What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

New update (v23) crashes Illustrator consistently with Can't finish previewing or enough memory (RAM)

I'm working on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
3.5 HGz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Mem 64 GB
Graphics AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Since updating this morning, Illustrator has consistently crashed. At a random point, it switches to outline mode, and then a dialog box opens and states, "Cannot finish previewing" –– and then every time I try to switch out of outline-mode, it fails, and brings up the same dialog box, and I have seconds before it crashes altogether.

I'm able to still save and close the file. But when I try to re-open it, it says it does not have enough memory and that I can't open the illustration. When I quit Illustrator, and re-open it, then it works. Then the outline mode issue occurs, and I have to restart again. I'll try a CPU reboot to see if that helps.

NOTE: This issue happens on Microsoft Windows as well

589 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kyle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.1
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

393 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Da Aldana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I've been having the exact same problem since I upgraded to Illustrator CC 2019. What should I do to fix it?

• Kyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks, Henrik. I'm also in communication with Anish Kumar and Ashutosh Gupta about it. Hopefully we can get this resolved and get Illustrator working tip-top sooner than later. Otherwise, I just have to work with quitting, and re-opening files in 10-15 minute increments before it crashes again.

• Thalion Graff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

macOS Mojave 10.14
    27in, late 2013 iMac
    3.4GHz intel core i5
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Illustrator V23

Getting "Can't finish previewing." Message, everything goes to outlines can't make new document or open any files says out of ram.

Only program running is illustrator. Happens about ever 15 to 20 minutes. I have submitted numerous error reports.

• Maarten M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue. Illustrator 23.0, masOS Mojave version 10.14, iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch late 2015.

Randomly, about once every few hours the preview stops with the error "Can't finish previewing.".

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Win10 user... after AI23 update, constant AI freezes and crashes. I can't get 3-5 minutes through working on a file where this doesn't continue to reoccur. Same issues as everyone else has been reporting. weird screen redraw stuff happens, then AI flips to wireframe mode and locks up. Usually followed by a crash, sometimes, it;s hung up in a process that never resolves. I've turned GPU rendering OFF in my preferences, still experiencing it. PLEASE RESOLVE ASAP, it's killing my work productivity.

• Henrik Smeds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello everyone. I will have a connected meeting with Adobe staff to try reproduce the crash. Later this afternoon or maybe tomorrow morning (CET). I'll keep you posted ...

• Alyse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been experiencing the exact same things since updating.

• Prateek Gupta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1. High Sierra (macOS 10.13.3) with 16GB RAM.
    2. While working on Illustrator It automatically convert my artwork into outline mode and showing not enough memory (RAM).

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since upgrading from CC 21.1.0 (2017) to CC 23.0 (2019) I am getting constant memory errors, including "Can't finish previewing." and "The operation cannot complete because there isn't enough memory (RAM) available.

This issue is new to 23.0 and wasn't there in 21.1.0.

I'm on an i7 iMac 5K with 32GB RAM running Mac OS 10.14.

Going to have to downgrade back to 2017 until this issue is resolved.

• Gavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have exactly the same issue, please let me know if there is a way to fix it!

• Max Chionh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me too. And it is very frustrating to have to keep saving, quitting and reopening my work files.

• Adam R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue. Coming more and more frequently. Basically nothing on the artboard and same bug.

• Eric E. Dolecki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am getting this consistently as well. I had zero problems with the previous version, but I get this about every 10 minutes using 23.0. I've tried all kinds of things (quitting all other apps, making sure scratch disks are set correctly, etc.) No avail. I think there is a significant bug here. Only solution is to quit and relaunch Illustrator.

This issue also may have something to do with server access. When I'm connected to my work server, the issue persisted. After I disconnected, I haven't had the error occur even once. I'm wondering if Illustrator is looking at network access for something.

Just now, however, the same error occurred. I can only say that it took much longer for the error to occur this go-around. Still persists, though.

Thanks, Anon. I'm not settling yet, we'll see if it fixes after installing Mojave. Thanks for letting me know it's still not working for you. I'll stay alert for the issue.

Feedback and Knowledge Base