Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests
When entering a new feature request, please provide:
- Description
- Why is this valuable to you?
- or
950 results found
-
Cannot key in units like cm, mm, etc.
Hi,
In the most recent update that I have, 22.1, the ability to resize an artboard by typing in a number and its unit has been removed. Was this intended? Please restore this function as it makes working with various units more convenient. Thank you.2 votes -
Issue with Hidden Layers Exporting in PNG Format
Hello. I am experiencing an issue with Illustrator when exporting my files to PNG format using artboards. Specifically, the exported PNG includes layers that are hidden and not displayed on the screen at the time of export. This issue does not occur when I export all the artwork or only selected artworks.
Here are the details:
Software Version: 29.3.1
Operating System: Windows 11 24H2
Steps to Reproduce:
Open the Illustrator file.
Hide certain layers.
Export the file to PNG format using artboard and have transparent background.
Check the exported PNG file.
Despite hiding the layers before exporting, they still appear…3 votes -
Save for Web dialog does not remember all customized settings
We create web posting formats of figures in Illustrator and my customized settings do not save. Why do we have the option of Save Settings....when they do not save?
File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy) > Name > Custom setting named and save.
The Custom setting retains one of the defaults, in my case PNG-24, but does not retain any numerical measurements that IO enter beneath it.
We save many files with the same specs for our web posts. Why do I have a custom option to Save Settings when they only save a default. What's the point?…
5 votes -
Last used script
Please, add a command inside File > Scripts (above the line) to execute last accessed script. A have tons of these and not all of them are bound to shortcuts and smarty palettes. Sometimes I have to apply same script several times and have to dig in all 4-5 folders inside to get right one.
And, please, make it shortcut-able.
22 votes -
Create design oriented PDF forms
It would be very helpful to have an option of creating PDF forms in Illustrator.
Creating forms in Acrobat PRO is very clunky for anyone who needs more design oriented features. It would allow graphic designers to create editable PDF templates for products such as cards, invitations etc. Such templates are in a high demand, people want to purchase files that can be edited with ease and there are no good options for creating them.Such feature would also be very helpful in InDesign for catalogs, brochures, anything with multiple pages.
5 votes -
Split paths by currently applied dash settings
Hi - I was directed here via adobe and illustrator support teams on twitter.
I'm submitting a suggestion for a function or feature for adobe illustrator in which the user may subdivide a dashed path into individual smaller paths, by the measurement and placement of said dash style. I have seen many different suggestions and workarounds for this over the past few years but none actually execute this specific action. (Setting to .0001 stroke, expanding, then deleting excess points isn't ideal!)
In my current role, and in our office, we design and create physical package design comps. we frequently use…
36 votes -
Remove Export Size Limit for PDF (200") or at least match it with the current maximum artboard size
I have designed a 206 Feet Wide banner Designed at 1:12 Scale (206") in illustrator, I am Literally Unable to Send it for Printing, Because i Can't Export it to PDF because its Exceeding 200"...
Illustrator itself can't design something Greater than 227 Inches, While more WORST thing is the Export to PDF file Size Limit, which is currently set to 200". Why to Leave Scaling on Printer RIP, Why Not send a Print Ready File. So if there's something wrong, we could catch and fix it, rather get it Printed.
The problem can be with the Repeated Background Pattern,…
22 votes -
More Detail in Font Find/Replace - Include Details to Assist Tracking Down Correct Font
When working with files that reference missing fonts, sometimes it is necessary to find the exact font but there is little to go on other than the font name displayed. If font information was stored such as version, type of font (TrueType, OpenType, Type-1, etc...), foundry, version, date, etc...it would make it far more efficient to track down the correct font.
For example, when working with product labels, etchings or logos often it is necessary to use the exact font to maintain consistency in manufactured products. Having little more to go on than a name makes it extremely difficult. This…
7 votes -
Links finder.
Chciałbym żeby możliwe było przeszukiwanie określa onej ścieżki w poszukiwaniu zagubionych linków. Tak samo jak jest w programie blender.
File > External data > Find missing files.
W illustratorze chiciałbym, żeby było podobnie.
