Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

577 results found

1. Right-click or Icon Shortcut for Refine Paragraph Styles

Editing type styles on the text element and then applying the style back to the master style is a familiar workflow to many of us especially coming from InDesign. I advocate Adobe add either a right-click option or icon for easy access to this ability.

Thanks

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Opentype + Glyphs UI Menu Preview

While the UI for Opentype is appreciably better than Indesign, there are still a few hinderances in the UI that make it painfully difficult to use and limits functionality. This could solved in one (hopefully easy) solution: PREVIEW TYPOGRAPHIC FEATURES

THE PROBLEM:
    Currently, you have to click the stylistic set to open a dropdown menu, once you’ve clicked a style, the dropdown disappears. To see another style you need to open the dropdown menu again and deselect the previous style you just selected. Open the dropdown menu again, and then select the next style.

THE SOLUTION:
    Opentype and Glyphs panels…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Please Warn when saving working file to PDF without AI edibility

I was working on a file for half the day - making layers, groups and text styles. I had it all the way I wanted it, ready to add some translated text tomorrow. I saved and closed, not realizing that the original file I opened was a PDF that had be saved without Illustrator editing.
    The result was that everything was collected into one layer with nested clipping paths, and all my carefully formatted text was broken apart. (a few random lines were even converted to outlines)
    Yes, it's my fault for not saving as AI at the start of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Perspective tool should work on ANYTHING.

You should be able to use the Perspective tool on ANYTHING. Many other packages allows you to put a perspective on editable text!! The same goes for Bitmap Images.... You should be able to but a box around ANYTHING and use the perspective tool on it. Why-O-Why do we have to convert text to curves to be able to put perspective on it??? Once it has perspective you Should be able to edit the text and keep the perspective on it!!!!

Illustrator is Still Way Behind Other Similar Packages...

Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Spellchecker exception

I work on thousands of Illustrator files, often just proofing or looking for errors. The addition of the spellchecker was great for speeding up my visual scan of the files, but...

It works as it should in area text, but if there is point text with forced line breaks, every word at the beginning of a line which is not capitalised gets flagged as an error which defeats my quick visual scan.

I've had to write an action to select all text, convert it to area text, and then remove paragraph breaks so that I can see…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Gradient following the curve of a shape

Don't know if this is an original idea but - is it possible to make an feature to make a gradient follow a user-drawn guideline (like with text on line)..? I tried to illustrate it in the attached file - the first shape is the one that should be filled with gradient, the second one is what we can do now (or mesh but that's a bit complicated) and the third one shows the guideline in purple and arrows that the gradient would follow. So the lower left part of the shape would be let's say darkest, the gradient would…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Gradients  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Provide Stroke Cap Corner & Alignment control in Character Styles

I'm working in Illustrator CC 22.1 and I can't control the Caps, Corners or Alignment options of Strokes in the Character Styles Palette and I really need to. Is there a way to do this that I haven't figured out or has this issue been addressed in the most recent version? Thanks, Emily

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. In actions, ability to copy a dimension from transform window and paste in a move command

In actions, the ability to copy a horizontal or vertical dimension from the transform palette so that it can be pasted in another command (usually move).
    For example, I'd like to be able (in an action) to copy the height of a selected object, then paste that elsewhere, such as move that distance, or create a rectangle with that measurement as one of the dimensions.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Actions  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. better selection

It would be nice if I did not have to 'click' on a symbol or text numerous times to select it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Update links manually

Illustrator is constantly reading linked files, checking for changes. This is normally not a problem, but when the network is slow for any reason (like if you're working remotely over VPN) AI becomes unusable. Simple text changes become an ordeal as every time you switch tools or click anywhere, you have to wait for a minute or two as the links do... whatever they're doing. A simple panel-level option to turn off automatic link updates would make working remotely (which some say is the way of the future) much less painful.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Share for review

It would be extremely helpful if there were a text-markup tool in Share for review just like in indesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 9-point magnetic object-to-grid (or-grid to-object) without smart guides

Could you consider a feature used in Esko Graphics (Artpro) for the placement of objects (9-point grid) to a crosshair or placing a crosshair to an object. This would expand current align and artboard functions into one clean and user friendly feature. Would also improve functions such as Mirror, Scale, Paste in place, copying to correct location across various files even if rulers are not set the same. For more details see: http://docs.esko.com/docs/en-us/artpro
    I can expand on this for you on request. Might answer a lot of similar requests into one new feature!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Export multiple Illustrator layers into Photoshop's PATH Palette, as multiple PATH layers, in one command

Instead of the current and ONLY way to bring a path from Illustrator to Photoshop (copy the layer in IL and paste it in PS, one by tedious one), how about an EXPORT IL LAYERS to PATHS PALETTE IN PS option in the dropdown? Or, if you can't do that, how about adding an option to save an IL file with a 'new' file extension (.pal?) which would open in PS with ALL the Illustrator layers intact, separate and distinct, AND STILL ALIGNED WITH EACH OTHER, in the Photoshop Paths Palette?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Problem with the Type menu > Change Case

Using change case will re format or strip[ the typeface and other attributes of the text! This is a bug, not a feature!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Please add automated color bar, separation color information - Print PDF output

Hi! I am missing a choice in PDF save or export. In the print industry is needed to add colour information for the customer, what colours is the artwork made from - esp. when we use solid colours. Customers need this for the approval process so we have to add this colour-bar manually. In the PDF (composite PDF) window there are Marks and Bleed choices, but there is missing a choice to choose a colour information automatically generated from the document colours - separations. The colour information can be graphical (squares with separation names) or text based (separation name in…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Moved and pasted objects keep thrown off by 0.0001 pixels

I'm trying to copy, paste, then merge items. However, the pixels keep getting thrown off by .0001 pixels. Even when I put it back in place, it moves back to .0001 px above or below the actual coordinate. I already spoke to a team that did not do anything about it. This has been costing me literally over 100 hours of wasted time. I now give up and can't sleep knowing my pixels are not rounded to the nearest desired coordinate. Somebody for the love of God fix the **** bug. It's super duper annoying, especially for the OCD and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Remap ⌥← and ⌥→ to jump back/ahead one word

Make ⌥← and ⌥→ default for jumping one word back and forth or respectively mark text when pressing "shift" as used to in Premiere Pro and by default on Mac. Same issue exists in Photoshop where these shortcuts are annoyingly used to adjust kerning.
    Source: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9919288
    System: Mac OS X 10.11.6, Adobe Illustrator 22.1, Adobe Photoshop 19.1

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Select a few words at the same time

I would like the ability to select single words at the same time in a document (helpful to put emphasis on words e.g. bolder text).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. The ability to rotate the entire workspace

Quite often I'm designing something that will be printed and folded, requiring parts of the artwork to be oriented upside down.

Have you ever tried to edit text or graphics while they're upside down? It's nearly impossible.

Please add a feature to illustrator that allows us to rotate the entire workspace, including all of the artboards and layers as one.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Blend objects aligned to path and keep bounding boxes at ends straight so they don't distort

Blend objects aligned to path and keep bounding boxes at ends straight so they don't distort. Have to make many long paths of wire shapes and to keep them aligned on the path the first and last keep distorting so I can't edit or reuse for a slightly different curve.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base