Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

483 results found

1. Do not change the order of characters in the Glyphs panel

Problem Description:
    If I've highlighted a character, and choose a different variation of that character in the Glyphs panel, the newly chosen variation moves to the left of the glyphs, changing the order of all the glyphs. This is really annoying. If, instead of the order of the glyphs changing, the blue highlight just moved on to the selected glyph, that would be far less confusing.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Select a character in some text
    2. Open the Glyphs panel to see the variations of that character
    3. Select a different variation

Actual Result:
    The ordering of the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Control panel like that of Indesign

I've always liked Indesign, especially its control panel top bar.

I was wondering but is it not possible to have a control bar in Illustrator like the one in Indesign?
    - bigger
    - With More controls
    - Dynamics
    - By inserting quick links to many features that Illustrator makes available to us but every time you have to go and get them from the menus / submenus and you never remember where to go.
    guy:
    - object / path / path path
    - object / path / offset
    - object / path / add points
    - object / weave
    -…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Ability to link "Data set name" upon CSV import for Variables panel

Currently when you "load variable Library" from a CSV illustrator defaults each Data Set with "Data Set 1, Data Set 2, Data Set 3, Data Set 4... ect."

Currently the only way I know to rename that data set is to manually rename each data set by selecting that data set from the drop down menu, and selecting "rename data set" from the options panel, and then either typing or copy and pasting some text in.

I use data sets for more batch like designing, it would be really nice if we could bind the data set name to…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Let us customize what shortcuts are in the right click popup panel

Allow users to select what shortcuts or tools, actions, etc... appear in the default Right click popup panel.

The same way we can choose which tools show in which docks i believe it would improve productivity speed tremendously for users using mice or devices that either have awkward or no hot key peripherals. eg a a laptop or wireless keyboard that has strange key arrangements. non cintiq users ... even cintiq users could benefit... esp. mobile users in tight places where you can't fold out wireless shortcut devices like on trains and planes, buses, cars etc...

It started with…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Always show text panel option by default (always on)

The fact that we now have to click a button to show optional items for the text panel in Illustrator hinders my workflow. It would be nice if we could make the options visible be default (always have them shown). For anyone creating logos or working with type, this is an absolute must!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add the Make Compound Path icon back to the Properties panel

A couple years ago, there was an icon (below the pathfinder tools) that appeared in the properties panel when you had multiple items selected - Make Compound Path. A subsequent update removed that tool from the properties panel. Release compound path is still available right there in the properties when the selected object happens to be a compound path. Some people suggest just using the pathfinder Union to make a compound path, but it's definitely not the same thing as making a compound path (pathfinder union on non-connected items makes a group, not a true compound path - they're…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. In the new properties, have the overflow menu at the top opposite the panel name.

Feels odd seeing the overflow menu at the bottom, where it almost looks like it's part of the panel above it. Also, by placing it at the top of each panel, this could have space.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support for ems in leading field of the type panel

When setting the leading, we have the option of "Auto" or setting a specific value in a static unit like px or pt.

It would be great if a dynamic unit like ems (as implemented in CSS) were available to make leading, and I suppose other type attributes, scalable relative to the font size.

For example, if I have a block of text set to 12pt and 1.5em, the leading would be 1.5x the point size, and therefore 18pt. If I were to alter the font size to 20px, the leading would still be 1.5em and therefore would scale automatically…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Make varibles column resizeable in variables panel

In the Variables panel you have two columns, "Variables" and "Objects". The column width is locked so you can't resize the width to match the length of the variables. This make it difficult to use when you have longer variables and can't see the full name of the variable. I have a lot of variables with the same name, but with an incrementing number at the end of the name. It would make it way easier to work, if i could see what variable i'm working on.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Layers panel dimensions dynamically resize, or have tools cling to bottom of layers list

When I open a layer, the layer list is quite long so I need a tall panel. However when they're collapsed it's a much shorter list and suddenly the trashcan button is super far away from where I'm working in the layers. It would be nice if the panel automatically resized to keep the toolbar near the list, or otherwise have the toolbar cling to the bottom of the layers list so it's easily accessible when working in that panel. The dynamic resizing would also be helpful when you have the panel sized to be shorter, and open…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Interface  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. CreativeCloud history backup for lost files.

