Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Bugs

When reporting a bug, please provide a detailed description with the following:

1. Details of your operating system
  2. The version of Adobe Illustrator (desktop) 
  3. The steps you were taking when you experienced the issues
  4. Your expected result and the actual result
  5. Upload your Illustrator file or a video (screen recording or gif, this helps us most to reproduce the issue and resolve it)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1119 results found

1. Adobe Illustrator did not save and included my link files. Those files were not embedded.

Usually, to prevents lost files, I will save and checked the "include link files". However, now this feature isnt working. I tried several times but the files in my Ai hasnt been embedded. It is very annoying because I will need to embed all the files manually. Please FIX this

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Acrobat DC PDF file has a difference spot color name than the same PDF imported into Illustrator

1. A production file was created in Illustrator CC 2017 (21.1.0) Windows 7 and saved as a PDF for print.
    2. The file needed editing and when opened again in CC 2018 (22.1.0) on Windows 10, one of the spot color names in illustrator is different from the PDF file.
    3. File-open repeats the issue, but File- Place imports the correct spot color name.
    4. Not only did the spot color name change but the text underneath a color call out, we do use Tortoise SVN software which could be part of the issue. Why would illustrator read that file differently than Acrobat DC?
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. "Save for Web (Legacy)" defaults to some arbitrary folder (on Win10)

Whenever I do a "Save for Web (Legacy)" the first time in an Illustrator session, it defaults to some arbitrary location that has nothing to do with... well, anything. I think it might have been the location I used the first time I issued the command under Illustrator 22.0, but that was months ago, so I can't say for sure.

If I choose a different directory and save my images/slices there, that's becomes the new default directory for the remainder of that Illustrator session. But if I exit and restart Illustrator, it's back to defaulting to a location that makes…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. SVG href property exports incorrectly

When illustrator exports SVGs, it sometimes will use the href property to reference something like an embedded image or gradient from the <defs>, which is reasonable. Docs for the href property here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/href

However, safari does not support href yet, and will completely drop the reference, making SVGs widely render incorrectly in safari, up to the latest version. In order to make them work properly, the deprecated xlink:href property must also be used, docs below:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/xlink:href

All bases can be covered by including both the href and xlink:href properties, until all modern browsers have fully adopted the SVG2 spec.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Text not read when opening EMF file

I am running Adobe Illustrator CC version 22.1 on Windows. When I open the attached .emf file, the text elements in the file are omitted. You can see what the file should look like by opening it in MS Paint. The expected behavior is for Illustrator to import all elements, including the text.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Strange Distort Upon Export

Please see the following thread for the full breakdown: https://forums.adobe.com/message/10450879#10450879

Stange bug that appears to happen when exporting to JPG and PNG causing the artwork to distort randomly!

System and Adobe up to date, computer and Illustrator was restarted to no effect and using Macbook Pro 13 inch 2015.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. excel

Trying to copy/paste a graph from Excel to Illustrator (or open a PDF from excel). Sometimes it pastes fine as vector shapes, but other times a complex graph paste as pixelated images(the lines still paste as vector lines though). For example instead of pasting a cluster of circles, it pastes a cluster of pixelated circle shapes with a mask....Why doesn't it just paste as vector circle shapes as usual? Is the graph too complex? What are my options?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. updated eps files no longer preview

Running Mac OS 10.13.5, Illustrator CC 22.1

When opening an existing eps file, I make a change to the file and then save. Then, when importing that file into ID, the image will not preview, and I just get a gray box. This also happens if I do a "save as" and overwrite the old file with the same name. However, if I choose "save a copy," the file previews fine. Help?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Can't Export Png File

Hello,

I am trying to export my illustration in png at 300 dpi, but everytime it is showing me the attached error. It's not with this file only. Even if I am trying to export a simple rectangle, I am getting the same error. I am using windows 8.1 pro and illustrator version is 2018.

