Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests
When entering a new feature request, please provide:
- Description
- Why is this valuable to you?
- or
950 results found
-
Option to define layer/ sublayer behavior
Every time I open an old file all the sub-layers are collapsed
Even though a lot of people wish for the option to auto collapse the sub-layers, I personally work a lot with them expanded.
Hence my wish to have the option to set the behavior of the layers with sub-layers either auto-opened or collapsed (or as saved like last edit)
5 votes -
Cloud file Versioning
I know this would be a huge lift, but cloud file versioning would be great. Beyond the obvious workflow advantages, it could facilitate working with cloud documents offline and syncing later without risking clobbering what's in there or attempting any sort of complex and error-prone diffing process.
1 vote -
Adding Rating file option to Save window
Please add option to rate file (1-5 stars) in file>save window to save time.
1 vote -
Close panel by a middle-click on its header
Middle-click today is a common gesture.
In browsers and file managers with tabs it allows to close a current tab.
There is a feature request to allows us to close tabs in Ai as well: https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/38150188-add-middle-click-to-close-documentBut I would also like to be able to close panel with a middle-click. Not collapse — this is what a left-click does — but just close the panel.
5 votes -
Allow to disable "Use Compression" option by default
The new change making 'Use Compression' a default setting under the Illustrator Options when saving new files has negatively impacted our team's productivity. We require full autonomy over our file settings and find the imposition of new defaults to be unnecessary. We strongly suggest reverting this to an opt-in feature so that professional users can maintain their established saving protocols without manual interference because compression sucks. Thank you!
2 votes -
Offer more control for managing Profile Mismatching per image
Profile mismatch alerts are given per each linked image, and the choices offered don’t allow to control this efficient enough.
Please give us these things:
1 - Ability to hide alerts in bulk
It would be helpful if, like with other features, there could be a checkbox option for “Apply this action to all future alerts” to handle this.2 - Clear indication of which image the alert is referring to
There may be cases where you’d want to fix a linked image with an irregular color setting, so the following detailed options might be useful:
— A “Details” button…1 vote -
Exhibition only file error when saving
After saving a file a few times, I start getting an error that says it is a visualization only file - even when I'm working on a new canvas I've just created. Why is it happening? How do I fix it? It disturbs me a lot, 'cause I need to save the file with a different name every time I get this error to proceed.
1 vote -
Adding Pages/Sheets like in Excel for better organization of large jobs
Adding Pages/Sheets like in Excel for better organization of large jobs. I work at a sign company and frequently come across large jobs that I would like to keep organized.
For example let's use a job I am on right now. It is a job for hospital signage. Over 500 signs in total and let's say 15 departments. Some departments have upto 20 signs. While artboards work well in this instance it would be nice if I could have the option to organize the departments with "sheets" instead of individual files. My reasoning behind this is when I have…
2 votes -
Remember printer settings with Print Presets
I have two sets of print settings-- ones that are program specific (Ex: created in Illustrator from the Print Presets window), and ones that are printer specific (Created in the Printer/Setup window within the Print dialog in Illustrator, InDesign, etc).
In InDesign, if I create a print preset and then, via the Printer window, select an in-printer preset, InDesign remembers this choice and from then on printing with that InDesign preset will ALSO use that in-printer preset. In illustrator, that's not the case: Illustrator retains no memory of in-printer presets when creating in-program profiles, so I have to…
2 votes -
4 votes
-
Modify the open dialog (icons views)
Modify the file open dialog when the view is one of the icons views so that it displays a thumbnail of the file itself rather than the generic AI icon. I frequently want to open an Illustrator file in a folder that contains LOTS of illustrator files ("Owl 15, Owl 16, etc). At that point I have to stop and bring up Bridge so I can see that the owl with the glasses is number 23. I'd open it with Bridge, but that doesn't work when Illustrator is already open. Maybe fix THAT bug while you're at it ;-)
1 vote -
Convert embedded images between different formats/compression schemes...
Currently, if I embed an image as a TIF, the resulting AI file will be larger than if I embed the same image as a JPEG. It would be nice if I could convert embedded images between file formats and have control over compression methods / levels so that I could convert the embedded TIF to something lighter in size such as a JPEG - all from within illustrator.
4 votes -
Synchronise tiled windows
I would like to have all tiled windows use the same panning and zoom settings as the window I am currently working in.
• How it's working now: each tiled window has its own zoom factor. Panning with the hand tool moves the view inside the active window.
• How it should work: zoom and panning are synched between all tiled windows. They all have the same zoom factor and X/Y position. If I zoom in the active window, all other windows zoom in as well; if I pan in one window, all other windows pan in the same manner.…
2 votes -
Author's metadata with new Illustrator file
Simplified way to add author to the file. Maybe even link to the CC account.
Sometime we have question from sales department Who made this file i found in my inbox? But we do not remember:) The simplest way of course is auhors metadata. It could be handled in a way color profiles are handled, or similar.1 vote -
Object > Path > Clean Up - change back to notification
Clean up used to tell you how many things it cleaned up (I believe?)
Now it says if it was unnecessary, but if it does clean up, doesn't say how many things it fixed. This was quite satisfying to know and also can help problem solve/clue to where the cleaned points were. If you are dealing with similar art files on a regular basis this could be useful information.1 vote -
Illustrator 28 no longer retains editable text fields used in Acrobat.
The company I work for often sends files that need to be filled out in Acrobat, but the art is edited in Illustrator. In Illustrator 27 there was no issue. I would edit the contents in Illustrator and then open in Acrobat to finish filling out the form. But as the subject line indicates, Illustrator 28 somehow removes these editable text fields set in Acrobat, making the file unusable for our customers.
This work flow is not our choice, it's a requirement from some of our customers.
1 vote -
Drag .otf or .ttf file into illustrator and it appears as a lorum ipsum text box on your artboard
Not sure if this is possible but how great would it be if you could drag a .otf or .ttf file (font) into illustrator and it automatically processed as a lorum ipsum text box.
2 votes -
When Draging a Item to New File, The preview of destination file is not showing up.
When Draging a Item to New File, The preview of destination file is not showing up. Only I can see the preview on current document
Illustrator Verison: 24.0
Laptop: Lenovo T540P running Windows 10 18363.4491 vote -
Export for screens: poor JPG compression and custom JPG settings
The compression and quality when "exporting for screens" in JPG is really bad compared to "Export for web".
- You cannot customize the quality of the JPG
- It embeds the color profile in the file, even if you have selected not to do so.
4 votes -
Layer freezing
When doing very complicated artwork, sometimes Illustrator's live preview starts to become impossibly slow. Distorted dense fill patterns, lots of art brushes full of translucent shapes, complicated high-res bitmap effects… I can do some stunning things with these but I’m reluctant to use them, because I need to have fast response time in my drawing tool.
Currently, layers can be locked, or unlocked. I would like to have a third mode: 'frozen', where the layer is locked, and a bitmap of the entire layer is cached. This bitmap is then used for rendering the preview, until such time as the…
5 votes
- Don't see your idea?