H character (scale/rotation)
-> Getting out of the green margin.
3. I change the character after (negative kerning)
-> Back into nice green…8 votes -
Remove restrictions to useable keyboard shortcuts (e.g. Ctrl + Key for non-tools)
It would be great if the restrictions put in place for keyboard shortcuts regarding non-tools could be changed to include single key shortcuts (like tools). There is no valid reason that any of the File/ Edit/ Object/ Type/ Select/ Effect/ View/ Window shortcuts require using the Ctrl key. Indesign does this already just like many non-Adobe programs. It's time to change this.
7 votes -
Actual Status Bar instead of Spinning Beach Ball
When working with larger images or complex art I can imagine that Illustrator or macOS need caching or need to write temp files somewhere.
I work in the sign business so we work with very large images frequently, for car wraps or large wall art for instance.
Often the infamous Spinning Beach Ball appears when moving or copying fairly large images. This can take several minutes.
It would be nice to have an actual status bar instead of the Spinng Beach Ball so that we can see what Illustrator is actually doing and how long it would take to finish…
4 votes -
Allow to locally customize the assets from CC library within a document, similar to components in Figma
I'm working for a company who makes workwear and we're having an issue with the creative cloud library.
We've made al of these symbols in the creative cloud libraries, but we've seen that we can't manipulate these in 1 document.
For example, we're making a coat.
First we take the front out of the library, then the sleeves and a pocket.
We see that it is impossible to change these objects in this new document.
These drawings from the library are added in the document like pictures, that's why we can't colour them for example.
We obviously don't want to…4 votes -
Add option to Import DXF tool
Hello,
I have some request about the Import DXF feature.
When opening a dxf file, the window ask if we want to scale the file to the artwork, but not the opposite.
When opening a file at scale 1:1, it could be valuable to set the size of the artboard to the limits of the dxf file, as you have to do manually (most often) after you open it.
It could also be cool to have a window showing the list of layers in the file and give the option to make a selection of those you want to import…5 votes -
Automatically name artboards based on the file name
Can we have a feature like, when creating a new artboard, the artboard named automatically as per the file name rather than naming it a default - Artboard number.
2 votes -
Change conversion of black when going from RGB to CMYK
Please change the default behavior when converting a file from RGB color space to CMYK color space to make RGB black convert to 100% black. Currently and for years, Illustrator converts it to a rich black, with high values in each ink. It's very common to have to take artwork created in RGB and covert it to CMYK for print, and the default conversion for black is never usable. Please make it practical and have 0,0,0, RGB black convert to Cyan 0, Magenta 0, Yellow 0, Black 100.
7 votes -
Extract missing links from Ai editable PDF when opening it in Illustrator
PDF's saved from illustrator with 'preserve illustrator editing capabilities' do not embed any linked raster images in the Illustrator compatible component. When the PDF is opened in illustrator for editing, a message alerts that the links are missing, and low res images show when opened. The links are present in the PDF portion of the file and can be extracted manually and relinked. Might be a big ask, but it would be more ideal that Illustrator recognises the links are contained within the file, and is able to extract them automatically and embed them into the Illustrator component during opening.
6 votes -
Add a 'Select More' menu option
When working with a very busy file, it's often much easier to select an anchor or line segment than an object.
My idea is to have a menu option that selects the object or objects which currently have anchors or line segments selected.
A user could select an object by first selecting one of its anchors, and then using this menu option.
If the user hits this feature multiple times, it could continue to 'select more' by, for example, selecting all siblings within the current group, and then the group itself, and then the group's siblings etc.
7 votes -
Make Select Art button more evident
I periodically see designers, with serious (albeit cheerful) faces, boldly clicking the 'round button' in Layers to 'select everything on the layer.'
And while the button indeed 'selects' everything on a layer, it also selects the layer itself — targets it really, for applying a layer-specific appearance.
Take a look at this GIF attached.
If I select Layer 2 (with the green squares) like this, and then apply the Round Corners effect, all the new squares in the layer will have round corners.
Sure, everything is visible in the Appearance palette.
Sure, everything is written in the pop-up hints.The…
8 votes -
Preferences did not copy from previous Ai version to Ai 2025
The recent Illustrator update did not copy all the our previous settings & preferences. So we need to manually do it again. Previous versions doesn't have this issue? The only reason why we update is because our clients are using the latest Ai, but after update, preferences need to MANUALLY RE-DO! Why it keeps on happening! We are a 24/7 company. My goodness! Adobe!
1 vote
- Don't see your idea?