Skip to content

Illustrator (Desktop) Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
  2. Why is this valuable to you?
  • or

543 results found

1. Automatically make gradients by just selecting two or more colours.

Create a default gradient of two or more colours just by selecting them on the artwork or on the swatches panel without having to copy and paste the color codes separately.

150 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Links 'Reveal in Finder / Explorer' function as in InDesign

Add an extra Links panel function under or above 'Reveal in Bridge' called maybe 'Reveal in Finder', as already exists in InDesign.

89 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Separations Preview Panel has the same layout as Swatch Panel

When using Separations Preview it would be very beneficial to have the colour list arranged in the same order, format and groups as the Swatches Panel.

This could allow grouped colours to be turned on or off in groups and matching the list order would make the whole thing more logical.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Include Select Similar Objects button and dropdown in the Properties panel

Please add Select Similar (same, colour, stroke, etc...) button, to new Properties panel(2018). And option for aligning one single object to artboard in Properties panel, would by fine too(without entering Align panel).

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Highlight/Select values within box on panels on single click

I am unsure if this is OS specific or not, but it would be a welcome quality-of-life change. I use an Apple laptop and a Windows desktop.

Within Photoshop on Mac, if you click within the 'Character Size' box inside the Properties panel the entirety of the characters are highlighted to then be replaced. Unknown to me, this behavior is actually not consistent throughout every other Adobe program on Mac OS (as it should be).

It seems that on Windows, the behavior is set to only highlight on a double-click as well. This isn't the end of the world but…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Ability to save presets for each tab in 3D and Materials panels: Object, Materials, Lighting

Illustrator allows us to save appearance attributes as graphic styles, but recently we got the complex 3D and Materials effect that has a lot of different parameters in it.

The current system allows us to save all of these parameters altogether: extrusion depth, rotation angles, material settings, applied lights...
    But if we need to save ONE of these — that is, for example, only the material, or only the lights, or only extrusion and rotations, — Ai does not provide means to do it.

Please introduce a system to save presets per each tab the 3D and Materials panel has:…

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Gradient properties in the properties panel

I am liking the new properties panel, but currently if i want to fill an object with a gradient, i still need to access this via its own window. Would be great if gradient options could be incorporated into the Appearance section of the Properties Panel

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Illustrator forgets which color mode is set in the Color palette (and Gradient)

Color panel always starts with RGB values. That's useless or very hard to use 99% of the time. So first thing for me is to set my Color panel to HSB and it stays like that for that session, but after a restart it's RGB again. Always!
    Gradient panel is even worse because it forgets instantly.
    Standard gradient's pop up color select is a Grayscale slider. I've never in my life needed that - not to mention HSB has the same with the value slider. But this bothers me less than what follows:
    If I change Grayscale to HSB and…

101 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Artboard-specific Layers

When working with multiple artboards, it would be very helpful to have artboard-specific layers displayed on the Layers panel as opposed to one long blob of all layers from all artboards.

73 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Adobe CC Library Dropdown Categories and Groups

Adobe CC Library Dropdown Categories and Groups + Backup

Categories - I work for a large company, and while I LOVE the libraries, I hate scrolling. I'd love to be able to categorize them; for example, "Branding," "Imagery," "Products," "Stock," "Case Studies," "Creative" to cut down on the mega scroll effect.

Groups - Reiterating what another user said, group folders WITHIN the libraries would be very useful for one-off clients (or product launches) where you need to have lots of information in one library collection.

Backup - We need to be able to backup these libraries or have history restore…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. "recolor artwork" undo

CAn we have an option to undo within the "recolor artwork" panel?

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Yes, the Recolor dialog does not have its own undo stack, and all changes are permanent. Since Recolor is often used as an experimentation tool, this behavior limits the freedom and forces users to avoid it and loose applied settings.

The team is now aware of the situation and hopefully some changes will be made.