What if we have a Cloud history for any step we make in Adobe products to backup if we lost the file or don't save in accident? like Time Machine. I want to revive lost updates that I didn't save.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Give Pattern swatch an indicator icon in the Swatches panel

An often made mistake is that users drag a rectangle, filled with a color to the swatches panel, thinking that they added a new color swatch. In reality they created a pattern. Looking at the Swatches panel it is sometimes difficult to see the difference. In the attached example it is impossible to see which of the two green swatches is a color swatch or a pattern swatch. It would be good to have an indicator for pattern swatches, like spot or global color swatches. This is important when users want to to create a new pattern, fill parts…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Character panel in Properties Tab needs just one more row, please!

The Properties Panel is great. It contains about 98% of every tool I need typically. However, I would be great to have at least ONE MORE ROW of the Character panel visible. Certainly everyone uses Scale when setting type? It's a fundamental necessity. This would prevent having to click MORE OPTIONS every single time just to horizontal scale. Simple but huge. Thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Extended Tools Panel

Less frequently used tools (in my case: Scissors, Paint Bucket) are hard to find in the standard Tools Palette. Wouldn't it be great when Illustrator had a preset to show all tools at a glance (on my 30" screen...)?

I know that it is possible to create custom tools panels - but especially when creating those, it's nice to have a view on all tools at once!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Select elements of a compound object in the Layers panel

I don't understand why a compound object can't be expanded in the Layers panel to reveal its elements, and let me select and manage them. Just like I can see and select elements in a (clip) group, and cat go to into isolation mode with a compound. What's the rationale to prevent this ?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Unable to Resize Tool Panels (vertical axis)

Cannot 'grab' the bottom edge of a panel in the right column to move up or down. Panel size seems 'locked.' This causes lots of wasted space in the right column tool set UI. This problem exists in both the Essentials workspace and the Essentials Classic. This was not an issue in previous versions of Ai. Thanks for addressing this bug!

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

I am closing the ticket due to lack of response.
    Please get in touch with us at sharewithai@adobe.com or any of the other support channels.
    Since this is not a generic issue that we can reproduce at our end, we will need someone to look into your machine to figure out what is going on here.

17. Select Options Panel (available within workspace view)

While working on complex illustrations I find myself frequently needing to switch the 'SELECT OBJECT BY PATH ONLY' option off and on.

It would be hugely helpful if a 'SELECT OPTIONS' panel was available directly within the workspace.

Alternatively, a preference which offers 'SELECT IGNORES DROP-SHADOWS' would make life so much easier too. Quite often it's necessary to select an object by its fill rather the the path. Problem is, drop shadows of nearby objects keep getting in the way.

Only option is to lock objects or layers... this can be extremely frustrating when you need to lock and unlock…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow docked tool panels to stack one under another

For now a docked tool panel takes the whole column, not matter how short it is. It forces us to clump all custom tools in one panel. Normal panels can stack any way possible.
    Please, give us the possibility to dock tool panels in rows too.

Also look related request about separators in tool panels:
    https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/41861230-bring-back-separators-in-toolboxes-we-can-place-wh

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Fonts do not displaying on Character panel

Select the text inside the illustrator and character panel is empty, never show any fonts be using. My computer didn't install the fonts but can display correctly in illustrator.
    When exported to PDF, can check the fonts is using Lora-Bold.

I'm really frustrated and worries, how to check incoming files if always having this issue.

Please help on this method.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Easier way to find object in large file with small blue bar above layers panel

Working in larger files, it's hard to find the exact object selected. What if there was a blue bar that highlighted which way to scroll? (top of the layers panel scroll up, bottom of the layers panel scroll down) to find it rather than looking for the blue box next to the object's layer? When you click on the blue bar, it takes you directly to the selected object. If multiple objects are selected, you could keep clicking the button to go to the next object down the list.

I've attached a photoshoped mockup of what I am trying to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 24 25
  • Don't see your idea?