Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

543 results found

1. Add dividers/separators to custom tools panel (or enable stacking/docking them vertically)

It would be nice to be able to visually separate tool groups in custom toolbars since there is no way to stack them vertically. Think "groups" in Microsoft Office apps' "ribbon". We can currently only...

A) Mash all of our tools into one toolbar, with no means of visual organization apart from the order in which they appear (I don't count stacking the tools as "visual organization", since I cannot see them).

B) Snap multiple toolbars together, but not while docked to edge of UI. They will not be movable together like this, and other UI elements can overlap them.…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Transform Shortcuts / Enter the transform panel with a keyboard shortcut

I want to be able to transform an object using the keyboard.

For example, in Sketch, I can manipulate an object by holding the command key (optionally with a 10x Shift-key modifier) and using the arrow keys to increase or decrease the height or width of an object. This tends to be easier than using the mouse or the Transform panel when making quick modifications. (Also, less painful for arthritic users!)

Please consider it.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Actions panel

Everything is so tiny, and the actions panel is too. When you run an action you see all steps, and if you want to try another of your actions you have to scroll a mile to get there. It's very difficult to get an overview of the actions you have. So I would like to see the steps of the action in a separate window, so that you don't loose the overview of your actions. You shouldn't see all steps in the same list as the actions that you have. Also I would like to be able to have some…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Display command assigned hotkeys in Discover panel’s search results

When you search for a command in Discover panel, Illustrator gives you the results, but never actually tries to educate a user further with teaching him assigned keyboard shortcuts.
    Figma does it!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Make Redefine Graphic Style option better accessible, and from the Graphic Styles panel too

If Ai had a hotkey for this command (like this request is asking for: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657/suggestions/41254435), perhaps this one would be less painful.

Yes, I know, you edit an appearance in the Appearance panel, and then force this changes to update the original style, using the panel’s flyout menu... but

A. I often start looking the wrong panel, thinking 'I am updating a graphic style, so the relevant command should be in Graphic Styles' — and when I realize it’s a wrong assumption, it’s too late. For some reason this habit is hard to change!

B. Why this command is…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. ADD "Relink to Folder..." to the Links panel as in InDesign

We have long kept an asset folder named The__PIT that has 1 copy of every file that has ever made it through Production so that if we bring up an InDesign IDML or INDD from any time in our history, ALL links are immediately restored using "Relink to Folder...". We need this same functionality with Illustrator. I understand that InDesign is a data based software and Illustrator is not. I also see that Illustrator does retain the file name though (which, as is noted in many other similar requests, does nothing as far as selecting a match within a CC…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Transparency Masks should appear in layers panel like Clipping Masks

I like how Clipping Masks show up in the Layers panel as a "<Clip Group>", which you can expand to see the object being used as the mask and the object being masked. However, Transparency Masks do not show up at all in the Layers panel; you have to remember to open up the Transparency panel to see and interact with them. In a document with a mix of Clipping Masks and Transparency Masks, this is really confusing and makes the Transparency Masks easy to forget about. You should make the Transparency Mask show up in the Layers panel like…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Appearance panel needs a better way to signal 'No selection'

Very often, working on a complex appearance, we accidentaly loose the object selection, and the stack we edit remains unassigned.

The panel then gets 'No selection' in the top row... but if the attributes stack is long, this line can get hidden if you scroll the panel down.
    Then, if you select something else, all your changes get lost.

The workaround now is to be vigilant (ha) and save your appearance as a temp style before you select back the art you wanted to edit appearance for in the first place.
    A better solution would be to make the 'No…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Right-click Contextual menu with Layers panel (same as in Photoshop)

Wouldn’t it be nice if Illustrator had a similar contextual menu as in Photoshop?

It would be much easier to e.g. duplicate a layer, using right-click, than via tiny-hard-to-point-at hamburger menu at the layer palette.

Please…

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Panel undocking delay, PLEASE

There should be a delay to undock panels. When I click a panel icon and accidentally perform an imperceptible drag (like, clicking quickly and not even sensing that the pointer has slipped a millimeter on the icon), the panel immediately undocks, and this happens all the time (and did not happen in previous versions of Illustrator -- WHY the change???).

There must be a delay before the panel actually undocks. UI design 101, if you ask me.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Please remove the pop-up tip from the Color Themes panel

It's difficult to try out colors in this panel, because a pop-up tip appears right underneath your pointer every time. I'd love to see the "Click to set active color" pop-up removed, as it makes the colors difficult to select and it really isn't even that informative.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Ability to link "Data set name" upon CSV import for Variables panel

Currently when you "load variable Library" from a CSV illustrator defaults each Data Set with "Data Set 1, Data Set 2, Data Set 3, Data Set 4... ect."

Currently the only way I know to rename that data set is to manually rename each data set by selecting that data set from the drop down menu, and selecting "rename data set" from the options panel, and then either typing or copy and pasting some text in.

I use data sets for more batch like designing, it would be really nice if we could bind the data set name to a…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Select objects on layer panel by CTRL Dragging on circle icon

In older versions of Illustrator you could go to the layer panel and CTR L / CMD drag on the circle icons to select multiple objects really fast. Would love to have this back as it wasn't replaced with anything else and a lot of times I need to select objects on the layer panel and not the canvas.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Properties Panel and Graph Type Options

Please add Graph Type options directly in Properties panel when a graph is selected and include a preview checkbox.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Custom presets for Asset Export / Export for Screens

When adding in your own custom sizes and suffixes into the Asset Export panel it would be nice to be able to save these out as a preset for later use.

For my job I have to export the same image into 20-30 different sizes with individual names (suffixes) that don't change. That's why I thought it would be good if you could set up all the file sizes and names once then save it out as preset for later use or to even share with a colleague.

It would speed up the workflow for many people if this was…

300 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Have an 'expand' button on the Image Trace properties panel

Have an 'expand' button on the Image Trace properties panel..

It's a pretty crazy change to remove it..
    why have it tucked away in the menus ?!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Can you PLEASE PLEASE just put a simple trash can icon on the links panel so i can just delete links that are no longer pertinent?

Can you PLEASE PLEASE just put a simple trash can icon on the links panel so I can quickly and easily delete links to images that are no longer pertinent. this would be valuable because I use the same base maps over and over but import different source sketches that I trace/digitize on to the map. once the feature is digitized and I've deleted the sketch the link lives on forever. Or better yet, just the way it works in InDesign (maybe you've heard of it) - if you delete the image, the link to it automatically deletes.

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Layer panel options

Layer panel options
    Hi, for 5K screen users is it possible to increase the size of the layer thumbnails more than 100px ? if not it can be a request I think :). thank you

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow to rename attributes and make folders in Appearance Panel

Appearance are the most powerful feature of Illustrator, but the learning curve is difficult and for Advanced User it's difficult to manage and remember what are doing what in a Complex Appearance (cf. Screenshot where I had to use Colors to identify properties…)

Adding features like:
    – Renaming (fill, stroke and effects)
    – Folders (like in Ps: "Pass Trough" blend mode, knockout, vector mask based on "Convert to shape" with 9 points proxy…)

It will be more easier to understand Complex Appearance samples and for Advanced users, it will be way more efficient.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Please add an ability to align points using the Align panel

Please add an ability to align individual points using the Align panel. This has always been an option, but it seems to have been removed.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base