12. Ability to UNDO not only actual changes to objects but also selections

Basically what title says.
    Now if you select multiple objects and mess up your selection (accidentally deselect everything, select something that you do not want etc.) you have to select everything all over again (or carefully pick out unwanted objects). And there is no option to undo that.
    In applications such as 3ds Max, for example, you can do that — undo history counts in every act of selecting and deselecting, even for individual vertices.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other...  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. link panel shows what layer the (missing) link is on and/or makes 'go to link' work on hidden layers too.

When links are missing that are on a hidden layer there is no way to easily spot them and check on in multilayered files. Since the GoToLink function only works on active layers, there is no other way but showing ALL layers and then using this function, remembering the layer and then hide the layers again; a painstaking procedure with large multilayered files. Would be nice if the link panel would simply state on which layer the missing link resides. Or make the GoToLink function automatically make the appropriate layer visible, like when pasting onto a hidden layer with 'paste…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Locked objects Show a "lock" icon Like InDesign

A great feature to have in Illustrator is to unlock the locked object by clicking on the Lock icon next to the object. its hard to tell which object is locked except by going to object -> unlock All, or Check the Layers Panel. Adobe InDesign has this feature for years.

90 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Have a panel that shows info and keyboard modifiers for the current tool

All Adobe applications are quite complex beasts, and what all the tools do and particularly what holding different modifiers or keys do can be quite arcane.

I imagine a panel you can have open on the side, and it will show information and the modifier options for the currently active tool.

For instance for the Star tool, it can say what Shift, Option and Command keys do, and that you can press Arrow Up and Arrow Down to increase the number of points as you drag.

Pro users can keep the panel closed, but it can really help new users…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Bulleted and Numbered lists (like InDesign)

This would be a quick easy way to format a paragraph where each paragraph return becomes a bullet or numbered/lettered list item.

Numbers in numbered lists would be updated automatically when you add or remove paragraphs in the list. Bullets would also flow accordingly when edited.

InDesign has both a "Bulleted List button" and "Numbered List button" in the Control Panel and if these features were added to Illustrator they would be very popular.

182 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Give the Colors panel a useful color picker

Illustrator has a number of different color pickers that appear depending on what particular item you click on, but the one in the color panel is the least useful and most tiring to use.

As far as I can tell, this picker is the Brightness Cube from Photoshop but without the brightness slider that’s needed to make effective use of it. If you use the sliders to adjust saturation or brightness, the change isn’t reflected in the palette square.

With this picker, you can either reduce saturation but with maximum brightness, OR you can reduce brightness but with maximum saturation.…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Layers Panel: Layers Name Available Width

I like my Layers Panel thumbnails to be large, like really large, larger than 'Large' for sure, so that i can easily see what's going on. I also like to name my layers briefly but accurately for the same reason. I don't have a big, wide screen however, so for me every tiny width saving matters. And here i come to the thing that infuriates me: why does Illustrator already trim layers names when there is still plenty room for them to be displayed in full?

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Change the Separations Preview panel to behave like it does in InDesign

Can you change the Separations Preview panel in Illustrator to behave just like it does in InDesign? The Separations Preview panel in InDesign shows the percentage of each color separation when you hover over an area of the artwork, and includes the Ink Limit option. Both of those features would be extremely useful in Illustrator.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Select more than one layer at once

Okay if you have more than one layer...let's say 50 and I need to select 20 of them. Why can't someone select them with a single click instead of selecting every single layer? With shift selected I can mark more than one but they aren't selected. Same thing for sublayers and so on.

295 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

69 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Everyone, This feature has been available since August 2020 release (version 24.3). Please update to the latest release using Creative Cloud desktop App: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html Thank you for all the feedback.

You can now select multiple layers in Layers panel. Click the bars (they get highlighted blue) if you want to operate layers and not their content (e.g. to drag to reorder) or click their markers to select their content — circle (target ones) or square (selection ones) next to them. There is no real difference which to pick, but if you want to select a range of layers, using Shift, use target markers.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base