Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests
When entering a new feature request, please provide:
- Description
- Why is this valuable to you?
- or
950 results found
-
Can you focus updates to really work? Please do proper testing. I'm tired of contacting customer service very month
I contact customer service at least once a month, and before, when i got the program without online creative suite i never had to contact anyone, it worked amazingly, and now.. literally every update is a nightmare.. please stop doing updates for the sake of doing updates, take the monthly money but make something that we can rely on. not a program that makes my life harder... now i can't open files i used 20 days ago because a plug in, Ai 2019 and 2020 not compatible? Please// this is ridic
2 votes -
Show preview for missing link image
Instead of blank, empty image frame when a linked image is missing please embed a preview of each linked image. That way, just like Indesign, it will be possible to see what the missing file looks like as you attempt to relink the image.
6 votes -
Make Select Art button more evident
I periodically see designers, with serious (albeit cheerful) faces, boldly clicking the 'round button' in Layers to 'select everything on the layer.'
And while the button indeed 'selects' everything on a layer, it also selects the layer itself — targets it really, for applying a layer-specific appearance.
Take a look at this GIF attached.
If I select Layer 2 (with the green squares) like this, and then apply the Round Corners effect, all the new squares in the layer will have round corners.
Sure, everything is visible in the Appearance palette.
Sure, everything is written in the pop-up hints.The…
8 votes -
Zoom Tool Controls (Fit to Screen)
Can we make the Zoom Tool have the same Control settings as the Zoom Tool in Photoshop? I design in Large Scale Canvas Files. I like to design Art for Shirt Prints/Broadcasting Graphics for Entertainment Usage/Graphics for Sports Teams.
This means a lot of Re-Scaling Images after put into the documents. When I Re-Scale the images and go to position them. I need to Zoom In onto the destination of the image's positioning.
After I position that image. I can go back to Full-Size Image. But, I have to go to my Magnifier % at the bottom of my…3 votesIndeed, Illustrator does not have 'Fit to Screen' option in the context menu for the Zoom tool.
But it provides other ways to do that:
View > Fit Artboard in Window (Cmd/Ctrl + 0)
View > Fit All in Window (Opt/Alt + Cmd/Ctrl + 0)
If you are interested in Zoom to Selection command, please vote here: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/31427962-zoom-to-selection-fit-selection-on-screen-with
-
Preferences did not copy from previous Ai version to Ai 2025
The recent Illustrator update did not copy all the our previous settings & preferences. So we need to manually do it again. Previous versions doesn't have this issue? The only reason why we update is because our clients are using the latest Ai, but after update, preferences need to MANUALLY RE-DO! Why it keeps on happening! We are a 24/7 company. My goodness! Adobe!
1 vote -
dropbox syncing
When I open/save through the native Illustrator dialogue boxes, files that I have in my dropbox folders begin to download for no reason. I use SmartSync to keep my HD space optimized and this little glitch makes that impossible.
1 vote -
Version history to log a new version upon opening old file
As of now, Version History deletes old versions after 30 days unless it was marked manually, which is fine and makes sense. However, as you open a more-than-30-days-old file that was not marked and you modify it beyond your History limit, there is no way you can revert back to the original file, at least if you have the autosave enabled, which is to be expected.
I therefore suggest to automatically log a version as you open a file that didn't contain any (more than 30 days old...)
2 votes -
Save Vector Artboards by Clipping Vector Art to the Artboard
I need for vector artboards to be fully clipped to the artboard when saving as PDF and/or any other vector format. I have vector artwork for large format printing that I have cropped into many artboards in the same file. When I save individual artboards as PDF, any lines that extend outside the artboard are still available in the saved PDF file when opened in Illustrator. I need artboards to truly clip the vector artwork or I need another solution to this issue. Clipping masks do not actually clip vector artwork, in Outline Mode, the entire artwork is still there.…
6 votes -
Edit Original Link Image in contextual menu
It would be a lot less clicks if one could right-click an image file and have "edit image" be in the contextual menu. Currently, click the object, go to links palette, click on the little pencil icon... photoshop launches... Kind of labor intensive...