Kindly help.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Export fails for path item with pattern stroke

Using File -> Export -> Save for Web or File -> Export -> Export For Screens (at scale greater than 1x) will give an error: "Could not complete this operation. An unknown error has occurred". This error only occurs when this particular item is visible and involved in the area to be exported.
    See attached file and screenshots including that of mentioned path item.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Failure to Generate opaque color on shape layering

WinOS10

When working in illustrator the artwork appears correct. When I go to export contents to jpeg illustrator incorrectly generates a semi-transparent result when I look at the jpeg file. This is incorrect and I'm claiming this as a bug since I don't see this when rendered in illustrator. The result does not match rendered image.

Example 1 is a snip of a portion of the image from inside illustrator. Note that the shape lettering is opaque as expected. When I go to export to a jpeg I end up with a shape that is now semi-transparent...a big no-no.

Please…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. "Save as SVG" exports mojibake-parttern-ID when it contains CJK character

Illustrator CC 2018 (v22.1) on Windows 7

When I save the attached document as SVG in any setting, the stripe patterns had gone completely. I checked up the exported SVG file and noticed the pattern ID defines itself correctly, but actual tag id referenced by "xlink:href" attribute is a wrong mojibake-ID.

And I know this will not happen when use "Export for Screen". It export correctly, but not scriptable. I think it very strange...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. missing id in exported svg

When I export the attached .ai file to svg, the result does not contain the id of the r14 rectangle.
    Before you say "well just add it in manually", please consider that this is a simplified version and that the real thing would contain dozens, even hundreds of objects.
    Note that I am not using the artboard. The idea is to use this svg to be animated by the GreenSock javascript library.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks a lot Francis for filing the issue. Please feel free to open a new issue if you should experience the issue again or another one.

Greetings,
    Dirk

14. Changing size in export doesn't change size

When exporting files via Save As, if I change the size, it doesn't update the actual export size until I do something else, like toggle the clip to artboard on and off or change from optimize for Art to for type. This has been a persistent error across versions of Illustrator and MacOS for some time.

Once you hit tab to leave that portion of the export dialogue, it should update without any additional steps.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Illustrator CC 2018 for Mac Hangs up When Reading an EPS File

Illustrator CC 2018 for Mac hangs up when I attempt to read the attached EPS file. I have been using Illustrator to read this type of EPS file for years with no difficulties. I have to force-quit Illustrator to continue. I attach a sample file that hangs up Illustrator on my system. Just in case you need to know, my system has all updates installed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Unable to create bitmaps in photoshop. They are corrupted and appear solid black in the preview window. The bitmaps print as solid black whe

Unable to create bitmaps in photoshop CC 2018. They are corrupted and appear solid black in the preview window. The bitmaps print as solid black when printed from a CC illustrator 2018 file. I always thought that bitmaps were compatible with illustrator.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Open file that is already open deletes unsaved changes without prompt

If a document is already open and have changes that aren't saved and the user accidently opens the same file, the file closes without giving the user a chance to save changes...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. When importing .psd files just saved they appear as colorful bitmap gibberish

Multiple time and duplicated by co-worker. I will create a .psd file, save then when placed, they appear in Illustrator as "Op Art", a colorful nonsensical bitmap. I have to entirely close out of the program to correct. These files are fine in previews, bridge and in Photoshop/ Also fine once Illustrator regains sobriety.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Illustrator 22.1 doesn't store version information in the metadata

In previous versions of Illustrator I could view which version of Illustrator a file was saved as, and the version that created it, in 'Get info' in the Mac finder. For example: 'Version: Saved As v.15 Created by v.22.0.1'. This info now isn't saved with the file as shown on the attached screenshots. For us this was a very useful for checking what version a file had been saved for.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. When Exporting .ai to .png getting white lines in all designs.

Have tried every method including saving as tiff,jpg and pdf. lines remain.This is not one design but several.Ruined 2 months of work.Have been doing these for long time and using CS6 for over two years and now suddenly this.Ideas? of a workaround?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base