Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1117 results found

1. Saving, Opening, & creating files Not Responsive with Unstable Internet Connection

Illustrator saving, creating files, and opening files seems to be tied to an internet connection, and it really fails if the connection isn't strong/stable. And this was only an issue with Illustrator (found with 24.2.3 & 24.2.0) with Photoshop and Indesign continued to function normally.

For two weeks I began experiencing very slow saving, it being "not responsive" for about 10 minutes to save any file. I eventually found it was tied to my internet connection. I recently switched my home network to data from a mobile hotspot which works find but isn't always stable. So the saving issue wasn't…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Subsequent document saves

Whilst working on a document in the latest version of Illustrator, any subsequent saves after the initial first saves is not guaranteed to have saved. Instead I may find a temp file in the folder alongside the original version rather than the fresh updated document. This is the first time in any versions of Illustrator that I have experienced this and am extremely worried as to what other documents have supposedly been updated but haven't really?

Before you ask, yes, I did refresh my folders and also opened the illustrator file to only find that the changes made have not…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. save change

I opened an existing Illustrator .ai file. Changed the colour of an object's stroke. Saved. Closed. Then I noticed the change was not there.
    Repeated several times. Kept trying to make the change and command-s. 
    I could see the colour change when I changed the value, but saving did nothing. I noticed that after making the change, the red circle at the top left of the window did not get a black dot to indicate an unsaved change.
    I finally did a Save As to make it remember the change. Using Illustrator 24.2 on Mac OS 10.13.6

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Not saving when i make changes and save. it is always original version when opened.

Not saving when i make changes and save. it is always original version when opened.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Saving to iCloud Drive creates multiple versions of the same file.

Saved a file to a folder on iCloud Drive (on the Desktop with iCloud Drive Desktop & Document Sync enabled). The file is still open in Illustrator, yet there are 3 versions of the file in the folder.

What I am assuming is happening is that the file is being taken off of the desktop and saved to the cloud, but then Illustrator is rewriting the file because it can't see the original file. This hasn't happened before with Illustrator until the 2020 updates and I've saved all my files to iCloud Drive folders since it became a thing.

I…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Messed preview when opening multiple files

Last file opened in Illustrator transforms the preview of all previous files to look like that last one I opened so I can not differentiate files because they all appear the same from tab to tab.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When Using (File - Place) illustrator applies an unwanted clipping mask which is not present if opened normally.

I import lots of vectors and other files from various places on my computer and everytime I use the (File - Place) feature the vector I import has this unwanted clipping mask.

I find myself clicking ungroup - release clipping mask - ungroup - release clipping mask until the image is completely destroyed and I'm left with a bundle of gradient boxes and an outline of the original shape.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Switched to another application, Unable to Save on return

I initiated a Save, making a New Folder, switched out of Illustrator to Chrome to get a job number to add to the folder name, switched back and was unable to type in the new folder window, or press the Cancel or Save buttons, or use keyboard! Clicking around I noticed I could select type in the input text field in a screen position that was NOT where the input field was. I moved the new folder modal to where I could select type and I was then able to press the buttons! I must have moved the modal either…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Files from Illustrator 9.x lose all layer names when loaded.

Today I was looking through some old files and discovered that things I drew when Illustrator 9 was the new hotness lose their layer names when loaded; everything is just named "<Layer>".

Observed on several versions from CC2018 (22.x, the oldest one on my computer that I can still run - maybe it's time to delete those older versions I still have kicking around) to 2020 (24.2.3).

I've attached a file that displays this behavior. Ignore the request for a linked file that I didn't include, it's just a scan of a rough sketch.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. "Save as" Illustrator bug

Hi. I have the latest 2020 version of Illustrator 24.1.2.
    When I press "Command" + "S" it starts to save. Once it is finished saving it used to have an asterisk in the file name that disappears to indicate that it has been saved. The asterisk no longer disappears. It remains.
    Then when I close after saving it gives me the attached "save" box, and says that "if I don't save my changes will be lost", but if I click "Command" + "S" and then close without saving it does save.
    It makes things very slow. I can't work like…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Save As... (PDF) not recorded in Action

After upgrading to 24.1 and macOS Catalina "Save As..." isn't recorded anymore in an Action.

I used to have an Action which saves any layout as a PDF, always stored the PDF with the same name in a fixed location and closed the file. Now this doesn't work anymore.

I can "Insert Menu Option" Save As but then I have to enter a name and choose a file format.

Such a shame!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Illustrator's "Open..." dialogue box's File Format type dropdown Locks program

1. System info: Windows 10 Pro v1903 Illustrator 2020 v24.2.3
    2. Launched the program, from the home screen, I went to File>Open... When the Dialogue box for opening a file popped up, I went to the filetype selector to the right of the file name field, and clicking the dropdown arrow causes the program to lock up.
    3. I expected a dropdown to allow me to filter visible by file types.
    4. I had to force quit the application.
    5. See attached for referenced dropdown selector.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Save for Web broken in v24.2.x

Windows 10 x64 v1909.

In previous versions of Illustrator (up to v23.1), Save to Web would work correctly even when a file had multiple artboards. However in v 24x; the Save for Web is adding additional pixels around the image even when the artboard selected does not have additional space.

I have attached two screengrabs of the same file, one using AI2019 (correct)_ and the other using AI2020. In both cases the identical artboard is selected and same settings applied.

Further, if the 'crop to artboard' option is checked, then an additional line of transparent pixels appears in the outputted…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Opening a PDF Bug - Not visible until selecting workspace

I frequently open a PDF file in AI. Since updating to V24 (I run macOS Catalina v10.15.5 at the time of report, 6/15/20), if there are no files currently open, the artboard(s) will not be visible upon opening. I found a workaround, but it's still an inconvenience. To fix the issue, I select another workspace (which makes the file visible), and then return to my preferred workspace. However, the saved windows for that workspace are not visible until I zoom in on an artboard. After that, everything functions as normal and as expected, but the issue occurs every time I…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Saving error Adobe Illustrator 2020 [24.0.1]

When saving an existing ai document that I have made an alt to illustrator keeps giving me a save error.

Illustrator tried, but could not save the file 'file name' Click "Learn more" to try alternate options for saving a file.

If I then use the 'save as' command and save over the top of the existing ai it will save. Illustrator leaves a .tmp file in the same folder as my ai. I may work on the file a few more time re-saving using the 'save' command with no issue and then randomly I will save and we go…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. pdf cannot be displayed

Hi, Since update Illustrator 2020, when I save ai to pdf file, it cannot be displayed the thumbnail, and even use Acrobat open still can't see it. Please see attached.
    Thanks!

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Creates "ai2483293123FileName.ai" files

I'm using 24.1.3 of Illustrator and I have come across these files popping up on my network drive. Are these now the "temp" files? Once these files are created, I can not delete them because Finder tells me it is currently being in use.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Hanging on "Unembed"

When trying to "unembed" an image in an AI file, it is very common for the software to completely stall when attempting to navigate to a save location. I have already run this problem through Apple (re:finder) and they claim that it is not a finder issue, but based in the selected software. Upon force quit and relaunch, the process will succeed. As a graphics professional, I have used this command many times daily, for 20 years, and have never experienced an issue until now. Honestly, I have no idea and cannot find any resources to reference.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. "Save as PDF"/"View PDF after saving" checked/Acrobat DC error "file not found"

"Save as PDF"/"View PDF after saving" checked/Acrobat DC error "file not found"
    10/4/2019 Illustrator CC update broke "Save as" PDF option of viewing the PDF after a save-as to PDF. Acrobat DC gives a"PDF not found" error, but displays the file in the "Recent" Home window.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base