What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

New update (v23) crashes Illustrator consistently with Can't finish previewing or enough memory (RAM)

I'm working on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
3.5 HGz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
Mem 64 GB
Graphics AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Since updating this morning, Illustrator has consistently crashed. At a random point, it switches to outline mode, and then a dialog box opens and states, "Cannot finish previewing" –– and then every time I try to switch out of outline-mode, it fails, and brings up the same dialog box, and I have seconds before it crashes altogether.

I'm able to still save and close the file. But when I try to re-open it, it says it does not have enough memory and that I can't open the illustration. When I quit Illustrator, and re-open it, then it works. Then the outline mode issue occurs, and I have to restart again. I'll try a CPU reboot to see if that helps.

NOTE: This issue happens on Microsoft Windows as well

590 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kyle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.1
Please refer to our knowledge base FAQhttps://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in update.
Or get in touch with us at any of the other support channels – https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html

Warm Regards,
Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator
Adobe. Make It an Experience.

393 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We updated to 23.0.2 as suggested and illustrator continues to crash regularly.
    Please advise.
    Dan

• Alec Jacobson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure why this is marked as completed. Updating Illustrator did not help...

I might have stumbled on a solution when I ran into a permissions issue updating homebrew. The solution was to issue (on the command line via Terminal.app):

sudo chown -R $USER ~/Library/Caches/

Suddenly Illustrator started working correctly again. Looks like there was a ~/Library/Caches/Adobe folder that this command was also resetting the permissions of, so maybe that accidentally fixed it. Not sure how the permissions got screwed up. Maybe this is apple's fault (probably!).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Latest update has left Illustrator completely unusable on my 2016 MBP. Can't even drag a single rectangle on a blank document without my entire system locking up. Something is VERY wrong.

Using my brand new 2018 MacBook Pro with 32GB memory, I am getting these freezes frequently with very simple files (using most recent AI).

Why is this marked "resolved"?

• Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problems with the 2019 version does not exist with the 2018 version. I re-downloaded the 2018 version and got rid of the messed up 2019 version that never worked for me. Only solution that worked for me to be able to use Illustrator.

In case you're wondering, this is still a huge problem—I FEEL LIKE I'M TAKING CRAZY PILLS!!

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the latest version and cannot open a file I created yesterday because of this bug.

"Resolved." I do not think it means what you think it means.

Every time I try to open a file I get the error message saying not enough memory, which is absolute BS as I have 32 GB of memory. I tried opening multiple different files and still get the same error message. FIX THIS NOW PLEASE!!!!

I updated and it did not fix the issue. Suddenly can't open most of my illustrator files. Stuck doing nothing at work

• victor okonkwo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm switching back to Corel adobe is really disappointing me y'all are really not serious with maintenance you just keep bringing new versions without proper maintenance I haven't been able to deliver for 2 days now.....

• Dylan Valentine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adobe Illustrator 2019 is the worst update I've ever seen in my life. How much money is everyone paying you for this garbage?

This issue HAS NOT been fixed. I have updated to the most recent version and still having this problem.
    It is absolutely absurd that this persists. It has stalled my progress on projects and has impeded my progress on projects with upcoming deadlines.
    FIX THE ISSUES!!!!

• M. Hart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem has NOT been fixed. I've had to revert to CC 2018. We pay too much money to have these problems! FIX IT!

• Lieve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the latest version CC installed this month. Worked hours today on an illustration, now lost my files after a crash like the one other users mentioned earlier. Very frustrating !

• Erick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tengo el mismo error, tuve que desinstalarlo y colocar la versión 2018. Van muchos días con este problema.

I am having RAM problems with the 2019 update as well. I am on the latest version and it's worse than ever.
    Illustrator just keeps crashing, telling me there isn't enough RAM to display the artwork, or that ridiculous "There is not enough room for the window; increase document area and try again." thing. Manually dragging the window to make it bigger doesn't work, as if I try to open another file it shrinks again, and shows the same message.
    A couple of times it wouldn't even restart after a crash, or it would restart just to crash immediately again.
    This is totally unacceptable considering how much the software is worth.

Back to my trusted Corel.
    Had to switch to Illustrator cause other team-members work on it, bought a subscription to CC but I am done. I need to work and deliver.
    It's a joke, 2 days now not to be able to have 2 files open as the software shuts down.

Feedback and Knowledge Base