What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

SVG text export failure

Illustrator 22.0.1 cannot export text layer names to SVG, which seriously impairs our SVG processing pipeline. Tested on both Mac and PC.
To reproduce:
• Create a blank document
• Create a new text object with the Type tool
• Give the text object a name in the Layers control panel
• Export to SVG, setting Object IDs to "Layer Names"

The resulting SVG code will contain a <text> entity, but without its "id" attribute!

5 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rob Louw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

    Also, if I open an SVG file it does not maintain the path name or number of each layer. Now its simply says <Path>. I have to revert to CC v22.1.

  • Isa Bison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

    The issue is now worse in 23.0.1

    Export is now _sometimes_ wrapping text elements in <g> and giving them the id that is expected to be on the <text> and then giving the <text> no id. Sometimes it works as expected though.

    I don't know what causes this, but I have an example file with two text fields that constantly exports one wrapped and the other not. (Can send on request.)

    This is very frustrating because at least in the old case, I could wrap text nodes intentionally and parse the results. Because the new output is unreliably incorrect and structure is indeterminate, I'm having difficulty working around it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base