Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests
When entering a new feature request, please provide:
- Description
- Why is this valuable to you?
- or
950 results found
-
Eliminate the Adobe Search Pane in the top right of illustrator
Adobe does not seem to be able to fix the problem of Adobe search being selected by default when a file is opened. I use a master layout page & am constantly pasting art I have copied to the pasteboard into the stupid, virtually useless Adobe search window. It immediately hangs Illustrator which eventually crashes.
This bug is ridiculously enraging. I cannot believe Adobe has not addressed this. It can't just be me having this issue
6 votesThe search bar in the top right corner is gone and is replaced with a button with a magnifier icon — it now calls the new Discover window.
Please check how you like it now and reply back. -
STOP changing the behavior of the tools!
I have used AI for over 20 years -- I've even been featured in books!! Why the F is the team changing the behavior of tools. IT AINT BROKEN and you're making it worse.
Just in the last 5 minutes I've found that I can no longer rotate a text box and have the text rotate, as well. Now the text stays put and the box rotates. WHY?
Also, when I save a new document (with it set to AI editable pdf) it's saving some other copy and the document that's currently open is still unsaved and untitled. How is…
2 votes -
'Expand' generates excess groups, clipping groups, compound paths and other unwanted vector garbage. Keep it simple!
Try expanding a brush or a 3D shape and take a look at the large pile of unwanted groups, compound paths and clipping masks Illustrator has generated for you. It just adds complexity to the file and makes the object appearance tricky to work with. See example ai file attached.
If you have Astute Graphic’s Vector First Aid plugin you can remove all that stuff and see just how simple and usable your vectors can be (I recommend it), Wouldn’t it be better if Illustrator didn’t generate junk in the first place?
Please make sure Illustrator only generates the barest…6 votes -
metadata
Please update the ability to add metadata to a file, similar to the way you can with Adobe Lightroom Classic. The current file info feature is difficult to understand and you have to drill way down to get your information into the metadata.
The ability to create Metadata presets that you can easily apply to files. The metadata preset would include:
- Basic file information
- IPTC Content, Copyright, Creator, etc. info
- Keywords1 vote -
Print multiple artboards on one page, with options
I think it'd be nice to be able to print only what's on multiple artboards onto one page. Right now the only option is to "ignore artboards", but that will print everything within the file, which doesn't work. The workaround is to save as a .pdf then print everything on one page from there, but this really shouldn't need a workaround, it should be an option within the print dialog.
6 votes -
Library search and place behaviour
As I drag an item out of the library panel, as soon as the item clears the edge of the panel, the search results reset to whatever library I was looking at before; the search results are lost.
This frequently results in me having to repeat the exact same search multiple times over which can be madening. Consider the following situations:
1) I forgot to alt-click/my alt-click didn't register, and I'm stuck with a linked file which can't be converted to a useful vector (I've never yet actually wanted to place a linked file from the library, so having that…
6 votes -
Save the .ai file and only after finishing the .pdf
As done in CC 2019, I can save the .ai and only after finish it I can save a .pdf
Now with AI 24.2.2 I save the .ai and immediatly the .pdf but the .ai file is not saved. So the .ai and .pdf are not the same. This can cause a lot of problem becasue is I start work to AI file I'm not in last version and if I start on .pdf in low resolution I lose some elements, and reduce the quality to raster.
Please, do as CC 2019 that Illustrator block user before .pdf save.
I…2 votes -
Improve print quality for non-postscript printers on macOS
When using Illustrator on macOS Computers, the quality (resolution) of documents is lower when printed on non-postscript printers than when printing the same document using Acrobat (this seems not to be the case for Windows).
The attached file shows the difference between the exact same file printed on the same printer using the same settings. The upper part was printed using Acrobat, the lower part was directly printed with Illustrator.5 votes -
An ability to update variables
I'd like to be able to bind Variables to pageItems and be able to reimport the Variable Library; that is, I'd like to be able to reimport the CSV or XML file and not have to rebind the Variable to pageItems.
This would let me create a template or master file that is ready to import new data without having to rebind the Variables.
Also, make Variable binding scriptable.
5 votes -
Show image output dimensions before exporting with Export As
Under File > Export > Export for Screens and > Export As, it would be great to be able to know what the output dimensions will be when selecting 150dpi, 300dpi or a custom resolution.
Often I will need to export images from various source to specific JPEG or PNG dimensions. This will save the step of exporting, checking the dimensions of the output file, then adjusting the output resolution or resizing in Photoshop.
