Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests
When entering a new feature request, please provide:
- Description
- Why is this valuable to you?
- or
950 results found
-
Support SVG property 'paint-order'
Add support for the paint-order property. By default the fill is painted and then the stroke is placed on top. The paint-order property allows this order to be defined so the stroke can be placed under the fill. Without support for this a svg can look very different than the imported version in illustrator.
The file attached is an example of the property in use.
Example:
https://mdn.mozillademos.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/paint-order$samples/Examples?revision=1530134See the following resources:
https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/painting.html#PaintOrder
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/paint-order
https://caniuse.com/#feat=mdn-css_properties_paint-order12 votes -
Dimension tool improvements
The dimension tool is a really helpful thing but some improvements would be appreciated.
As stated in other posts, please include the possibility to add user defined scalings, including decimal numbers like 1:1.5 and other ones, like 1:15.
According to ISO standards, the dimension text should sit above the lines, as viewed from the right. This would be a great option, because at this moment I don't use this tool regularly because of this.
When dimensions are too small, there should be an option to move the text away, either to the right or the left. Of course this can…
13 votes -
Fit artboard in window when opening an Illustrator document
Please have the file open as Fit Artboard in Window. Like it used to be. It is annoying to have to hit the shortcut, Command - 0 every time I open a file.
8 votes -
Local saves with Version control
We need an option to create a project file that cannot be saved over. The reason for this is that when working with a client who has many options, we sometimes need to step back in time or recover older versions from unexpected changes.
Similar to an Illustrator template file (.ait), we could have a format like .aiv or .aivi. This way, when I save flyer.aiv, every save will generate a backup file flyer-250204817.ai next to the current file.
It would also be useful to have an option in a settings pane to save a backup every other save and…
4 votes -
Allow dragging multiple selected layers from one file to another
Allow dragging multiple selected layers from one Illustrator file to another (as in Photoshop) w/o exporting them or needing to depend on Paste Remember Layers, but let the drag behavior drop the layered artwork into the other file with a Paste in Place feature.
3 votes -
Support for ARIA in SVG (accessibility)
There are a couple of requests for improvements to SVG export, which is sorely needed. One important aspect of this is accessibility.
SVG use is increasing, and accessibility requirements are being mandated in jurisdictions around the globe.
There will be a growing need for people to produce accessible SVG files.
This calls for supporting ARIA roles states and properties, and some way to indicate tabindex.
A number of constraints can be imagined to prevent people doing the wrong thing (e.g. if you put tabindex=0 on a non-operable element), but the basic functionality is far more basic.
Select object.
Open…5 votes -
A standalone preset migration tool to allow for quicker setting migration and recovery in the event of a re-installation.
Settings are regularly changed/updated and need to be rolled out to all users in a short amount of time in our environment. As such, a tool that will quickly copy/paste from one location to the app preset folders would be ideal. Swatches is a key example of this.
The build in tool that comes with Illustrator fails more often than not and thus is something we do not use. Ideally, we'd like to see something a user can double click/execute on their own to update these files.
3 votes -
Add Option to Save Both Editable and Outlined Text PDFs Simultaneously
As a graphic designer, I often need to provide clients with both editable and outlined text versions of my work. Currently, this requires manually saving two separate files: one with editable text and another with text converted to outlines.
I propose adding a feature in Adobe Illustrator's "Save As PDF" dialog that allows users to check an option like:
"Would you like to save two versions of this file? (Editable text and Outlined text)"
Upon selection, Illustrator would automatically generate:
filename_editable.pdf
filename_outlined.pdf
This enhancement would streamline the workflow, reduce the risk of errors, and save valuable time for designers.
…
3 votes -
automatic trapping plug-in would be a great step forward.
An automatic trapping feature, or a plug-in to that effect, would be of great convenience when submitting files for output.
1 vote -
Open Current File Location
It would be amazing if you add Open Current File Location under the "File" dropdown.
It is a really minor thing, but it would significantly impact productivity.
2 votes -
Stop the over Writing of SVG vs Illistrator File saves
I work with a laser cutter which uses SVG files. Whenever I SaveAs "svg" the file/program I'm working on now turns into said svg save.