2 votes -
Feature Request: Preference for Copy and Duplicate Layers without auto renaming and adding "copy" to them
Hi Adobe 🙂
I make large Illustrator files that have lots of layers, and often I find myself copying a layer that has a ton of sublayers. I spend way too much time renaming the copied layers removing the word "copy" or "copy 3" etc from the sublayer names.
I have found some workarounds, if this helps anyone. If I want to copy a layer called **, I will copy it, then rename it XXXz then paste and the new pasted layer is ** without the name copy, then I can go back and remove the z from the…
5 votes -
Smart Object like in Photoshop
Smart object for illustrator will be a nice feature. Also it will be awesome if both photoshop and illustrator can work with smart object. Currently, photoshop can handle (automatically convert files to smart object when placed, imported, copied in photoshop) vector/raster objects copied from illustrator document. But for some reason, illustrator doesn't have that feature. Would love to see smart objects/group in illustrator.
Thank you Adobe.
4 votes -
Dragging from Bridge to Illustrator
Change the standard file-placement behaviour from Bridge to Illustrator so that it places the contents of the AI file (rather than a PDF or a PNG).
Say you've got a local library of picture elements, and you're browsing it in Bridge; you need to bring those elements into a currently open AI file. What do you do?
The obvious thing is to use Bridge like a library navigator, and simply drag the ai file into your composition. However, you can't;What actually happens is you get a PNG file; if you shift-drag you get a PDF file; both are useless.
And…
5 votes -
Create Droplets like in Photoshop
Illustrator has actions and even a "Batch" for actions. However doesn't seem to be a "Create Droplet" option like Photoshop.
This would be very useful for people who need to do repetitive tasks (in my case a quick and dirty Image Trace on multiple files very often)
3 votes -
Placing a multi-page PDF
It would be great if we were able to place a multipage PDF instead of each link clicking through the finder window to the same file and going through the PDF pages one at a time again and again to place them in a document.
19 votes -
In version 24.02 problems with the file information
Hello, in Illustrator version 24.02 I have problems with the file information. Now the title is not saved anymore, I always have to enter it afterwards via Bridge. Also the creation date is no longer saved in the EPS files. When I enter this via Bridge, I always get an error message: "There is a problem with the file. "
It would be great if you could change this.
Gabi
1 vote -
Save Illustrator and PDF at the same time
I usually save my original Illustrator file and save a PDF for proofing purposes; but usually I make updates to the illustrator file; so I have to save it again as PDF; I think it would be cool to add a check box to the save window asking you if you would like to update your PDF reflecting the updated changes on the Illustrator file.
14 votes -
Allow us to choose a preferable file format on Export or keep the last chosen one
Please create a hotkey for the "Export as" function. It would also be nice if I could set AI to always remember my preferred filetype instead of always defaulting to png.
11 votesLatest Illustrator builds now remember the chosen file format in the Export As dialog and keeps it between sessions.
-
Existing documents open to your preferred units, even if they were created in different units
So I often work with people in different countries and we often have different unit preferences. I work in mm but when I open files from fellow creatives in America for example, they are often using inches.
Now I thought that my preferences being set to mm would mean it would show the files in mm, but apparently this only applies to new documents you create, not to existing files. This seems so crazy to me given the digital, remote working, globally collaborative world we live in today.
Please could this be a thing because going into the settings…
2 votes -
Updating to 2019 makes illustrator useless - downloads tons of data upon saving a file
My workflow requires opening and saving AI files with large linked pictures, stored on off-site server with low bandwidth (around 5-6 MB/s). The linked files can be big, several GB in size. When I try to save my AI, it freezes and starts downloading at full speed of the off-site storage and downloads 2-3GB of data before it saves the AI. None of previous versions had this issue/feature. It is a big deal for our company, because we work approximately 1 hour on each AI and now just saving it takes 5-10min. We need to open the AI (sometimes it…
2 votes -
Add ability to use artboard names when exporting.
When you export PDF it would be nice to save artboards to individual files with the artboard name. Naming artboards doesn't really do much right now.
2 votes
- Don't see your idea?