5 votes -
Remove Onboarding features as they get in the way of me trying to do my job
It can be extremely frustrating to have popover windows introduce features or to say "hey let's start designing". I'm already trying to design by firing up illustrator and opening a file. I'm busy and just need to get some work done for a deadline. I don't need you asking the obvious or interrupting me from completing my job.
I get that you want to help me know that new features exist, but please, please, do that in a way that doesn't force me to acknowledge your popover when I open up a file that already exists. Or even if i…
5 votes -
Autosave
Apple Mac OS has had it's own version of autosave and recovery in the OS for YEARS! I am so sick and tired of every time my illustrator crashes that I have to go through the headache of everything having [recovery] attached to it. Let's be honest, it happens ALL THE TIME. If Adobe isn't going to adapt to the OS its on, why don't you make your own file system?!? I dread having to open Adobe products to complete a take because they are unstable, outdated and just lame.
6 votes -
fsType not honored when exporting as PDF
Hello,
I've noticed the fsType value in the OS/2 table of OTF fonts is not honored by Indesign nor Illustrator.
I've set the value of fsType to 0x0102 and this should prevent subsetting and embedding.
However, Illustrator exports to pdf, embedding . Worst, it gives no warning the embedding/subsetting isn't allowed for the current font.for info, I had flushed any font cache to be sure the font files are the good ones and deleted them from my disk before reopening my pdf to be sure they're embedded.
For info, these fonts are located in Library > Application support >…2 votes -
Illustrator doesn't let me use 3D objects and it automatically closes every time I want to use that option
When I installed Illustrator files from the Adobe Materials website to use with 3D objects, it stopped working, when I try to select something and convert it to 3D, Illustrator automatically closes. I already reinstalled the program but it's still the same. How do I be able to use it again?
1 vote -
Move close button away from save in File menu
Moving the Close button away from the Save button, maybe to just below Revert
Sounds like a sad fix but having the Save button right below the Close has caused me to lose original works due to accidentally pressing Save instead of close when i don't to save the changes made.
This has happened when my mouse has had a sudden glitch and not moved the .5mm needed to press the correct button. worse when you can't undo due to hitting the maximum number of undos
Not a major issue but anyone that has done this would know the pain…
3 votes -
Select the unlocked layer when the top layer is locked on file open
When working in/opening a file and the top layer is locked, the next layer should be selected automatically.
2 votes -
Warn of locked and hidden items when saving or selecting all and trying to move the selection.
Receive a warning if trying to save a file that has hidden objects. Warn when selecting all and then trying to move selection that elements are locked.
5 votes -
Make Create Gradient from swatches command to respect the order of selection
Recently Illustrator added a dedicated command to create a gradient form selected swatches, following this request: http://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/38592196
While the function works, there is no way to create a gradient respecting the selection order of swatches — the gradient will always use their order in the panel. I wish it worked! If we need the direct order of swatches, we’d just selected like this.
6 votes -
High Rez PDFs shouldn't have such large file sizes
If I layout the same design in Illustrator AND InDesign, Illustrator will always have a ridiculously higher file size. InDesign will produce a print-ready PDF at 9 megs, and Illustrator will produce one that is 34 megs which can't be sent by email. I've tried rasterizing photos and cropping them but this is a rather arduous process and has resulted in a lot of errors as the rasterize process isn't great either.
2 votesWhen a PDF-file 'saved' in Illustrator, it gets an internal copy of the Ai-document written in it, so that users can always read it back in to make changes. This includes all your stuff on canvas, all presets, brushes, styles, swatches... it’s all compact enough, but even without images it makes a PDF twice the size. Once images jump in, it rockets sky high — obviously enough.
InDesign does not care about editability of PDFs, it 'exports' PDF, with no chance of them being read back in a way and form they were created — that’s why 'save' and 'export' are in quotation marks.
If you want to make a PDF smaller in Illustrator — just use correct presets and/or settings while 'saving' it. Choose 'Smallest File Size' preset, make sure you have 'Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities' option unchecked, tweak compression, resampling and image quality.
Read more about making PDFs…
-
Content Credentials (Beta) arriving for Illustrator ... and general concerns about Content Provenance / Attribution
As Adobe are a leading player in the CAI initiative, are they rolling out 'Content Credentials' functionality to the other creation tools in the suite?
Also - related to this - why do admin staff on here ask people to upload .AI files as bug fix evidence without conversations about risks of jeopardising Provenance and Attribution?1 vote
- Don't see your idea?