Id like it to stay as it's Illustrator file self so once I'm done making edits I can just save as normal. Currently when ever I save as an SVG I have to go Save As again and overwrite/replace the Illustrator file I'm working on. I've ran into issues before where if I do this too many times it sort of corrupts the ability to save as a SVGs.
Would like the feature where…
1 vote -
Offline Patch download (msp file)
I hate calling this a "new idea". We have offline systems running the "FRL" versions of Acrobat Std and Illustrator. There is a patch site (though hard to find) to download the offline msp updater for acrobat. I was just instructed via support chat that an offline patch doesn't exist for illustrator, and that I have to go back into my admin console and generate a new package installer to bring on. That's a lot of extra work for something as simple as patching.
4 votes -
Update links manually
Illustrator is constantly reading linked files, checking for changes. This is normally not a problem, but when the network is slow for any reason (like if you're working remotely over VPN) AI becomes unusable. Simple text changes become an ordeal as every time you switch tools or click anywhere, you have to wait for a minute or two as the links do... whatever they're doing. A simple panel-level option to turn off automatic link updates would make working remotely (which some say is the way of the future) much less painful.
3 votes -
Export selected only
Would like to see an "EXPORT SELECTED ONLY" option, so that you can export just a selection of items from a file with many elements. Really a pain to have to copy the items I want to export, and paste them into a new file in order to export them.
8 votesThere is File > Export Selection command in Illustrator now, that adds a selection as an asset into Asset Export panel and opens Export for Screens dialog immediately.
-
Show a progress bar for 'export for screens' when it's taking a little while
Maybe it's just me making absolutely pathological files (7k paths that expand to 72k paths and 6k images) but sometimes 'export for screens' can take a while. And I just wanna close the file and get on with my life but I can't until it's done, and I'd like to know how long it's gonna take.
Maybe pop up a progress bar at the top of the screen along with the "this is saving in the background and will close when it's done" grey box? Or maybe just, well, pop up a traditional window with a progress bar that's not…
3 votes -
Would like to be able to entries in the Appearance Panel and perform Pathfinder functions to them
Example: Select 2 strokes in the appearance panel, one transformed some distance from the other, and apply the pathfinder Unite function (Fx) and have them become functionally one entry on one layer of the selected object. This could eliminate some what are sometimes complicated procedures when outputting files to various RIP/machines/printers.
2 votesYou can group objects first and then apply an additional stroke to this group using the Appearance panel
-
Illustrator file not movable
If i make an Illustrator file (cc 2019) , and say place it in the desktop folder, if i move that file to the documents folder, open it and change it, it saves the new version on the dekstop again.
is this a bug or a feature i dont know of?
2 votesIt’s a common behavior for all files and all editors out there, not only Illustrator.
When you 'open' a file, the editor reads it and 'hold in its mind', making a virtual copy basically. When you save it, it writes it back the disk, to the location where it was read from. Illustrator does not track what the OS does with the file, and OS never tells Illustrator that a user moved the file elsewhere, or deleted.
An editor can lock the file, so nothing can move or delete or rename it, but this method causes more troubles and frustration. It’s safer to never let the data to get lost.
-
Fix Heavy Shaded PDF Import Error
Illustrator is reporting an issue while importing heavy shaded PDF files from CAD Software ArchiCAD. Error Message in Attached File. The PDF which triggers the error is also attached.
1 vote -
Version History - a couple feature requests
I sorta like the new version history option. It's at least kinda a step towards the history panel so many people want. There are a couple of features that I think would improve it. (If these already exist and I'm missing them can you teach me where they are?)
My first request is adding an option to save at anytime you choose. This only saves every 5 minutes. Say I make a bunch of changes in only 3 minutes. I'd then have to wait 2 minutes for it to create a save point before I could choose to revert to…
5 votes -
Render performance problem with missing links
If you have a document with missing links then Illustrator show proxy images instead of originals. But when I want to work similar files then display performance is bad. Pan, zoom very very slow.
I am working with Macbook Pro M1 Pro, Adobe Illustrator Version 27, 28 or 29. View using CPU or GPU same results.
2 votes
- Don't see your idea?