6 votes -
Illustrator CC 2019 after updating software says it ran out of memory
New version of Illustrator CC 2019 installed, but the software keeps crashing and says not enough RAM to open file or work on the file. But my MAC has enough RAM. ??
How can this be fixed?5 votes -
Export EPS with latex
The open source Inkscape has the feature where you could edit any text as latex in the EPS-file after exporting it. This makes all scientists and other users of latex mega-happy. This is the easiest way to format the text to fit the latex document, and to add nice math writings to the figure in the blink of an eye, instead of the tedious work of writing the correct font and special math symbols in Illustrator.
Could Ai please add the feature of generating something similar to what is documented here: http://tug.ctan.org/info/svg-inkscape/InkscapePDFLaTeX.pdf ?
I believe this is easy and quickly…
7 votes -
I would like the Share for Review links to show the file name instead of the random letters and numbers.
I would like the Share for Review links to show the file name instead of the random letters and numbers. When I have 90 documents to share among a dozen reviewers, they get really hard to track.
3 votes -
4 votes
-
Merge some features of Color window into Swatches window
I've always wished the "Color" window and "Swatches" were sort of merged... I wont' bother explaining why its useful to keep the Swatches window open, as i have to assume everybody is constantly using this. I toggle over to the Color window when i'm viewing the color name and swapping the color/fill. In the latest update of Illustrator, they've updated Swatches to include a stroke and fill selector (as well as a list of recent colors, which is pretty cool). they've not however included the swapping arrow, display name of color, or that little default fill selection. can we please…
2 votes -
Templates created do not store color profile attribution
Steps to reproduce:
- Start a new document
- Use the menu Edit -> Assign Profile...
- Assign a profile to the document, such as Working CMYK
- Save this document as a template (.ait)
- Open the template file just created
- This new document will not have a color profile assigned
6 votes -
Select similar colors (with a tolerance slider) so you can round up and streamline elements in a messy document
This is basically a tolerance slider added to Select>Same>Fill Color. It would just allow you to cast a wider net to quickly select colors and convert them to a single global color. It's very hard to track down a color that's 1% off from the others in a complex file otherwise. It could also help process multi-color graphics into a limited color palette more efficiently
6 votes -
Link pictures from Variable Panel
When setting variables into variable panel, we can't auto add links addresses to variable, and need to add them into external xml or csv files. If we will add "Links" into variable panel we can click on folder icon and auto load link address into variable panel.
1 vote -
Change shortcut for paste in place/paste on all artboards to match Indesign
I'm in a workflow where I work simultaneously with Illustrator and Indesign, linking illustrator files to indesign (they could probably be integrated more!).
However, it is probably my most irritated moments when I realize I have used cmd-alt-shift-V (shortcut to paste in place in Indesign) instead of cmd-shift-V. If you work on one artboard, it looks the same, and you don't realize your mistake until you go to another artboard and see that the pasted thing has been pasted on all artboards. And you've worked far enough to not having the possibility to undo...
2 votesYou can customize your hotkeys in Keyboard Shortcuts dialog. Search 'paste' and change 'Paste on All Artboards' to anything else or remove shortcut completely.
-
Feedback on Enhanced Cloud Document Feature (in Beta now)
Now, embed Photoshop cloud documents into your cloud documents and files. You will be able to select your Photoshop cloud documents in a new cloud picker in the Place dialog.
Track the status of individual cloud documents, through the Cloud Sync icon in your CDO.
1 vote -
'Expand' generates excess groups, clipping groups, compound paths and other unwanted vector garbage. Keep it simple!
Try expanding a brush or a 3D shape and take a look at the large pile of unwanted groups, compound paths and clipping masks Illustrator has generated for you. It just adds complexity to the file and makes the object appearance tricky to work with. See example ai file attached.
If you have Astute Graphic’s Vector First Aid plugin you can remove all that stuff and see just how simple and usable your vectors can be (I recommend it), Wouldn’t it be better if Illustrator didn’t generate junk in the first place?
Please make sure Illustrator only generates the barest…6 votes
- Don't see your idea?