What can we fix in Illustrator? Vote for or report a bug.

XD and PS defaults to open .ai files - AI files should open with Illustrator only

Working in windows 10. After updating XD and Illustrator to 2019, all my existing .ai files have been defaulted to open in XD. I can use the "Open With" option to successfully open .ai files in Illustrator but the default always stays with XD no matter how many times I select Illustrator.

Uninstalled XD. AI files cannot locate Illustrator as primary software for launch.

NOTE:
Edited by Adobe Staff to generalise the issue.

65 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ryan K shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have this issue fixed, please refer to steps below to solve the issue

XD defaulting to AI on Windows
    -——————————————————————

• Please update to latest version of XD (13.1.32) to resolve the issue. Thank you XD engineering team for solving this issue.

PS defaulting to AI on MAC
    -——————————————————————

• Please update to latest version of Illustrator (23.0.1) to solve this issue.

49 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

Same problem. The XD icon doesn't appear anymore and the icon remains white. No Illustrator icon ant I still have to select an application by double-cliking or by "open with"

Yes, like Rafael, running Illustrator 23.0.1 on Windows and still can't set Illustrator as default program for .ai files. Please fix!

• Rafael de Angelo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On my computer the issue isn't 100% fixed.
        The option to choose Illustrator now appears, but I still have to select 'Open With' every single time I want to open AI files.

• Dan Bennett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi All,

I experienced this but have fixed it. I read it in another forum somewhere. You have to hit Command and I to get the info window up, then find open with.... select illustrator 2019 and then hit change all

• Peterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On Mac, my .ai files were all openning on photoshop, never in illustrator.
        For now, the solution was uninstalling Photoshop CC update, getting V19.1.6 again and the same with Illustrator, retrieving to version 22.1. With the older version reinstalled, the Mac Os could set Illustrator as default to .ai again.
        I guess I will wait a little more before updating softwares next time.

In Mac, my .ai files were all openning on photoshop, never in illustrator.
        For now, the solution was uninstalling Photoshop CC update, getting V19.1.6 again and the same with Illustrator, retrieving to version 22.1. With the older version reinstalled, the Mac Os could set Illustrator as default to .ai again.
        I guess I will wait a little more before updating softwares next time.

• hayley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ugh this is a huge problem!!! Using a Windows 10 computer at work. Ai files want to open in XD. Smart objects in Photoshop want to open in XD. Tried resetting the default apps but not working!

• Geo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ashutosh Chaturvedi

Any update? More than two weeks since the issue has been reported. It's making it impossible to work with smart objects.

AI 23.0 and Photoshop 20.0.0 installed— AI files open in Photoshop by default. (2017 Macbook Pro running Mojave 10.14)

• Nick Spence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When Illustrator version 23 is installed, it is not updating the registry to version 23 but leaving it at version 22. Windows then does not know what file type to associate it with, and typically chooses XD. It will not allow a change of file association in control panel or using the always use ....

Manually changing the file association in the registry of ai to 23 seems to solve solve the problem. Personally, I had to also then change the file association in control panel (which I could then do), but an associate here did not.

• Kristen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am on a Mac and my .ai files all open in Photoshop even when I change to "always open with". When I try to edit a vector layer in photoshop it shows "import PDF" box . I use this a ton for work and it is EXTREMELY inconvenient and frustrating! Is there any fix for this?

After last update CC 2019, .ai files are not opening by double click on Mac.

Even with Macos dialog box checked correctly. In this way, when I try to open an Photoshop SmartObject, for example, it opens only on Photoshop, never in Illustrator.

• E Held commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you CJ Keller! That was so frustrating, but now the problem is fixed.

• CJ Keller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had the same problem. I fixed by selecting an .ai file. and getting information (Command I on Mac). Under "Open with" I changed to Adobe Illustrator CC 2019. Then hit the "Change All" button and it did the trick. Now allow my .ai files open in Illustrator when I double click on them.

• m commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same problem here. It's very inconvenient.

• heatherjamescomau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Guys Ever since the last major update, my Illustrator files will not stay associated to Illustrator. They started out as a Dimensions association then I tried to change it to AI but it would not change from XD and it will not change no matter what I do. It has to be because of the last major Adobe update. Any tips?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base