What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

New update (v23) crashes Illustrator consistently with Can't finish previewing or enough memory (RAM)

I'm working on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
3.5 HGz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Mem 64 GB
Graphics AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Since updating this morning, Illustrator has consistently crashed. At a random point, it switches to outline mode, and then a dialog box opens and states, "Cannot finish previewing" –– and then every time I try to switch out of outline-mode, it fails, and brings up the same dialog box, and I have seconds before it crashes altogether.

I'm able to still save and close the file. But when I try to re-open it, it says it does not have enough memory and that I can't open the illustration. When I quit Illustrator, and re-open it, then it works. Then the outline mode issue occurs, and I have to restart again. I'll try a CPU reboot to see if that helps.

NOTE: This issue happens on Microsoft Windows as well

584 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kyle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.1
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

391 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I get this message daily now and contact adobe every time. each technician does some file deletes and renames files. This issue is not resolved, surely with the amount paid for the software, this should be resolved already?!?!?! so frustrating, I'm loosing clients here because I cannot complete work!

I found this worked for me. I had all the same problems as stated plus really slow type work.
    I went in and threw out EVERY pref file for EVERY version of Illustrator I had. It seems legacy pref
    files are continued over. Let Illustrator rebuild a new prefs file. Reset all you pallets, etc. It's a pain in the **** but my Illustrator has been flying ever since. I will probably work with Photoshop and In Design also.
    I noted where the prefs files came from in BOTH system and User Library. Put in trash (Do Not Empty)
    Let Illustrator rebuild my prefs, restarted and when everything worked. emptied the trash. GOOD LUCK!

• CFanelli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been having numerous issues with Illustrator 2019 in all of it's iterations. All of the big issues I'm having, which I'm also seeing on forums as marked Completed, are still present in v23.0.3. I cannot get anything done.

Running:
    High Sierra 10.13.6
    iMac 2017, 3.5 Ghz i5, 32GB
    Radeon Pro 575 4GB

This is ridiculous and unacceptable...Come on Adobe!!!

• Amma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just had this issue happen on my iMac. Can't even trace more than two lines before it says "cannot finish previewing". I have more than enough Ram, so I don't get it....it worked fine yesterday!

true!fixes updates crushes. these software are overpriced compare to the quality.

• Fraser Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue still exists in 23.03 (among many, many others). These latest builds of illustrator are a complete balls up - and do not deserve the costly subscriptions. Have reverted to CC 2017 as that works infinitely better.

Just had this issue occur over the past few days, updated to the latest version tonight (23.0.3), but it's still happening.

• Pezku commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still struggling. Old files won´t open properly, or at all. "Can´t finish previewing" is always on screen. Sudden crashes occur when opening larger files. CPU at full. Fans yelling. Do something or lose my tiny payments for Vectorworks instead. ****** ****.

• Tatiana Piot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey,

I do have the problem too. My illustrator crashes 15 times a day.
    I op en 1 vectorfile and is takes 230GB of memory.

Illustrator CC 23.0.3 ( updated to his ons, because it said this will fix it )
    MacIS Mojave 10.14.4
    3,2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Mac mini 2018
    32GB memory

What's the latest new about this bug?

• Gregory Yiannaki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, i have this problem too.

My configuration :

illustrator CC 23.03
    mac OS mojave 10.14.4
    iMac 21.5 inch late 2013 - 3,1 Ghz Core i7

my configuration :

illustrator CC 23
    mac OS mojave 10.14.3
    macbookpro 15-inch 2018 - 2,2 Ghz Core i7

Same Issue. Please get this fixed Lads ! Plenty of votes now and frequent comments on the issue.

This worked for me: Edit > Preferences > Performance > GPU Performance (deselect)
    ...although it shouldn't have to be this way.

Thanks to Anonymous on 3/19/2019

• Fernando Zamora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

illustrator 23.0.3 continually crashing opening some illustrator files, if they have a missing font. this is incredibly frustrating

I've had the same issue with Illustrator as well. I'm on version 23.0.1.

I have not solved the problem, but I've found a workaround to prevent this (at least it worked for me, YMMV) - I also have not read every comment, so this may have already been said.

Edit > Preferences > Performance > GPU Performance (deselect)

Hopefully this works for you as it did for me!

I still have this issue Adobe and it's frustrating.

I have reinstalled twice and it started "Can't Open Illustration" started popping in my 22.1
    Now i have the 2019 CC and the problem hasn't been fixed.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Feedback and Knowledge Base