Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

204 results found

1. Save as pdf (range) without ALL canvases being saved in the background

See here:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/single-page-pdf-from-illustrator-includes-all-canvases-in-document/m-p/12564633#M300920

When I save a range from a multiple-canvas Illustrator document, the pdf in Acrobat shows only the range requested, but when opening the pdf back into Illustrator, ALL canvases from the original document are in the document.

Example (see also screenshots):
    I have a simple Illustrator document with 72 canvases. When I save ONE canvas from that document (Save as PDF, range X, Press quality), the pdf it creates shows to have only one page, but the file size of the pdf is 20+Mb, which for this simple work is exorbitantly high. Upon opening the pdf back…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Multiple Artboard Alignment at same time

My name is Mujtaba from Pakistan, And I have been working as a Professional Designer.
    It is stated, that when we have multiple artboards, and when we need to arrange all the group or individual Object/Element in all artboard, we are enable to do so using Adobe illustrator CC 2021 yet.
    For example: We have 20 artboards and 20 different objects, now someone like to arrange each object in their own artboard, then there should be option that the object inside each artboard arrange to it's self. We have to arrange individually abroad and object one by one which takes…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Randomizer

We've all come across a time when we needed to repeat an element, but it needs to be transformed slightly different in each instance, whether that be position, rotation, reflection, scale or shearing. So, I propose a randomizing tool/function that you could use to make that happen. First you draw the elements you wanted to be randomly affected, then draw a shape to enclose them all. Select "Randomize" and they become something like a group.. You select one, and they're all selected. You could transform one, and the amount that you transformed it would be the limit any of them…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Scale Multiple Objects Separately

I wish there was a way to simultaneously scale a set of objects. Say I have 20 shapes that are all different sizes, but I want them to all be 200pxH x _W. It would be nice to be able to select them all and choose the point to scale from, as usual, but then have them all scale to the size given - so some might shrink, some might enlarge, etc. depending on their previous sizes. And it would be nice to turn on or off the skew/constrain proportions. Seems kinda surprising that this functionality isn't in Ai. If…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Change the scale of the document's rulers

As you've just done for the dimensioning of objects, I'd like to be able to change the scale at which I draw my document by right-clicking in the ruler. I work in technical illustration and draw images of very large machines (20 to 150 m). I have to use CorelDraw (which has always had this function) and copy them into Illustrator to rework them.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Separations Preview should show colour values

The Separations Preview panel doesn't show the colour values of each colour channel at the cursor location. This makes checking the total values of overprinted spot colours or taking colour-value readings from inside gradients impossible. As such, it's only half useful. If it works in InDesign, the expectation is that it works in Illustrator.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. It would be great to have more control of the .jpg compression settings in "Export for Screens"

It would be great is more granular control of the .jpg compression settings. Right now we can only export at 100, 80, 50 and 20. We find that 60% compression is often the sweet spot between size and quality. Having a user adjustable slider or more presets would be great. It is another reason why we are still using the legacy export.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Adobe Illustrator Scripting VERY slow - C#

Adobe Illustrator Scripting VERY slow - C#
    Hello,

i'm developting a small library to access PathObjects in Illustrator (works fine for CS2, CS5) - but i have massive performance problems with CC2019. I am using VS2017.

Code looks like:

Type AIType = Type.GetTypeFromProgID(AIAppName);
    dynamic illuApp = Activator.CreateInstance(AIType);

if (illuApp == null)
    {
    return;
    }

if (illuApp.Documents.Count < 1)
    {
    return;
    }

System.Array lll = illuApp.ActiveDocument.selection;
    if (lll != null)
    {
    for (int i = 0; i < lll.Length; i++)
    {
    dynamic path = lll.GetValue(i);
    if (path != null)
    {
    var lll2 = path.PathPoints;
    Application.DoEvents();
    int iSelCount = lll2.Count;
    if (iSelCount…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Contextual Eyedropper Tool

Currently, the Eyedropper Tool is an underutilized and often counter-intuitive tool that needlessly increases the complexity of a workflow because of its limitations. This- combined with Illustrator's poor color tools- often adds unnecessary time and effort to what should and could be more simplified tasks.

For example, a common situation is that I have a shape with a fill color that I like, and I want another shape that has a stroke to also use that color, except only for the stroke. Currently, if I use the eyedropper tool on the filled shape, it will completely remove the stroke and…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    The solution to that would be to activate a stroke if you want to apply a color to it, then to hold Shift when clicking a color — does not matter where this color is on a stroke or a fill. Illustrator then applies the picked color to the active fill/stroke, ignoring the source nature. There are two things to know — the cursor does not inform you about this mode (unlike the Alt-mode, should be addressed), and if you pick a color from a swatch — you’d get a screen representation of the color... harmless for RGB documents (if your color settings are in order), but crucial for CMYK documents (should be addressed too). Pleas comment back.
  10. Voice Over Accessibility UX - When the cursor hovers over Tool Tips and Labels etc, speak the text.

