CC 2018: Objects on top of textframes are no longer selectable
I made a clear video to illustrate this (annoying) bug.
My colleague has not yet updated Illustrator and is using the latest 2017 version.
I have updated to 2018.
In the video you see:
- On notebook 1: I created a textfield with rectangle on top. I can select the textframe and the rectangle on top easily. They are on the same layer.
- On notebook 2: I did the exact same, but it has become impossible to select the rectangle.
I cannot imagine this is done on purpose.
I understand that I would not be able to select the rectangle if it was below the textframe, but not if it's on top....
Hope to hear from you
We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQ – https://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.
- Select the textfield
- Now try to select the rectangle on top. It's not possible.
If you do the same with rectangles, circles, embedded objects, whatever, it works fine.
I'd like to attach you the file that demonstrates this even better, how can I do that?
I understand what you mean, I should have explained myself better:
- Create a textfield, add an object (doesn't matter what) on top of it.
- Select the textfield first
- Now try to select the object on top of the textfield. It can't be done
- Illustrator 2017: You can select the object on top
- Illustrator 2018: You have to first de-select the textframe to be able to select any object on top.
This behavior in AI 2018 is inconsistent. Because..
- Create a rectangle
- Create a second rectangle on top of it, completely confined within the first.
- Select the first rectangle.
- Now try to select the second rectangle on top of it.
- You can perfectly select this second rectangle.