Voice Over Accessibility UX - When the cursor hovers over Tool Tips and Labels etc, speak the text. This is a basic web accessibility feature not included in CC suite. I have used the Adobe software for more than 20 years but with macular degeneration it is difficult for me to read small texts. Tell your colleagues at PhotoShop and InDesign about this.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Image Trace options

I’ve been an Adobe user for over 20 years. I used to love using Streamline to convert raster to vector and then make adjustments to the levels before going to the direct select tool for further adjustments. I suggest adding in the adjustment/level options to Image Trace as Streamline used to have rather than just default vectorizing of images. Please do this. I’ve been meaning to suggest this for years. Thanks!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Shift key to draw lines by understanding the direction I want it to go

I have used AI for 20+ years and a lot of little things could use improving.

One of them is the shift-line coding that makes a straight line when you hold the shift key down. More times than not, the line is drawn in a direction I did not intend and I have to keep redoing. I am assuming that the software registers the first micro millimeters of a direction I am going in instead of understanding that 99.9999% of the momentum of my cursor is in a DIFFERENT direction.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Package/collect multiple illustrator files at once for sending to printers like "Art Files 3" does.

We currently use Art Files 3 to package multiple ai files at once without having to individually open the illustrator files. With the new Illustrator 2023, Art Files 3 is no longer compatible and they also seem to be out of business. We send anywhere from 3-20 files at once on a regular basis. Working with multiple artboards in one file is not an option. We need to find a subsitute app or a solution that can package miltiple files, fonts and images (both embedded and linked) all at once like Art Files.. We can't use the AI package feature…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. disable few pixel width zoom

When I zoom in and out, I often accidentally move the mouse a tiny bit and it assumes I want to zoom in to a couple pixel area.

This has happened to me thousands of times and I have never, not once, needed to zoom into a tiny section of my work.

If the zoom plus or minus overrode the tiniest of selections that are just inadvertent miniscule movements, I think that would help people a LOT.

Also, still waiting for an export raster setting, becouse doing all this manually (render, import, place) is such a waste of time. That…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Transformations with constrained randomizations

Randomize transformations but constrain them to multiples of set increments, eg 45°, 20° or 2mm, 10mm. Randomize colors. Apply transform to a percentage of objects (or a random percentage). Apply random to each transform individually, eg, rotate, move, not globally as now.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. SVG scalable vector export option for use in Microsoft applications

Please include an .svg format without code or mobile device use that will hold clipping, gradients, etc. to use as scalable vector artwork to be placed in MSO applications. This was not an issue in previous versions of Illustrator.

I provide scalable vector artwork from my projects for my clients who work in Microsoft applications by placing "Picture from File" in a PowerPoint Catalog.

When exporting, I get an error message: "Clipping will be lost on roundtrip to Tiny" when opening them back up and the artwork is distorted.

I got better results with "Save a copy" however, I still…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Exchange entire Illustrator Team!

Two decades of leading customers around with this (still) child [Illustrator] is enough. Just lay down your work dear current Illustrator Team! You won't get anywhere, and let new people start over. It is 20 Years now since I've started with Illustrator (post Macromedia (RIP) Freehand) and it still sucks so hard. Unbelievable that Shantanu Narayen (Adobe CEO) does not seeing this. Wasted companies money and nerves of millions of users. Get a life.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Export revisions only

When making minor updates to an existing presentation or pdf, option to "Export Revisions Only" to an existing file name or pdf - similar to Adobe Acrobat's new feature to detect changes between similar documents, this feature allows you export/update only the pages with revisions into an existing .pdf file. This saves a lot of export time when a client asks for several small revisions to a 10-20+ page presentation or document.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make Smooth command to have the persist/sticky option

I like the new Smooth command and I'm using it frequently enough that it would be nice to have a persist/sticky option for it instead of repeatedly going back to the Object menu.

Also, I find that smoothing of 20% works well for a lot of shapes I'm editing but could the bar be enhanced with a few click-to bars to speed up this process (see attached). Maybe include this for the Simplify command as well.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Can you focus updates to really work? Please do proper testing. I'm tired of contacting customer service very month

I contact customer service at least once a month, and before, when i got the program without online creative suite i never had to contact anyone, it worked amazingly, and now.. literally every update is a nightmare.. please stop doing updates for the sake of doing updates, take the monthly money but make something that we can rely on. not a program that makes my life harder... now i can't open files i used 20 days ago because a plug in, Ai 2019 and 2020 not compatible? Please// this is ridic

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base